- Dear Agony
Dear Agony Studio album by Breaking Benjamin Released September 29, 2009 Recorded September 2008–March 2009 Genre Alternative metal, post-grunge Length 41:52 Label Hollywood Producer David Bendeth Breaking Benjamin chronology Phobia
Shallow Bay: The Best of Breaking Benjamin
Singles from Dear Agony
- "I Will Not Bow"
Released: August 11, 2009
- "Give Me a Sign"
Released: January 5, 2010
- "Lights Out"
Released: June 15, 2010
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating About.com  Allmusic  Sputnikmusic  Ultimate Guitar (8.7/10)
Dear Agony is the fourth studio album by American rock band Breaking Benjamin. It was released on September 29, 2009. A Best Buy edition, Japanese import version, and Zune exclusive version were also released, all of which feature bonus content. It is the last album released by the band to feature lead guitarist Aaron Fink and bassist Mark Klepaski.
Breaking Benjamin began writing for Dear Agony during 2008. The recording process began in September, leading to its release one year later. The cover of the album is an MRI scan of frontman Benjamin Burnley's head. Burnley has cited Dear Agony as the first album he has written sober. After the album's release it entered the Billboard 200 Chart at #4 selling roughly 134,000 copies in its first week, slightly more than Phobia. It also topped the iTunes download charts in the first week of its release. As of February 16, 2010, "Dear Agony" has been certified Gold by the RIAA. "Lights Out" was used to promote the game Halo: Reach.
On September 23, 2009, Breaking Benjamin released an online browser game constructed from Adobe Flash which is a parody of Altered Beast, aptly titled "Altered Benjamin". The game contains three levels and plays the same as the original, except the player controls vocalist Benjamin Burnley and the three bosses are each other member of the band respectively. The game also features the debut of the songs "Fade Away" and "Crawl".
Limited edition copies of Dear Agony purchased at Best Buy also included a bonus DVD that features the band's six music videos, including a previously unreleased version of the video for "I Will Not Bow". The version on the DVD is of the band only and does not contain any footage from the feature-film Surrogates, unlike the main version released online.
On September 29, 2009, "I Will Not Bow" was released as a downloadable track for the video games Rock Band and Rock Band 2. On February 16, 2010, "Give Me a Sign", "Until the End" and "Sooner or Later" were released as downloadable content for Guitar Hero 5.
"I Will Not Bow" was released for sale on August 31 as the album's first single. It was released to the radio and the band's MySpace page on August 11, 2009 instead of the planned date, August 17, 2009 due to a leak by their hometown radio station, WBSX. This single is featured in the film Surrogates, with the music video containing scenes from the movie. On November 13, 2009, the official music video for "I Will Not Bow" was released on YouTube. This version, however, did not contain scenes from the movie Surrogates.
The Zune exclusive version of the album includes "Blow Me Away" which, though not officially part of the album, was released as a single in 2010. It is listed as "Blow Me Away (Soundtrack Version)" on the Zune version.
All songs written and composed by Benjamin Burnley, except "I Will Not Bow", "Hopeless", "Lights Out" and "Without You" composed by Burnley and Jasen Rauch.
No. Title Length 1. "Fade Away" 3:16 2. "I Will Not Bow" 3:36 3. "Crawl" 3:58 4. "Give Me a Sign" 4:17 5. "Hopeless" 3:19 6. "What Lies Beneath" 3:34 7. "Anthem of the Angels" 4:02 8. "Lights Out" 3:33 9. "Dear Agony" 4:18 10. "Into the Nothing" 3:43 11. "Without You" 4:16Total length: 41:52
Production list acquired from AllMusic
- Breaking Benjamin
- Benjamin Burnley - Lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Aaron Fink - Lead guitar
- Mark Klepaski - bass
- Chad Szeliga - drums, percussions
- Additional musicians
- Rachel Golub - violin on "Anthem of the Angels" and "Without You"
- David Eggar - cello on "Anthem of the Angels" and "Without You"
- Jonathan Dinklage - violin, viola on "Anthem of the Angels" and "Without You"
- David Bendeth - producer
- Dan Korneff - engineer, mixing, digital editing
- Ted Jensen - mastering
- Jon D'Uva - digital editing, engineer
- John Bender - digital editing, engineer
- Kato Khandwala - digital editing, engineer
- Michael "Mitch" Milan - assistant engineer
- Jason Jordan - A&R
- Florian Schneider - photography
- David Snow - creative director
Chart (2009) Peak
Canadian Albums Chart 13 New Zealand Albums Chart 22 The Billboard 200 4 Alternative Albums Chart 2 Digital Albums Chart 2 Hard Rock Albums Chart 1 Rock Albums Chart 1 Tastemakers Albums Chart 2
Chart (2010) Position US Billboard 200 102
- ^ Grierson, Tim. "Breaking Benjamin - 'Dear Agony' Review". about.com. http://rock.about.com/od/reviews/fr/DearAgony.htm. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- ^ Monger, James Christopher. "Dear Agony > Overview". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1639457. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ Boy, Davey (September 27, 2009). "Breaking Benjamin - Dear Agony Review". Sputnikmusic. http://sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=32625. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ "Dear Agony Review | Breaking Benjamin | Compact Discs | Reviews @". Ultimate Guitar. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/breaking_benjamin/dear_agony/index.html. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- ^ Choman, Alexander (October 4, 2009). "Breaking Benjamin releases 4th album". Republican & Herald. http://www.republicanherald.com/news/breaking_benjamin_releases_4th_album. Retrieved October 25, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ Lello, Michael Breaking the Silence The Weekender (September 15, 2009). Retrieved on 2-09-10.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ 08:31 PM. "RIAA - Gold & Platinum - March 6, 2010". RIAA. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH_RESULTS. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- ^ "Rock Band Weekly: Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin, Just Kait, Kula Shaker". joystiq.com. 2009-09-25. http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/25/rock-band-weekly-alice-in-chains-breaking-benjamin-just-kait/.
