- Dolphin (file manager)
The Dolphin file manager on Plasma Desktop 4.5
Developer(s) KDE Stable release 1.5 Written in C++ (Qt) Operating system Linux, Mac OS X, Unix-like, Windows, embedded systems Type File browser License Open source software (GPLv2) Website dolphin.kde.org
Dolphin is a file manager for and part of the KDE Software Compilation. It is the default file manager in the current version, KDE Software Compilation 4, and can be optionally installed on K Desktop Environment 3. Although replaced as the default file manager for KDE SC 4, Konqueror is still the default web browser, and can be used as an alternative file manager for power users.
Under previous K Desktop Environment versions, Konqueror had served both as the default file manager and web browser. However, for many years users have criticized that Konqueror was too complex for simple file navigation. As a response, the two functions were divided into two separate applications. Under KDE SC 4, Dolphin was streamlined for browsing files, while sharing as much code as possible with Konqueror. Konqueror continues to be developed primarily as a web browser.
Dolphin and K Desktop Environment 3
As development of the KDE SC 4 version was underway, the K Desktop Environment 3 version of Dolphin was discontinued. However, the program continues to be unofficially available for K Desktop Environment 3 under the slightly modified name of "D3lphin". D3lphin contains many bugfixes and a new sidebar, but is no longer maintained.
- Breadcrumb navigation bar – each part of the URL is clickable
- 3 view modes (Icons, Details and Columns), remembered for each folder
- File Previews
- Split views (for copying and moving files)
- Network transparency – using KDE’s KIO slaves
- Undo/Redo functionality
- Tabbed navigation
- Renaming of a variable number of selected items in one step
- NEPOMUK integration (including search, tagging, rating and commenting files)
- Places bar which also integrates with Kickoff's, "Computer" tab
- Sorting and grouping of files by name, size, type and others
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "Projects/KDE on Windows/Installation". KDE TechBase. KDE Website. Last updated 7 December 2009. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- ^ "(KDE) Revision 633622". The KDE Source Repository. KDE Website. 14 February 2007. http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&sortby=rev&revision=633622. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- ^ "D3lphin – marratwiki". marrat.homelinux.org. 17 December 2007. https://marrat.homelinux.org/D3lphin. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
KDE Community People Software CompilationKDE 1 · KDE 2 · KDE 3 · KDE SC 4 Workspaces Applications Development Education Games Graphics Internet Multimedia Office System Utilities Platform Packages File managers Unix-like DOS Windows Mac OS BeOS-likeOpenTracker · Tracker Cross-platform
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
File manager — For the Windows 3.x file manager, see File Manager (Windows). A file manager or file browser is a computer program that provides a user interface to work with file systems. The most common operations performed on files or groups of files are:… … Wikipedia
Nautilus (file manager) — Nautilus file manager Screenshot of Nautilus 3.0.2 Developer(s) … Wikipedia
PCMan File Manager — Developer(s) Hong Jen Yee (PCMan) Stable release 0.9.10 / 2011/10/24; 3 days ago … Wikipedia
PCMan File Manager — PCMan File Manager … Wikipédia en Français
Dolphin (disambiguation) — A dolphin is any member of the families Delphinidae (oceanic dolphins) and Platanistoidea (river dolphins). Dolphin may also refer to: Contents 1 Sports 2 Aircraft 3 … Wikipedia
Dolphin Browser — Not to be confused with Dolphin (file manager). Dolphin Browser Screenshot … Wikipedia
Dolphin (Logiciel) — Dolphin … Wikipédia en Français
Dolphin (logiciel) — Dolphin Dolphin est dédié uniquement à la gestion de fichiers, contrairement à … Wikipédia en Français
Dolphin (KDE) — Dolphin Dolphin mit Informationsleiste … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dolphin (software) — Infobox Software name = Dolphin caption = Unlike Konqueror, Dolphin is focused purely on file management. developer = The KDE Team latest release version = 1.1 latest release date = July 29 2008 operating system = Linux, Unix like and embedded… … Wikipedia