- David Wootton
David Wootton Lord Mayor of London In office
11 November 2011 – 11 November 2012
Preceded by Michael Bear Personal details Born 20 July 1950 (age 61)
Nationality British Spouse(s) Elizabeth (Liz) Children 4 children (James, Alexandra, Sophie and Christopher) Residence Sevenoaks, Kent Alma mater Jesus College, Cambridge Profession Solicitor Religion Anglican Website www.davidwootton.org
Wootton was educated at Bradford Grammar School, before going up to Jesus College, Cambridge to read Classics and then Law. While at Cambridge, he was also able to captain his college’s First Boat in 1972 when the crew swept the board against all comers – and he still tries to ensure he rows there once a year with his contemporaries.
In 1979 he became a Partner at Allen & Overy, the international law firm headquartered in London with offices in 24 other countries, specialising in corporate transactions and best-practice compliance with law and regulation in corporate governance. This involves dealing with mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and joint ventures across various international markets. Having a strong interest in the governance of the City of London, Wootton stood for election to Common Council and was elected as Member for the Ward of Farringdon Within in 2002. In 2005 he was elected Alderman for the Ward of Langbourn. He was Deputy Chairman of the Finance Committee and a member of the Policy and Resources and the City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committees. In 2009 he was elected Sheriff of the City of London. Wootton has been elected to be Lord Mayor of London in 2011/2012.
Wootton has made time throughout his career to devote to charitable and community activities in promotion of education and sport. Away from the City Corporation, he is a member of
- the Management Committee and Chairman of the Audit Committee of the King’s Fund
- Chairman of the City of London Branch of the Institute of Directors
- President of the Society of Young Freemen
- the Council of the City Livery Club
- Chairman of the Trustees of the Charles Dickens Museum
- Chairman of the Jesus College Boat Club (Cambridge) Trust and the Misys Charitable Foundation
- Music Patron of St Paul’s Cathedral
- a Director of the City of London Festival and the Local Government Association
A Committee member of the City of London Law Society, David is also Governor of several institutions, including:
- the Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- King Edward’s School Witley and the City of London Academy (Southwark)
He has been a member of:
- Almoner of Christ’s Hospital
- the Development Board of The Institute of Cancer Research
- the Council of the National Trust (elected)
- the Worshipful Company of Fletchers (2005/6)
- Master of The City of London Solicitors’ Company (2010/11)
- Court Assistant of The Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass and the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists
- Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers and the Worshipful Company of Bowyers
- a Freeman of The Company of Watermen and Lightermen and The Worshipful Company of Woolmen
- and an Honorary Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Security Professionals
Wootton is also currently Honorary Vice President and serves on the Council of the City Livery Club and is President of the Society of Young Freemen. He is also a member of Leander and the London Rowing Clubs, and the Athenaeum and the City of London Clubs.
Wootton is married to Elizabeth (Liz) and has two sons (James and Christopher), two daughters (Alexandra and Sophie) and three grandchildren (Ellie, Lucy and Casper). David and Liz live in Sevenoaks, Kent. His father was born in Smallthorne Stoke on Trent. He still enjoys going back and visiting some of his old haunts.
Civic offices Preceded by
Sheriffs of the City of London
Lord Mayor of the City of London
This British biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.