- De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria
De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria is a Nigerian confraternity, founded at University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria by students with the nicknames of "Risenangel De Chamelus" "Fons et Origo", "Captin Trupence Njamena" and "Eric the Red". The group was founded in 1985 and registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) of Nigeria as a social charity.
==Relationship with Supreme Vikings Confraternity Obi Ijere, a high-ranking leader of the Supreme Vikings Confraternity (SVC), a leading group in the 1990s conflict in the Niger Delta, stated in an interview that the SVC and De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria were in fact the same group . However, in an official statement in August 2009 the National President of the organisation, Bond Ohuche, dismissed as "fallacious... criminal and mischievous" any association of the organisation with the conflict in the Niger Delta. In addition, in a paper presented at the second quarter mini-converge of the organisation at Nandons Hotel, in Enugu State; the president Bond Ohuche and Belema George (one of the founding fathers of the group) asserted that De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria is not a secret cult,.
Objectives"establish an international brotherhjectood that shall sustain the well-being of members and integrity of the kclub, and to use all resources at their disposal to be among world leadership, starting from member's communities, within the ambient of the land’s law. The kclub also drive all resources to direct energy towards economic development and wipe out unemployment and poverty. According to the group's website: "We also ensure to establish the respect for human dignity and sanctity of human life; encourage labour and intellectual industry; preserve our environment from degradation and promotion of National and International Peace; and uphold God as the Foundation of our ship and abhor in its totality all, ethnic, religious, racial and status discrimination."
According to the group's website, developed by Adewnumi Roland,a primary stakeholder, also known as cpatain roland the De Norsemen Klub also:"struggles to protect the oppressed and the weak of the society, objectives of which are to promote corrective measures for defence of the masses against all social vices militating against its progress. These include deprivation, corruption, injustice, victimization, and undemocratic measures. The Kclub’s main objective is to fight against 'sacrilege, vandalism, smuggling, hoarding, trespass, touting, conspiracy, pilfering, terrorism, and insubordination, extortion, impropriety, kidnapping, piracy, intrusion, hijacking, quackery, bunkering, banditry, political extremism, false alarm, and guerrilla warfare'"[not in citation given],[not in citation given]
The group's website also states that the group aims are:
- "To establish an international Brotherhood that shall sustain the well – being of members and integrity of the Ship.
- To harness all our RESOURCES to take over Leadership of our Communities, LGAs, State and Nation within the ambient of the laws of the land.
- To direct all our energy towards Economic development in all spheres of our National / International life, to wipe out unemployment, unproductiveness, and poverty, first on Board our ship, then the Nation at large.
- To establish the respect for human dignity and sanctity of human life
- To encourage labour and intellectual industry.
- To preserve our environment from degradation and promotion of National and International Peace.
- To uphold God as the Foundation of our ship and abhor in its totality all, ethnic, religious, racial and status discrimination"
In June 2009, the group held a conference at the Nandons Hotel in Enugu, where national political issues were discussed. The inauguration was also held of the executive committees of five state chapters, as well as the celebration of the birthday of the founding father of the club, Belema George.
Membership of De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria is open to all Nigerian graduates without regards to religious,ethnic or social backgrounds. These are set by the De Norsemen Supreme Council, and decided by the Governor on individual applications. De Norsemen Klub initiates every two years, and all applicants must be sponsored by a fraternal brother who has been a member for at least three years. For admission to the De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria, applicants must have a baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 out of 4.0. Applicants also undergo a background check (no criminal record) and series of interviews before admission, must have university degree or O.N.D, H.N.D or equivalent. Members and intending members must that they do not have a criminal record and good and credible means of livelihood
The structure of De Norsemen Kclub of Nigeria is a hierarchical brotherhood, themed as a ship with a crew of brothers and sailors.
- ^ a b c http://www.denorsemen.com
- ^ a b "An interview with one of the leaders of the Supreme Vikings Confraternity (SVC) and their role in the Niger-Delta Insurgency". Nigeriaworld.com. 2008-11-05. http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2008/nov/052.html. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- ^ "Yar`dua`s Amnesty Group Disown Repentant Militant". Huhuonline.com. 2009-08-22. http://www.modernghana.com/news/234885/1/yarduas-amnesty-group-disown-repentant-militant.html. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- ^ History of De Norsemen Kclub International, denorsemen.com, 2009-01-05, http://denorsemen.com/content/history-de-norsemen-kclub-international, retrieved 2009-10-02
- ^ De Norsemen Kclub holds groovy mini-converge, National Daily, Nigeria, 2009-01-05, http://www.nationaldailyngr.com/78trends1.htm, retrieved 2009-10-02 [dead link]
- Rotimi, Adewale. PDF, Nordic Journal of African Studies 14(1): 79–98 (2005)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.