- David Cook (album)
David Cook Studio album by David Cook Released November 18, 2008
(see Release history)
Recorded June- August 2008 Genre Pop rock, alternative rock, post-grunge Length 52:40
55:43 (Wal-Mart Bonus Track)
Label RCA, 19 Producer Rob Cavallo David Cook chronology Analog Heart
This Loud Morning
Singles from David Cook Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic link Artistdirect link Billboard (positive) link Blender link Entertainment Weekly (B) link Newsday (B+) link Rolling Stone link Us Weekly link USA Today link TuneLab Music link
David Cook is the first major-label album from seventh season American Idol winner David Cook. The album was released on November 18, 2008 in the United States, was certified platinum  and has sold over one million copies in the United States. It has produced two top twenty singles, "Light On" and "Come Back To Me". The single "Time of My Life" has also been certified platinum by the RIAA. "Light On" was certified platinum in January 2010.
The album's reception has been generally positive. Entertainment Weekly gave the album a positive review saying, "They give David Cook's clutch of bombastic verse-chorus- verse rockers an impressive melodic sheen, one well suited to Cook's husky, expressive vocals. If anything, the series of booming midtempo anthems (most notable among them "Bar-ba-sol" and "Mr. Sensitive") could use a little sandpapering around the edges." Allmusic concurred writing, "He not only is a star thanks to AmIdol, but he's always been ready to do big, happy, crowd-pleasing grunge-pop, as his self-released 2006 debut, Analog Heart, proved. David Cook is remarkably similar to that now-suppressed effort, heavy on crawling, melodic midtempo rockers and power ballads, only given more gloss in its production and writing."
Billboard said of the album, "Much like his predecessors' quick-turnaround debuts, Cook's is fairly generic, but its rock edge is dirtied up with crunching guitars and the artist's tuneful growl. There are a host of big, anthemic choruses that highlight the power of Cook's voice, namely the soaring "Declaration" and Chris Cornell/Brian Howes-penned "Light On." Elsewhere, Cook exercises his right to rawk with the swaggering, gritty "Bar-ba-sol" and bares his soul alongside a delicate piano and string arrangement on "Permanent." There are some lyrical missteps ("Life on the Moon," which marvels at the titular concept), but as the lone rocker winner of "Idol" to date, Cook stands apart from cookie-cutter pop."
Rolling Stone gave the album an average review commenting on its lack of "out-of-the-box songwriting". Meanwhile, Ken Barnes of USA Today was also subdued in his review, particularly criticizing the production team and the song choices made on the album. Of it, he wrote, "they did him a disservice ... [Cook] has a more supple, versatile voice than Daughtry, and he demonstrated vastly more musical originality than most Idol finalists, but you’d never know it from this collection of formulaic, tune-averse tracks."
The first single, "Light On", was released to U.S. radio on September 30, 2008. The song sold 109,000 digital downloads in its first week of availability, leading to a #17 debut on the Billboard Hot 100 and #8 on the Hot Digital Songs chart. "Light On" was certified platinum in January 2010.
On February 27, 2009, Entertainment Weekly ran a piece saying that Cook will be releasing not one, but two singles in March 2009, "Come Back to Me" and "Bar-ba-sol." The video for "Come Back to Me" premiered on American Idol on April 1.
On May 20, 2009, David performed the song "Permanent" on the finale of American Idol Season 8. The song was released as a single with the money from the song and the video of his performance going to charity. The single version of the song is longer than the version on his album.
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Declaration" David Cook, Johnny Rzeznik, Gregg Wattenberg 3:13 2. "Heroes" Cook, Cathy Dennis, Raine Maida 3:27 3. "Light On" Chris Cornell, Brian Howes 3:49 4. "Come Back to Me" Amund Bjørklund, Espen Lind, Zac Maloy 4:07 5. "Life on the Moon" Cook, Bjørklund, Lind, Maloy 3:38 6. "Bar-ba-sol" Cook, Danny Grady, Dan Dixon, Steve Slovisky, Chris Wojtal, Jade Lemons 4:27 7. "Mr. Sensitive" Cook, Maida 3:37 8. "Lie" Cook, Bjørklund, Lind, Maloy 3:49 9. "I Did It For You" Cook, Maida 3:49 10. "Avalanche" Cook, Kevin Griffin 4:32 11. "Permanent" Cook, Maida, Chantal Kreviazuk 2:56 12. "A Daily AntheM"
"Kiss on the Neck" (hidden track)
Cook, Neal Tiemann
13. "The Time of My Life" (Bonus Track) Regie Hamm 3:36 14. "My Last Request" (iTunes pre-order Bonus track) Cook, Jess Cates, David Hodges 3:30 15. "Breathe Tonight" (Japanese edition and Walmart Bonus track) Cook, Sam Hollander, Dave Katz 3:03
- David Cook - Art Direction, Guitar, Vocals
- Paul Bushnell - Bass
- David Campbell - Strings Arrangement
- Rob Cavallo - Additional Guitars, Keyboard, Producer
- Dorian Crozier - Drums, Programming
- Jamie Muhoberac - Keyboard, Organ, Piano
- Tim Pierce - Guitars
- Neal Tiemann - Guitars
- Keith Armstrong - Additional Pro Tools, Assistant Engineer
- Tyler Dragness - Guitar Tech
- Mike Fansano - Drum Tech
- Erwin Gorostiza - Art Direction
- Ted Jensen - Mastering
- Chris Lord - Mixing
- Doug McKean- Engineer
- Chris Feldmann - Art Direction, Design
- Lars Fox - Additional Pro Tools
- Cheryl Jenets - Production Coordination
- Nik Karpen - Additional Pro Tools, Assistant Engineer
- Jamie Neely - Production Assistant
- Frank Ockenfels - Photographer
- Steve Rea - Assitant Engineer
- Steve Salas - Musical Direction
- Emerson Wahl -Studio Assistant
- Seth Waldmann - Assitant Engineer
- Russ Waugh - Studio Assistant
Region Date United States November 18, 2008 Brazil March 11, 2009 United Kingdom April 5, 2009 Japan July 7, 2009
The album debuted at the number-three spot on the Billboard 200 chart with sales of 280,000 copies in the United States. In the beginning of February, 2009, it was announced that the album had been certified platinum by RIAA for shipment of 1,000,000 copies. The album also broke digital sales records for a debut artist, selling 59,000 electronic copies. The album has sold 1,500,000 copies worldwide.
