- Diary (Sunny Day Real Estate album)
Diary Studio album by Sunny Day Real Estate Released May 10, 1994 Recorded November 1993 Genre Emo
Length 52:47 Label Sub Pop Producer Brad Wood Sunny Day Real Estate chronology Diary
Sunny Day Real Estate
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating The A.V Club (A) link Allmusic link BBC Music (favorable) link Drowned In Sound (8/10) link Pitchfork Media (8.7/10) link
Diary is the debut studio album from the Seattle-based emo band Sunny Day Real Estate. The album is considered by many to be a defining emo album of the second wave. It has also been called the missing link between post-hardcore and the nascent emo genre.
Diary was remastered and reissued in 2009, with bonus tracks "8" and "9" from their 1993 7-inch Thief, Steal Me A Peach and newly written liner notes.
The album was different from those released by popular Seattle grunge bands at the time. Its melodic but urgent sound has had a clear mark on future emo groups. It is the seventh best selling album released on Sub Pop, having sold more than 231,000 copies.
The album was released on CD, vinyl and cassette. The vinyl has been released in three limited edition pressings, all of which are out of print. The first was a multi-colored splatter vinyl, released on "Glitterhouse Records" in Germany. The second was a black vinyl pressing on Sub Pop. A repress followed on green vinyl (and possibly a second black pressing), but the label for this second pressing states "Edition II" under the Sub Pop logo. All three vinyl pressings are missing 3 songs that are present on the CD, possibly due to the time constraints of vinyl (the album clocks in at 53 minutes). The missing songs are "Round", "48" and "Grendel". The 2009 double LP re-issue contains all 11 songs from the original album, and two bonus tracks.
The artwork of the album was almost entirely done by Chris Thompson. However, the "butterfly" drawing on the album's booklet was created by Nate Mendel's father. The album cover features the popular children's toy Little People.
The song "Seven" features in Guitar Hero 5, and it was also released on the Rock Band Network on July 5, 2010. Sub Pop plans to release the rest of the band's discography (and the label's entire catalog) eventually on the Rock Band Network.
No. Title Length 1. "Seven" 4:45 2. "In Circles" 4:58 3. "Song About an Angel" 6:14 4. "Round" 4:10 5. "47" 4:34 6. "The Blankets Were the Stairs" 5:27 7. "Pheurton Skeurto" 2:33 8. "Shadows" 4:46 9. "48" 4:46 10. "Grendel" 4:53 11. "Sometimes" 5:43Total length: 52:52
- "In Circles"
- "Rodeo Jones"
- "Song About an Angel"
- Jeremy Enigk – vocals, guitar, typesetting
- Dan Hoerner – guitar, vocals, typesetting
- Nate Mendel - bass
- William Goldsmith – drums
- Brad Wood – producer, engineer, mixing
- Lynn Hamrick – photography
- Chris Thompson – artwork
- ^ "'Diary' album review on Allmusic.com". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r203500. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- ^ http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080722/ART/840436685/-1/NEWS
- ^ http://www.subpop.com/releases/sunny_day_real_estate/full_lengths/diary_2009_edition
- ^ http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1543106/20061013/sunny_day_real_estate.jhtml
- ^ http://idolator.com/350162/sub-pop-turns-20-sends-zach-braff-an-ftd-bouquet
- ^ http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5003064
- ^ http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/22/sub-pop-announces-support-for-rock-band-network-starting-this-fa
Sunny Day Real Estate Jeremy Enigk · William Goldsmith · Nate Mendel · Dan Hoerner
Jeff Palmer · Joe Skyward
Studio albums Live albums Related articlesBandsOtherDiscography
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.