- The Devil's Mode
The stories included are varied in their settings and themes and display Burgess's characteristic wide range, while touching on such themes as the private life of Shakespeare, which he speculated on in his novel Nothing Like the Sun, and the lives of British expatriates in the Far East, explored by Burgess in his Malayan trilogy.
- A Meeting in Valladolid – Shakespeare, on tour in Spain, encounters Cervantes.
- The Most Beautified – A surreal, metaphysical examination of beauty.
- The Cavalier of The Rose – A literary adaptation of the opera libretto Der Rosenkavalier by Hugo von Hofmannsthal.
- 1889 and The Devil's Mode – Claude Debussy, while visiting the Rossettis in London, meets Mallarmé, whose Afternoon of a Faun he sets to music.
- Wine of The Country – A tale of infidelity and sexual licence concerning a British couple in Brunei.
- Snow – A loosely autobiographical story of a British man in Malaya during the dying days of the British Empire, intended as a counterpoint to W. Somerset Maugham's "Rain".
- The Endless Voyager – An updated The Flying Dutchman, transferred to the airline era.
- Hun – The longest of the stories, a novella about Attila the Hun as he prepares to devastate the Roman Empire.
- Murder to Music – A pastiche of a Sherlock Holmes story sees the great sleuth solve a symphonic crime.
Works of Anthony Burgess NovelsThe Malayan Trilogy · Time for a Tiger · The Enemy in the Blanket · Beds in the East · The Right to an Answer · The Doctor is Sick · The Worm and the Ring · Devil of a State · One Hand Clapping · A Clockwork Orange · The Wanting Seed · Honey for the Bears · Inside Mr. Enderby · The Eve of St. Venus · Nothing Like the Sun · A Vision of Battlements · Tremor of Intent · Enderby Outside · M/F · Napoleon Symphony · The Clockwork Testament · Beard's Roman Women · Abba Abba · 1985 · Man of Nazareth · Earthly Powers · The End of the World News · Enderby's Dark Lady · The Kingdom of the Wicked · The Pianoplayers · Any Old Iron · Mozart and the Wolf Gang · A Dead Man in Deptford · Byrne Short storiesThe Devil's Mode PoetryMoses: A Narrative · Revolutionary Sonnets Essays Critical works Operettas Symphonies Autobiography This article about a collection of short stories is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.