Chart (2008–2009) Peak Position Finnish Albums Chart 15 U.S. Billboard 200 3 U.S. Billboard Top Rock Albums 2 Canadian Albums Chart 11 Year End Charts (2009) Year End Rank U.S. Billboard 200 13 U.S. Billboard Top Rock Albums 4 U.S. Billboard Top Internet Albums 9
Sales and certifications
Country Total sales Digital sales Certification United States 1,345,000 158,000 Platinum Canada 50,000 Gold
- The song "A Daily AntheM" was featured on the 8th season of American Idol during the audition episodes.
- The song "Heroes" was featured on the commercial for the FIFA World Cup and when he was on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition while he was coming off the bus. It was also used as the soundtrack for NBC Sports Championship Season promos in 2010 for: The Kentucky Derby (May), The Players (May), The Preakness Stakes (May), The French Open (June), The Stanley Cup Final (June), US Open (June), and Wimbeldon (July) 
- ^ a b Certified platinum
- ^ a b Mansfield, Brian (December 8, 2010). "Idols maintain chart presence with guest appearances, compilations". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2010/12/carrie-underwood-plays-on-as-idol-top-seller/1.
- ^ RIAA news
- ^ a b c RIAA search - David Cook
- ^ David Cook Sizzles With Record Chart Debuts
- ^ http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20261627,00.html
- ^ Ask Billboard: "Idol" Worship
- ^ Beyoncé: I Am... Bigger Than Nickelback, David Cook
- ^ David Cook to perform before and after RSL Game
- ^ "David Cook Album & Song Chart History - David Cook". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/album/david-cook/david-cook/1194984. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- ^ "Finnish charts - David Cook (Album)". finnishcharts.com. http://www.finnishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=David+Cook&titel=David+Cook&cat=a. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- ^ Year-End Chart 2009
- ^ Mansfield, Brian (September 24, 2010). "Season 8 Compilation Tops This Week's American Idol Albums". USA Today. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2009/12/album-sales-susan-boyle-glee-carrie-underwood--and-a-surprise-appearance-from-david-cook/.
- ^ http://www.cria.ca/gold/0109_g.php
- ^ "NBC Sports Championship Season". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMvOx0lVX1o/.
Studio albumsAnalog Heart • David Cook • This Loud Morning Extended playsThis Quiet Night Singles ToursAmerican Idols LIVE! Tour 2008 • The Declaration Tour – 2009 Other songs Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
David Archuleta (album) — David Archuleta Studio album by David Archuleta Released November 11, 2008 … Wikipedia
David Cook discography — David Cook discography Releases ↙Studio albums 3 ↙Singles … Wikipedia
David Cook — may refer to: David Cook (Rugby Player) Born 13th August 1982. Swansea RFC. Top scorer Mumbles RFC. Swansea and Welsh International Youth. Retired due to shoulder injury. David Cook (cyclist), British Olympic cyclist David Cook (game designer),… … Wikipedia
David Cook (singer) — This article is about the rock singer. For his debut album, see David Cook (album). For the country music singer, see David L. Cook. David Cook Background information Birth name … Wikipedia
David Cook — Nom David Roland Cook Naissance 20 décembre 1982 (1982 12 20) … Wikipédia en Français
David Cook — Chartplatzierungen Erklärung der Daten Alben … Deutsch Wikipedia
David Cook — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda David Cook David Cook Información personal Nombre real David Roland Cook … Wikipedia Español
The Time of My Life (David Cook song) — Infobox Single Name = The Time of My Life Artist = David Cook Album = A side = B side = Released = May 22, 2008 Format = Digital download Recorded = 2008 Genre = Pop/Rock Length = 3:36 Label = 19 Recordings, RCA Writer = Regie Hamm Producer =… … Wikipedia
Come Back to Me (David Cook song) — Come Back to Me Single by David Cook from the album David Cook … Wikipedia
David Roland Cook — David Cook (2008) Chartplatzierungen (vorläufig)Vorlage:Infobox Chartplatzierungen/Wartung/vorläufige Chartplatzierung Erklärung der Daten … Deutsch Wikipedia