- David Williams (Australian indigenous musician)
Learning traditional songs from his grandmother, David experienced first-hand the language and music of his people from an early age. Growing up in a musical family, he began learning the trombone from an early age. During his trombone studies, he would often cross over and play the didgeridoo as his skills as a brass player enabled him to develop his own style of blending traditional and contemporary didgeridoo.
David's skills as a didgeridoo player have taken him around Australia and also internationally to Beijing, Shanghai, New Zealand and San Francisco. He has performed with James Morrison and Jane Rutter and in concert for John Travolta. He has also collaborated with a number of ensembles and orchestras, performing Philip Bračanin's Dance Gundah for didgeridoo and orchestra in 2006.
In November 2005 David performed with Jane Rutter and James Morrison for the Qantas 85th Birthday. This highly successful event was celebrated with John Travolta and the arrival of the Airbus A380.
In January 2006 David traveled to Beijing, China to perform with Bernadette Robinson and Paul Noonan for the celebration of direct flights between Sydney and Beijing. Two months later in March, David travelled to San Francisco to perform for the celebration of direct flights between Sydney and San Francisco.
In August 2008, David performed at the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and in March 2009, in Westminster Abbey in a memorial service for victims of the bushfires in front of Kevin Rudd, Prince Charles and Camilla.
Also an accomplished artist, David has spent much time developing an indigenous style that was traditional though unique and modern. His motivation to develop as a visual artist saw his collection of works increase, resulting in his first collaborative exhibition in 2003. David presented his first solo Australian exhibition in 2004 with his first overseas exhibition to follow in Sweden later that year. David's works now feature in private collections in Australia, Italy, Spain, England, Sweden and Germany.
David is currently Creative Director of Gilimbaa- An Indigenous Design Agency.
Through David's didgeridoo performances and traditional style paintings, he aims to further educate and encourage a wider understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal culture.
- ^ a b c Buttigieg, Laura. "David blows a global storm". City News. http://www.walkaboutphotography.com.au/didge/City%20News%20Article.pdf. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ a b c d e "David sounds didgeridoo for the world". The Morning Bulletin. 9 August 2008. http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2008/08/09/apn-david-sounds-didgeridoo-for-the/. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ Watson, Pat. "Multiple choice". http://www.walkaboutphotography.com.au/didge/DW040802%20Multiple%20Choice-%20Media%20Release.pdf. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ Pascuzzi, Edward. "Qantas Makes History with Inaugural Airbus A380 Flight into LAX". Aviator e-news. http://www.aviatorenews.com/cgi-bin/get_story.cgi?control=727. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ Taylor, Adrian (9 August 2008). "Beijing's a blast for Rocky's David". The Morning Bulletin. http://www.gilimbaa.com.au/media/Morning_Bulletin_9th_Aug_2008.pdf. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ "Memorial Service - 1 April 2009". Westminster Abbey. http://www.westminster-abbey.org/press/news/news/2009/march/memorial-service-for-victorian-bushfire-victims. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
- ^ "Quick trip 'an honour'". The Koori Mail. 8 April 2009. http://www.gilimbaa.com.au/media/KooriMailArticle-3rdMarch_LondonBushfireMemorial.pdf. Retrieved 15 April 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Williams — may refer to: Contents 1 Musicians 2 Politicians 3 Sportspeople … Wikipedia
Australian Living Treasures — are people who have been nominated by the National Trust of Australia. The first list of 100 Living Treasures was published in 1997.The list was recently refreshed with 15 names, following the deaths of notable Australians such as: Sir Don… … Wikipedia
Australian performance poetry — is not a recent phenomenon in English speaking Australia. It would not be beyond credibility to identify Henry Lawson as Australia s first professional performance poet, but there had been many performance poets in Australia prior to Lawson (real … Wikipedia
NT Indigenous Music Awards — are part of the Darwin Festival and are run by Music NT in association with the Northern Territory Government’s Indigenous Arts Development Unit. Contents 1 Awards 1.1 2004 1.2 2005 1.3 2006 … Wikipedia
List of Australian artists — ″––List of Australian artists (or painters) (See also Art of Australia) You can also help by writing articles on artists currently without same.See also Individual artists A *A Constructed World (founded 1993 ): video, painting and installation… … Wikipedia
Chinese Australian — Chinese Australians 華裔澳洲人 华裔澳洲人 … Wikipedia
List of Australian National University people — The Australian National University has had numerous notable alumni and faculty. Contents 1 Notable alumni 1.1 Politics and government 2 Notable past and present staff 3 Adm … Wikipedia
Music of Australia — Arts in Australia Culture of Australia Architecture Art Cinema Comic books Cuisine Dance … Wikipedia
Australia — /aw strayl yeuh/, n. 1. a continent SE of Asia, between the Indian and the Pacific oceans. 18,438,824; 2,948,366 sq. mi. (7,636,270 sq. km). 2. Commonwealth of, a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, consisting of the federated states and… … Universalium
Deaths in October 2011 — Contents 1 October 2011 1.1 31 1.2 30 1.3 29 … Wikipedia