- DaMarques Johnson
DaMarques Johnson Born June 28, 1982
West Jordan, Utah, United States
Other names Darkness Nationality American Height 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) Weight 170 lb (77 kg; 12 st) Division Welterweight Reach 75 in (190 cm) Style Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Fighting out of Sandy, Utah Team Elite Performance Rank blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Years active 2005–present Mixed martial arts record Total 24 Wins 15 By knockout 6 By submission 8 By decision 1 Losses 9 By knockout 3 By submission 5 By decision 1 Draws 0 No contests 0 Other information Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog
DaMarques Johnson (born June 28, 1982) is an American mixed martial artist. He was the runner up for the welterweights on The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom.
Johnson was born and raised in West Jordan, Utah, he and his family were poor and lived in a bad part of the town. Johnson was primarily raised by his Mormon mother, as his father died when he was nine years old. Johnson attended and graduated from Kearns High School. In 2000, Johnson joined the United States Army and National Guard, an option given to him as a kid to get out of some trouble. Johnson worked in the S-1 and did paperwork for other Soldiers while assigned to a Special Forces Group. Johnson took up jiu jutsu in the army.He trained at Close Combat Institute (CCI) After returning to civilian life following his 8 years of active duty, he met Jeremy Horn and began training mixed martial arts at his gym. Johnson had his first fight in 2005, losing by technical knockout. He was submitted by the highly-regarded Brock Larson in his second fight. In his third pro fight, Johnson had his first win at a King of the Cage event, winning the fight by submission due to punches.
Before taping for the Ultimate Fighter, DaMarques taught children's jiu-jitsu classes at Sandy's Elite Performance gym.
The Ultimate Fighter
Johnson appeared on The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom. He defeated Ray Elbe by technical knockout in an elimination match earning him a spot on the United States team. Johnson won his second fight against Dean Amasinger by submission using a triangle choke, which is noted by his coaches and teammates to be his signature submission move. Johnson won his semi-final match up against Nick Osipczak by unanimous decision. This win earned him the first spot in the welterweight finals.
Johnson also gained notoriety throughout the series due to his ongoing feud with Team UK coach Michael Bisping. Tensions reached an all-time high after Bisping squirted water into Johnson's face citing that Johnson had made a racist comment toward him earlier in the week. However, the comment was made by fellow USA team mate Cameron Dollar, causing Bisping to apologize to Johnson for his behavior.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Johnson lost his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut when he fought James Wilks on June 20, 2009 in Las Vegas to crown the winner of TUF 9 welterweight. Johnson was overwhelmingly defeated after Wilks applied a rear naked choke with six seconds left in round one. After the finale, Johnson was offered a multi-fight contract with the UFC.
Johnson was scheduled to face against Peter Sobotta on November 14, 2009 at UFC 105, but the bout was cancelled due to a military commitment for Sobotta. Johnson instead fought and defeated Edgar Garcia via submission (triangle choke) at UFC 107 in his first career pay-per-view fight and he even earned the Submission of the Night award. UFC.com ranked the submission fourth in the UFC's 2009 Submission of Year and had honorable mention for UFC's 2009 Fight of the Year.
At UFC 112, Johnson fought seasoned veteran Brad Blackburn, defeating him via TKO after a strong kick to the body. Johnson received knockout of the night honors, adding an extra $75,000 to his paycheck.
Johnson then faced Matt Riddle on August 1, 2010, at UFC on Versus 2. However, Johnson weighed in at 172.5 lbs (and only lost half a pound after the weigh-in). Johnson had to give up 20% of his purse to Matt Riddle.  Riddle eventually defeated Johnson via TKO in the second round.
Johnson faced Amir Sadollah on March 26, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 24, replacing an injured James Wilks on just two weeks notice. Johnson lost the bout in the second round due to a tapout to elbows while he was trapped in the 'gift wrap' control.
Johnson was expected to face Clay Harvison on September 17, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 25 However, Johnson was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Seth Baczynski. The fight against Harvison was then rebooked to take place on November 12, 2011 at UFC on Fox 1. Johnson won the fight via first round KO after hitting Harvison with an uppercut that knocked him down and seemingly unconscious.
Johnson has a son named Maxton.