- ^ "Guitar Guitar Hero(R)'s February Downloadable Content Lineup Packs a Powerful Punch With Fresh Music From Top Bands". PR Newswire. 2010-01-28. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/guitar-herors-february-downloadable-content-lineup-packs-a-powerful-punch-with-fresh-music-from-top-bands-82887347.html.
- ^ 13 november 2009 (2009-11-13). "Breaking Benjamin - I Will Not Bow OFFICIAL". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wyJIIP5a1Q. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- ^ "Future Releases on Alternative Radio Stations, Independent Artist Song Releases |". Allaccess.com. http://www.allaccess.com/alternative/future-releases. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- ^ http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/05/26/breaking-benjamin-lights-out/
- ^ http://rawkpit.com/2010/05/26/breaking-benjamin-select-third-single-lights-out/
- ^ http://www.bing.com/music/albums/detail?q=Dear+Agony+(Zune+Exclusive)&albumID=5D84FA01-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933&FORM=DTPMUO
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/album/dear-agony-r1639457
- ^ a b c d e f g "Dear Agony - Breaking Benjamin". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/album/breaking-benjamin/dear-agony/1281815. Retrieved 2011-8-24.
- ^ "New Zealand chart positions". charts.org.nz. http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Breaking+Benjamin&titel=Dear+Agony&cat=a.
- ^ "Best of 2010 - Billboard Top 200". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/top-billboard-200?year=2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
Studio albums Compilation albumsShallow Bay: The Best of Breaking Benjamin EPs Singles Tours Related articlesDiscography · Lifer · Forever Oeuvre · OurAfter
- "I Will Not Bow"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dear Agony — студийный альбом Breaking Benjami … Википедия
Dear Agony — est un album du groupe Breaking Benjamin paru en 2009. Titres No Titre Durée … Wikipédia en Français
Dear Deidre — is the British newspaper The Sun s long running agony aunt column written by Deidre Sanders. It has been running for over a quarter of a century, since 1980. Each day there are four or five dilemmas sent in anonymously by readers, which are… … Wikipedia
John Byrne (Showbusiness Agony Uncle) — John Byrne is a writer, performer and broadcaster in his own right, as well as being agony uncle and career advisor to The Stage newspaper and BBC London 94.9radio’s Late Night Dilemmas with Valley Fontaine. His private coaching clients range… … Wikipedia
Breaking Benjamin — performing in 2007. From left to right, Mark Klepaski, Benjamin Burnley and Aaron Fink. Background information Origin … Wikipedia
Breaking Benjamin — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Benjamin. Breaking Benjamin Surnom Plan 9 Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Breaking Benjamin — на концерте 17 ноября 2007 года (слева направо: Марк Клепаски … Википедия
Chad Szeliga — Born December 23, 1976 (1976 12 23) (age 34) Genres Alternative metal, post grunge, hard rock Instruments Drums … Wikipedia
Breaking Benjamin — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Breaking Benjamin Breaking Benjamin tocando en vivo, Noviembre 17, en 2007 a la 1:50 a.m. en el Tour Phobia. De Izqierda a derecha: Mark Klepaski, Benjamin Burnley y Aaron Fink (No aparece en la fotografía: Chad… … Wikipedia Español
I Will Not Bow — I Will Not Bow … Википедия