- Raven (drag queen)
Raven Born David Petruschin
April 18, 1979
Occupation Drag Queen, Reality Television Personality
Raven (born David Petruschin, April 18, 1979) is an American drag queen and reality television personality from Riverside, California. He is best known as a contestant on second season of RuPaul's Drag Race. He was first runner-up of season 2, and followed that up with regular appearances on RuPaul's Drag U in summer 2010 and 2011, alongside fellow competitors Morgan McMichaels, Pandora Boxx, and Jujubee.
RuPaul's Drag Race
In a Match Game-like episode of the show, he humorously impersonated billionaire heiress Paris Hilton. Raven won the season's first mini-challenge, a photo shoot, in the first episode, "Gone with the Window." His next win came in the "Here Comes the Bride" episode in which the queens had to decorate a box with something old, something new, and something borrowed, showing their personal style. Raven borrowed Jujubee's raven hat, securing a win. Raven also won the main challenges in the seventh and eighth episodes "Once Upon a Queen" and "Golden Gals", respectively. In the seventh episode, the queens had to create and promote their autobiographies. Raven's book, Young, Broke, and Fabulous, was the winner. In episode 8, the contestants were tasked with making over older gentlemen as their "drag mothers." Raven and his drag mother, Golda LaMae, won the challenge. Although he ended up as the runner-up of the second season's competition, Petruschin has criticized the way he was portrayed on Drag Race and felt the show's editors purposely edited the show's segments in order to portray him as a villain.
Career after RuPaul's Drag Race
In addition to his participation in RuPaul's Drag Race, Petruschin was featured on an episode of America's Next Top Model, Cycle 8, in which he participated in a photo shoot with each of the show's contestants in male drag and paired with a drag queen.
RuPaul's Drag U
Raven was one of many Drag Race alumni who were invited to be as a drag professor in spin-off series RuPaul's Drag U. Raven served as a "drag professor" and mentor to female contestants who are given make-overs. In the series, Petruschin's persona is not portrayed in a villainous fashion, but instead as a softer and nurturing mentor. Raven made a total of four appearances and during the series' first season. The series was renewed for a second season in 2011, with Raven returning once again as a drag professor.
Featured in a commercial promoting the syndication run of the cable television series "Nip/Tuck" on the Logo network, Raven lip synchs to the theme song "A Perfect Lie", as he caresses a syringe close to his lips. The commercial is based on one of his past drag performances. He also has made a guest appearance in an episode of Logo's reality series, "Pretty Hurts", which documents the life and career of celebrity medical aesthetician Rand Rusher.
Petruschin currently resides in Riverside, California with his dog Blu.
He previously worked as a cosmetics salesperson and as a freelance makeup artist before pursuing a full-time drag career. He currently hosts several drag-related events at Oasis nightclub in Upland, California as well as The Menagerie nightclub in Riverside.
- ^ a b LOGO On-line. "RuPaul's Drag Race 2: Cast Bios". LOGO On-line. http://www.logoonline.com/shows/dyn/rupauls_drag_race_2/cast.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- ^ a b "Raven". RuPaul's Drag Race. Logo. http://www.logotv.com/video/misc/457991/raven-rupauls-drag-race-season-2-contestant.jhtml?id=1626671. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ "RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2". http://www.logotv.com/shows/rupauls_drag_race/season_2/series.jhtml. Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- ^ Juzwiak, Rich (April 27, 2010). "RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2, The Runner-Up Exit Interview: Maybe Gone, But Never Forgotten!". NewNowNext.com. Logo. http://www.newnownext.com/2010/04/27/rupauls-drag-race-2-runner-up-exit-interview/. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ a b Polly, John. "Drag Race Daily: Start Studying! RuPaul's Drag U Will be in Session this Summer. Watch a Preview". NewNowNext on Logo. http://www.newnownext.com/2010/04/26/drag-race-daily-start-studying-rupauls-drag-u-will-be-in-session-this-summer-watch-a-preview/. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ O'Wisdom, Pearl (March 15, 2010). "RuPaul’s Drag Race: Here Comes the Bride". Poptimal. http://poptimal.com/2010/03/rupauls-drag-race-here-comes-the-bride/. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ a b Stranksy, Tanner (March 23, 2010). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' recap: The queens throw shade and shill books". Popwatch. Entertainment Weekly. http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/03/23/rupauls-drag-race-recap-week-7/. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ a b Stransky, Tanner (March 30, 2010). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' recap: Drag mamas, Cloris Leachman, and the season's most controversial elimination!". Popwatch. Entertainment Weekly. http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/03/30/rupauls-drag-race-recap-8-golden-gals/. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- ^ D, Jacob (March 30, 2010). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Mom's And Babies". Reality TV Calendar. http://www.realitytvcalendar.com/shows/rpdr2/recaps/ep08-p1.html. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Make Up Work! with Raven series
- David Petruschin at the Internet Movie Database
- David Raven Petruschin on Facebook
- Raven on Myspace
Seasons Judges Pit crewCurrent: Jason Carter · Shawn Morales
Former: Max "The Body" Philisaire · Emanuel Palmer
WinnersBeBe Zahara Benet · Tyra Sanchez · Raja Runners-up Miss Congeniality Award Related articlesA complete list of contestants can be found here.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Drag pageantry — Cross dressing History of cross dressing Breeches role · Breeching Travesti · In film and television … Wikipedia
Raven-Symoné — This article is about the actress singer. For her self titled album, see Raven Symoné (album). Raven Symoné Raven Symoné, December 11, 2010 Background information Birth name … Wikipedia
RuPaul's Drag U — Title card Format Reality Created by RuPaul Charles Directed by … Wikipedia
RuPaul's Drag Race (season 2) — RuPaul s Drag Race Season 2 Logo Format Reality television Created by RuPaul Andre Charles Di … Wikipedia
RuPaul's Drag Race (season 3) — RuPaul s Drag Race Logo for Season 3 Format Reality television Created by RuPaul Andre Charles … Wikipedia
RuPaul's Drag Race (season 1) — RuPaul s Drag Race Logo of the show including a lipstick case with Logo inscribed Format Reality television Created by RuPaul Andre Charle … Wikipedia
RuPaul’s Drag Race — Seriendaten Originaltitel RuPaul s Drag Race … Deutsch Wikipedia
Boris Karloff — Boris Karloff, eigentlich William Henry Pratt (* 23. November 1887 in London, im heutigen Bezirk Southwark; † 2. Februar 1969 in Midhurst, West Sussex, England), war ein britischer Theater und Filmschauspieler. Karloff wurde vor allem als… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carmen Carrera — Born Christopher Roman April 13, 1985 (1985 04 13) (age 26) Elmwood Park, New Jersey Nationality … Wikipedia
Jessica Wild — Born José David Sierra April 8, 1980 (1980 04 08) (age 31) San Juan, Puerto Rico Occupation Drag Queen, Make up artist, Reality Television Personality Website … Wikipedia