Titles and accomplishments
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Runner-Up on The Ultimate Fighter 9 (Welterweight)
- Submission of the Night (against Edgar Garcia at UFC 107)
- Knockout of the Night (against Brad Blackburn at UFC 112)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
Professional record breakdown 24 matches 15 wins 9 losses By knockout 6 3 By submission 8 5 By decision 1 1 Result Record Opponent Method Event Date Round Time Location Notes Win 15–9 Clay Harvison KO (punches) UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos November 12, 2011 1 1:34 Anaheim, California, U.S. Loss 14–9 Amir Sadollah Submission (strikes) UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis March 26, 2011 2 3:27 Seattle, Washington, U.S. Win 14–8 Mike Guymon Submission (body triangle) UFC: Fight For The Troops 2 January 22, 2011 1 3:22 Killeen, Texas, U.S. Loss 13–8 Matt Riddle TKO (punches) UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko August 1, 2010 2 4:29 San Diego, California, U.S. Fought at a catchweight of 172 lb Win 13–7 Brad Blackburn TKO (body kick and punches) UFC 112 April 10, 2010 3 2:08 Abu Dhabi, UAE Won Knockout of the Night Honors Win 12–7 Edgar Garcia Submission (triangle choke) UFC 107 December 12, 2009 1 4:03 Memphis, Tennessee, U.S. Won Submission of the Night Honors Loss 11–7 James Wilks Submission (rear-naked choke) The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale June 20, 2009 1 4:54 Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. Lost The Ultimate Fighter 9 Loss 11–6 Ryan Williams Decision (unanimous) Extreme Challenge 109 October 18, 2008 3 5:00 Moline, Illinois, U.S. Win 11–5 Brandon Olsen Submission (triangle choke) Throwdown Showdown 2: The Return September 26, 2008 2 1:31 Orem, Utah, U.S. Win 10–5 Ron Vincent TKO (punches) Jeremy Horn's Elite Fight Night 3 July 12, 2008 1 2:36 Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Win 9–5 Samuel Rauch Submission (triangle choke) Total Mayhem 1 May 31, 2008 2 2:50 Ogden, Utah, U.S. Win 8–5 Harold Lucambio Submission (triangle choke) Throwdown Showdown 1 April 18, 2008 1 1:53 Orem, Utah, U.S. Win 7–5 Sterling Nitsuma KO (knee) Jeremy Horn's Elite Fight Night 1 April 5, 2008 1 2:05 Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Win 6–5 William Layton TKO (strikes) UCE Round 28: Episode 2 October 13, 2007 1 0:55 Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Loss 5–5 Court McGee Submission (guillotine choke) UCE Round 26: Finals June 16, 2007 3 1:50 St. George, Utah, U.S. Win 5–4 Hank Weiss Submission (strikes) UCE Round 26: Episode 9 June 2, 2007 2 1:15 Sandy, Utah, U.S. Win 4–4 Jake Paul Submission (kimura) Utah Fight Night 1 June 30, 2006 1 1:46 Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Win 3–4 Harold Lucambio Decision (unanimous) UCE Round 25: Finals March 17, 2007 3 3:00 West Valley City, Utah, U.S. Loss 2–4 Justin Wright TKO (strikes) UCE Round 23: Episode 7 November 11, 2006 1 4:27 Sandy, Utah, U.S. Win 2–3 Tim Panter TKO (strikes) UCE Round 23: Episode 3 October 14, 2006 2 N/A Sandy, Utah, U.S. Loss 1–3 Justin Wright Submission (triangle choke) UCE Round 18: Episode 6 December 10, 2005 2 1:48 Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Win 1–2 David Rodrique Submission (punches) KOTC: Shock and Awe October 1, 2005 1 1:51 Edmonton, Alberta Loss 0–2 Brock Larson Submission (keylock) Extreme Challenge 63 July 23, 2005 3 1:02 Hayward, Wisconsin, U.S. Loss 0–1 Paul Purcell TKO (punches) XFC: Dome Of Destruction 1 April 29, 2005 1 0:17 Tacoma, Washington, U.S.
