- National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education
NATFHE Full name National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education Founded 1904 Date dissolved 1 June 2006 Merged into University and College Union Members 67,000 Country United Kingdom Affiliation TUC Key people John Wilkin, final president
Paul Mackney, final general secretary
Office location London, UK Website www.natfhe.org.uk
The National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education (NATFHE) was the British trade union and professional association for people working with those above statutory school age, and primarily concerned with providing education, training or research. In the higher education sector it was mainly concentrated in the Post 16 sector.
In 2004 NATFHE celebrated 100 years since the London-based Association of Teachers in Technical Institutes was formed. ATTI grew and became NATFHE on 1 January 1976 following amalgamation with the Association of Teachers in Colleges and Departments of Education (ATCDE). As of 2005 it had 67,000 members.
On December 2, 2005 the results of a membership ballot on a merger of AUT and NATFHE was announced. The merger was supported by 79.2% of AUT and 95.7% of NATFHE members who voted. The two unions amalgamated on 1 June 2006, and then entered a transitional year until full operational unity is achieved in June 2007. The new union is called the University and College Union (UCU).
Until the merger, AUT and NATFHE members in higher education were involved in ongoing 'action short of a strike' - including boycotting setting and marking exams and other coursework in universities and this action continued under the UCU banner. AUT and NATFHE rejected an offer of 12.6% over three years which was made on the 8th of May, and a further offer of 13.12% over three years made on 30 May,. Concerns grew that students might not be able to graduate in 2006  until the industrial action was suspended at midnight on June 7 while members were balloted on a new offer,.
On the last day of its final conference NATFHE passed motion 198C, a call to boycott Israeli academics who did not vocally speak out against their government. This was met with criticism from the Anti-Defamation League, a representative of the British Government, Nobel laureates  and even the AUT.
- 1904: J. Wilson
- 1908: P. Abbott
- 192x: J. Wickham Murray
- 1941?: William Evans
- 195x: A. E. Evans
- 1955: Ernest Arthur Seeley
- 1960: Edward Britton
- 1969: Tom Driver
- 1979: Peter Dawson
- 1989: Geoff Woolf
- 1994: John Akker
- 1997: Paul Mackney
- NATFHE official website
- ^ "UCU - University and College Union - AUT members reject employers' final offer". Aut.org.uk. 2006-05-15. http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1661. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UCU - University and College Union - HOME". Natfhe.org.uk. 2008-12-03. http://www.natfhe.org.uk/?entityType=HTML&id=1249. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UCU - University and College Union - AUT seeks two-year pay deal and full review into finances for the third year". Aut.org.uk. 2006-05-31. http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1691. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UCU - University and College Union - HOME". Natfhe.org.uk. 2008-12-03. http://www.natfhe.org.uk/?entityType=HTML&id=1281. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UK | Education | Students 'not able to graduate'". BBC News. 2006-05-13. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4768037.stm. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "University and College Union - Members mark UCU launch with HE pay solidarity events". UCU. 2006-06-01. http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1695. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UK | Education | Lecturers stage march over pay". BBC News. 2006-06-01. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5034212.stm. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ ADL Slams British Academic Boycott Policy, Anti-Defamation League, 26 May 2006, accessed 16 May 2008
- ^ Lecturers call for Israel boycott, British Broadcasting Corporation, 30 May 2006. Retrieved September 16, 2006.
- ^ "Times Higher Education - World University Rankings, education news and university jobs". Thes.co.uk. http://www.thes.co.uk/current_edition/story.aspx?story_id=2030206. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "UCU - University and College Union - NATFHE motion on proposed boycott of Israeli academics – an AUT statement". Aut.org.uk. 2006-05-30. http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1684. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.