- Dangerous Living: Coming Out in the Developing World
Dangerous Living: Coming Out in the Developing World
Directed by John Scagliotti Produced by Janet Baus
Narrated by Janeane Garofalo Music by Don DiNicola Editing by Anat Salomon Studio After Stonewall Productions Distributed by First Run Features (DVD) Release date(s) 2003
May 11, 2005 (TV)
Running time 62 minutes Country United States Language English
Dangerous Living: Coming Out in the Developing World is a 2003 documentary film directed by American filmmaker John Scagliotti about the issues experienced by gay, lesbian and transgender people in developing countries. It was the first documentary film to explore these issues in non-Western countries. It is narrated by actress and comedian Janeane Garofalo. It was produced by Janet Baus and Dan Hunt, both of whom had worked with Scagliotti on his previous film After Stonewall. The film focuses in particular on Cairo 52, a group of 52 Egyptian men who were arrested on board a floating gay nightclub in 2001. It features interviews with gay-rights activists from countries around the world including Honduras, Namibia, the Philippines, Pakistan and Vietnam.
The film opens with the Cairo 52. In 2001, 52 Egyptian men were arrested onboard the Queen Boat on the Nile, which was a gay disco. With no specific law against homosexuality in Egypt, the men were arrested for debauchery. They were tried and sentenced to between one and five years imprisonment. Scagliotti interviews one of the men, Ashraf Zanati.
Dangerous Living was screened at several international film festivals and was an official selection at the International Film Festival on Human Rights in Geneva. It won Audience Awards at the Barcelona GLBT International Festival and the Hartford Alternatives Festival. It was also shown at the 2003 San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival (Frameline) and the 2005 Boston Gay & Lesbian Film Festival. The film had its US broadcast premiere on May 11, 2005 on the here! network, with an introduction by former US ambassador James Hormel. This coincided with the fourth anniversary of Cairo 52. It was released on DVD by First Run Features on May 24, 2005, as part of their "Human Rights Watch Collection". Dennis Harvey reviewed the film for Variety; he called it "workmanlike and at times [...] cluttered" but "fascinating and educational."
- ^ a b Ehrenstein, David (May 24, 2005), "Still Living Dangerously", The Advocate: 76, http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jmMEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA76, retrieved February 5, 2010
- ^ "Advocate Bulletin", The Advocate: 41, June 7, 2005, http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K2QEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA41, retrieved February 5, 2010
- ^ a b c d "World premiere of "Dangerous Living" sponsored by SIT's Netherlands program". worldlearning.org. May 9, 2005. http://ourworld.worldlearning.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6341. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- ^ "The Filmmakers". Official After Stonewall Productions site. 2003. http://www.afterstonewall.com/1/dl_filmmakers.html. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- ^ a b "Dangerous Living: Coming Out in the Developing World". Frameline. 2003. http://media.frameline.org/festival/27th/programs/dangerous_living_coming_out_in_the_developing_world.html. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- ^ a b "Press Kit". Official After Stonewall Productions site. 2003. http://www.afterstonewall.com/1/press.html#dl. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- ^ a b c "Dangerous Living". First Run Features. http://www.firstrunfeatures.com/dangerousliving.html. Retrieved February 5, 2010.
- ^ Morris, Wesley (May 8, 2005), "Gay film fest lineup is safe and sincere", The Boston Globe, http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/05/08/gay_film_fest_lineup_is_safe_and_sincere/, retrieved February 5, 2010
- ^ Harvey, Dennis (July 21, 2003), "Dangerous Living: Coming Out In The Developing World Review", Variety, http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117921357.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&p=0, retrieved February 5, 2010
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Church — The Church † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Church The term church (Anglo Saxon, cirice, circe; Modern German, Kirche; Sw., Kyrka) is the name employed in the Teutonic languages to render the Greek ekklesia (ecclesia), the term by which… … Catholic encyclopedia
The Chronicles of Amber — is group of novels that comprise a fantasy series written by Roger Zelazny. The main series consists of two story arcs, each five novels in length. Additionally, there are a number of Amber short stories and other works. The Amber stories take… … Wikipedia
The Sacrament of Penance — The Sacrament of Penance † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Sacrament of Penance Penance is a sacrament of the New Law instituted by Christ in which forgiveness of sins committed after baptism is granted through the priest s absolution to… … Catholic encyclopedia
The Legend of the Condor Heroes — The Legend of Condor Heroes (zh tsp|t=射鵰英雄傳|s=射雕英雄传|p=shè diāo yīng xióng zhuàn) is one of the most acclaimed wuxia novels by Jinyong, first published in 1957 in Hong Kong Commercial Daily . This is the first novel of the Condor Trilogy . The… … Wikipedia
THE MIDDLE AGES — … Encyclopedia of Judaism
The Books of Magic — Infobox comic book title title = The Books of Magic caption = Cover of the first issue of the ongoing series. schedule = format = (vol 1.) Mini series (vol 2.) ongoing limited =Y ongoing =Y publisher = DC Comics (Vertigo for volume 2 and the… … Wikipedia
Islāmic world — Introduction prehistory and history of the Islamic community. Adherence to Islām is a global phenomenon: Muslims predominate in some 30 to 40 countries, from the Atlantic to the Pacific and along a belt that stretches across northern… … Universalium
New world order — For the conspiracy theory see, New World Order (conspiracy), for other uses see New World Order. The term new world order has been used to refer to a new period of history evidencing a dramatic change in world political thought and the balance of … Wikipedia
New world order (politics) — This article is about the use of the term “new world order” in international politics. For its use in conspiracy theory, see New World Order (conspiracy theory). For other uses, see New World Order (disambiguation). The term new world order has… … Wikipedia
List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming — This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries … Wikipedia