- ^ http://uk.ufc.com/fighter/DaMarques-Johnson
- ^ a b c d "DaMarques Johnson: More than a cocky attitude with a good jab". MMAGirls. http://www.mmagirls.net/node/422. Retrieved June 9, 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "10 TUF Questions for DaMarques Johnson". AroundTheOctagon.com. March 15, 2009. http://www.aroundtheoctagon.com/?p=1360. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- ^ "DaMarques Johnson". Spike.com. http://www.spike.com/bio/500170. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- ^ "DaMarques Johnson Pro Record". Sherdog. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Damarques-Johnson-12913. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- ^ "Mixed Martial Arts: Utahn a finalist on 'Ultimate Fighter'". The Salt Lake Tribune. http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_12515505. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- ^ "The Wrap-Up: TUF 9 U.S. vs. U.K. Episode 10". 5.Oz of Pain. http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/06/04/the-wrap-up-tuf-9-us-vs-uk-episode-10/. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- ^ "JOHNSON VS. SOBOTTA AT UFC 105". MMAweekly.com. 2009-08-18. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9401&zoneid=13. Retrieved 2009-08-18. [dead link]
- ^ "Full "UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera" card announced, Johnson vs. Sobotta scrapped". Mmajunkie.com. 2009-09-29. http://mmajunkie.com/news/16336/ufc-105-fight-card-including-televised-main-card-officially-announced.mma. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ^ "Exclusive: Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Jones set for UFC 107". 5Oz. of Pain. http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/30/exclusive-edgar-garcia-vs-damarques-jones-set-for-ufc-107/. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- ^ "DaMarques Johnson, UFC 112 both appear headed to Abu Dhabi". MMAJunkie. http://mmajunkie.com/news/17633/damarques-johnson-ufc-112-both-appear-to-be-heading-to-abu-dhabi.mma. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- ^ Jesse Holland. "UFC 112: DaMarques Johnson vs Brad Blackburn on tap for April 10". MMAmania. http://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/13/1308947/ufc-112-damarques-johnson-vs-brad.
- ^ "UFC targets DaMarques Johnson vs. Matt Riddle for UFC on Versus 2". mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/news/18949/ufc-targets-damarques-johnson-vs-matt-riddle-for-ufc-on-versus-2.mma. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- ^ "DaMarques Johnson vs. Mike Guymon slated for Jan. 22 UFC Fight Night 23 event". mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/news/21225/damarques-johnson-vs-mike-guymon-slated-for-jan-22-ufc-fight-night-23-event.mma. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- ^ "UFC Fight Night 24: Amir Sadollah vs DaMarques Johnson booked with James Wilks out". mmamania.com. http://www.mmamania.com/2011/3/13/2048280/ufc-fight-night-24-amir-sadollah-vs-damarques-johnson-booked-with. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- ^ "DaMarques Johnson vs. Clay Harvison set for UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/news/24480/damarques-johnson-vs-clay-harvison-set-for-ufc-fight-night-25.mma. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- ^ "UFC Fight Night 25 Update: Johnson Out, Baczynski In". mmaweekly.com. August 31, 2011. http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-fight-night-25-update-semerzier-and-johnson-out-baczynski-in.
- ^ "Clay Harvison vs. DaMarques Johnson targeted for UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. http://mmajunkie.com/news/25531/clay-harvison-vs-damarques-johnson-targeted-for-ufc-on-fox-1.mma. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- Professional MMA record for DaMarques Johnson from Sherdog
- UFC Profile
- Sponsorship and Clothing Line
United States United Kingdom
- Mixed Martial Arts
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom — Genre Reality, Sports Created by Craig Piligian, Frank Fertitta III, Lorenzo Fertitta, Dana White Starring Dana White, Michael Bisping … Wikipedia
Clay Harvison — Born September 25, 1980 (1980 09 25) (age 31) Marietta, Georgia, U.S. Other names Heavy Metal Nationality American … Wikipedia
Matt Riddle (fighter) — Matt Riddle Born Matthew Frederick Riddle January 14, 1986 (1986 01 14) (age 25) Allentown, Pennsylvania Other names Deep Waters, Monster Mash Nationality American … Wikipedia
Mike Guymon — Michael Guymon Born September 17, 1974 (1974 09 17) (age 37) Newport Beach, California, U.S. Other names The Joker Nationality American Height … Wikipedia
UFC 107 — The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale Ultimate Fighting Championship Ubicación FedExForum Memphis, Tennessee Fecha 12 de diciembre de 2009 … Wikipedia Español
UFC 112 — UFC 112: Invincible Ultimate Fighting Championship Ubicación Yas Island Abu Dabi, Emiratos Árabes Un … Wikipedia Español
Court McGee — Born Courtney Scott McGee December 12, 1984 (1984 12 12) (age 26) Layton, Utah, U.S. Other names … Wikipedia
Nick Osipczak — Born Nicholas Dominic Osipczak December 30, 1984 (1984 12 30) (age 26) London, England Other names Slick Nick, Slick Nationality English … Wikipedia
Clutch (band) — Clutch Clutch performing at First Avenue in Minneapolis, 2007 Background information Origin Germantown, Maryland, United States … Wikipedia
March 2011 in sports — << March 2011 >> S M T W T F … Wikipedia