- Direct Edge
Direct Edge Headquarters Jersey City, New Jersey Website www.directedge.com
Direct Edge is a Jersey City, NJ-based stock exchange operating two separate platforms, EDGA Exchange and EDGX Exchange. Since March 2009, Direct Edge has had a market share in the range of 9%-12% of U.S. equities trading volume, regularly trades 1 billion to 2 billion shares per day. Direct Edge jockeys with BATS Trading to be the third largest stock market in the United States, behind the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ.
The firm began in 1998 as an electronic communications network (ECN) under the name Attain. In 2005, the assets of Attain were purchased by Knight Capital Group and subsequently spun-off two years later as the re-branded Direct Edge ECN. The spin-off brought in new management as well as new ownership – Citadel Derivatives Group and Goldman Sachs were brought in as partners alongside Knight. The partnership was further diluted when in 2008 the International Securities Exchange relinquished operational control of their stock exchange arm to Direct Edge in return for a 31.5% stake.
On March 12, 2010 Direct Edge received official approval from the US Securities and Exchange Commission to convert both EDGA and EDGX ECN platforms into two newly established national securities exchanges. In July 2010, Direct Edge successfully made the transition, decommissioning both ECN platforms and the ISE Stock Exchange, leaving what is now America’s newest stock exchange.
Direct Edge currently trades all US listed equities – Tape A (NYSE listed), Tape B (Arca/Amex listed) and Tape C (Nasdaq listed). Hours of operation are from 8:00am to 8:00pm with the regular trading session designated between the hours of 9:30am and 4:00pm. EDGA is identified as “J” for all trades and quotes posted to the Security Information Processor (public quote stream) and EDGX is identified as “K.”
Direct Edge is led by Chief Executive Officer William O’Brien. Bryan Harkins serves as Chief Operating Officer.
- Direct Edge matches over 1 billion shares for the first time on Tuesday, February 10, 2009.
- Direct Edge captures all-time high 12.9% market share for the month of August 2009.
- March 2009, Direct Edge passes BATS Trading in monthly matched market share making it the third largest stock market operator in the US, a position it held for 11 consecutive months.
- Direct Edge officially launches its two stock exchanges, EDGA and EDGX, on July 21, 2010.
- ^ "Direct Edge Says IPO Possible After Exchange Status". Bloomberg Businessweek. 21 July 2010. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-21/direct-edge-says-ipo-possible-after-exchange-status.html.
- ^ "Direct Edge and ISE Stock Exchange to Form Single Market". Traders Magazine. 22 August 2008. http://www.tradersmagazine.com/news/101939-1.html.
- ^ "Direct Edge set to Become 4th US Stock Exchange". Reuters. 12 March 2010. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62B4LE20100312.
- ^ "Now an Exchange, Direct Edge Looks to Add Revenue and Cut Costs". Traders Magazine. 22 July 2010. http://www.tradersmagazine.com/news/direct-edge-edga-edgx-exchange-market-data-clearing-106092-1.html.
- ^ "Direct Edge Matches Once Billion Shares, Edging Closer to Competition". Advanced Trading. 12 February 2010. http://www.advancedtrading.com/crossingnetworks/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=LQLFQIN1J2XZPQE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN?articleID=213900993&_requestid=155770.
- ^ "Direct Edge Rides Citi to Record Trading Shares". The Wall Street Journal. 4 September 2009. http://commerce.wsj.com/auth/badcredentials?mg=com-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB125198562902183315.html%3FKEYWORDS%3D%2522direct%2Bedge%2522&user=rtaveirne.
- ^ "Direct Edge See Jump in Trading". The Wall Street Journal. 17 March 2009. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123729775258855701.html?KEYWORDS=direct+edge.
- ^ "Direct Edge Completes Exchange Transition". The Trade News. 21 July 2010. http://www.thetradenews.com/trading-venues/exchanges/4835.
- flash trading
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Direct-response marketing — is a form of marketing designed to solicit a direct response which is specific and quantifiable. The delivery of the response is direct between the viewer and the advertiser, that is, the customer responds to the marketer directly. This is in… … Wikipedia
Direct bonding — describes a wafer bonding process without any additional intermediate layers. The bonding process is based on chemical bonds between two surfaces of any material possible meeting numerous requirements. These requirements are specified for the… … Wikipedia
Edge of Victory: Conquest — Edge of Victory I: Conquest Author Greg Keyes Cover Artist Terese Nielsen Country USA Language English Era New Jedi O … Wikipedia
Direct voice — (or independent voice) is defined as a paranormally produced voice, often in seances conducted in the presense of a physical medium.HistoryThroughout the history of Spiritualism, mechanical devices have been used in attempts to contact the dead.… … Wikipedia
direct hernia — direct inguinal hernia an inguinal hernia that goes directly into the inguinal canal through an opening between the inferior epigastric artery and the edge of the rectus abdominis muscle … Medical dictionary
Direct and indirect band gaps — In semiconductor physics, the band gap of a semiconductor is always one of two types, a direct band gap or an indirect band gap. The band gap is called direct if the momentum of electrons and holes is the same in both the conduction band and the… … Wikipedia
Direct market — Display window of comic book store in Harvard Square The direct market is the dominant distribution and retail network for North American comic books. It consists of one dominant distributor and the majority of comics specialty stores, as well as … Wikipedia
Direct manipulation interface — In computer science, direct manipulation is a human computer interaction style which involves continuous representation of objects of interest, and rapid, reversible, incremental actions and feedback. The intention is to allow a user to directly… … Wikipedia
Edge Technologies — Infobox Company company name = Edge Technologies, Inc. company type = Private company foundation = 1993 location city = Fairfax, Virginia location country = USA CEO = Laurence Chang industry = Enterprise software IT Services products = enPortal,… … Wikipedia
Direct action (military) — For other uses, see Direct action (disambiguation). In the context of military special operations, direct action (DA) consists of: Short duration strikes and other small scale offensive actions conducted as a special operation in hostile, denied … Wikipedia