- D. A. Carson
Donald Arthur Carson (born December 21, 1946) is a Canadian-born evangelical theologian and professor of New Testament.
Background and education
Carson was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, to Thomas Donald McMillan Carson and Elizabeth Margaret (née Maybury), but grew up in Drummondville. He earned his B.S. (1967) in chemistry and mathematics from McGill University, his M.Div. from Central Baptist Seminary (Toronto), and his Ph.D. (1975) in the New Testament from the University of Cambridge. Carson married Joy (née Wheildon) on August 16, 1975.
Carson served as pastor of Richmond Baptist Church in Richmond, British Columbia from 1970 to 1972. Following his doctoral studies, he served for three years at Northwest Baptist Theological College (Vancouver) and in 1976 was the founding dean of the seminary. In 1978, Carson joined the faculty of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where he is currently serving as research professor.
In connection with reading the Sermon on the Mount, Don Carson advises: "Start with the structure of the sermon, and thus how it fits together. My father used to tell me that a text without a context becomes a pretext for a proof text, so when I was still quite young I learned to look at the context." ("One Way (Matthew 7:13-27)", in Richard D. Phillips, editor, Only One Way?: Reaffirming the Exclusive Truth Claims of Christianity, Crossway Books, 2007, pp. 127–142, at pp. 133–134.) In Biblical criticism, a proof text is the scriptural text that proves, or is claimed to prove, a particular doctrine. As a result of frequent overuse and occasional abuse of proof texts, the term has acquired a negative and sometimes even pejorative connotation.
Carson has quoted this adage in his lectures for several decades, before it gained popularity as a result of being quoted out of context by Jesse Jackson: "Text, without context, is pretext." (Sheldon R. Gawiser & G. Evans Witt, A Journalist's Guide to Public Opinion Polls, Praeger, 1994, p. 111.)
Carson has written or edited 57 books, many of which have been translated into Chinese. These include major commentaries on Matthew in the Expositor's Bible Commentary (ISBN 0310499615) and John (ISBN 085111749X), commentaries on parts of the Bible, such as 1 Corinthians 12-14 (ISBN 0801025214) and the Sermon on the Mount (ISBN 0801024803). He has also written books on prayer, suffering, and free will and predestination from a generally compatibilist and Calvinist perspective.
Other publications include:
- The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism (1979) ISBN 0801024277
- Exegetical Fallacies (1984) ISBN 0801024994
- How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil (1990, 2006) ISBN 0801031257
- The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians (1993, 2004) ISBN 0801091683
- The Inclusive Language Debate: A Plea for Realism (1998) ISBN 0851115845
- The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God (1999) ISBN 1581341261
- For the Love of God, 2 volume devotional commentary based on Robert Murray M'Cheyne's system for reading the Bible through in one year (1998, 2006) ISBN 1581348150
- Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications (2005) ISBN 0310259479
- Telling the Truth: Evangelizing Postmoderns (2000, 2002)
- Justification And Variegated Nomism, 2 volumes which deal with the New Perspective on Paul issues that have arisen in recent years from people such as N. T. Wright (2001, 2004) ISBN 0801027926
- Christ and Culture Revisited (2008) ISBN 0802831745
- Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament, Editor, along with Beale, G. K.. (2008) ISBN 0-80-102693-8
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson (2008) ISBN 1433501996
- Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus (2010) ISBN 1433511258
- ^ a b Köstenberger, Andreas J.. "Detailed biography on D.A. Carson". http://www.biblicalfoundations.org/pdf/Carson.pdf. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- ^ "A Kernel of Wheat Christian Ministries". http://www.akow.org/. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- ^ "1997 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners". http://www.ecpa.org/christianbookawards/gm1997.php. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- Trinity's page on Dr. Don Carson
- D. A. Carson (Theopedia)
- Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals Carson is a member of the Alliance's Council.
- The Debate Over Gender-Inclusive Language
Publications and Audio:
- The Gospel Coalition collection: Includes a comprehensive bibliography (over 350 free PDFs) and sermons and lectures (about 500 free MP3s)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Carson City, Nevada — Carson City redirects here. For other uses, see Carson City (disambiguation). Carson City Independent city Consolidated Municipality of Carson City … Wikipedia
Carson — ist Name folgender Orte in den Vereinigten Staaten: Carson (Alabama) Carson (Iowa) Carson (Kalifornien) Carson (Kentucky) Carson (Louisiana) Carson (Maine) Carson (Mississippi) Carson (New Mexico) Carson (North Dakota) Carson (Oklahoma) Carson… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carson Cistulli — Carson Harrington Cistulli Full name Carson Harrington Cistulli Born December 23rd, 1979 Concord, New Hampshire Era 21st century poetry Region Western Poet … Wikipedia
Carson (surname) — Carson is a surname, and may refer to:Real persons*Adam Carson, Drummer for the band AFI *Andre Carson, U.S. Congressman *Anne Carson, Canadian writer *Ben Carson, American neurosurgeon *Ciarán Carson, Northern Ireland poet and novelist *David… … Wikipedia
Carson — may refer to:People*Carson (surname), people with the surname Carson *Carson (given name), people with the given name Carson Place names;United States *Carson, California *Carson, Iowa *Carson, North Dakota *Carson, Washington *Carson, Wisconsin… … Wikipedia
Carson (Nevada) — Carson City Ehemalige US Münzprägeanstalt in Carson City Lage in Nevada … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carson City (Nevada) — Carson City Ehemalige US Münzprägeanstalt in Carson City Lage in Nevada … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carson McCullers — (February 19, 1917 ndash; September 29, 1967) was an American writer. She wrote novels, short stories, and two plays, as well as essays and some poetry. Her first novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and… … Wikipedia
Carson City — Ehemalige US Münzprägeanstalt in Carson City Lage in Nevada … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carson (Nevada) — Carson City Carson City Devise : « Proud of its Past… Confident of its Future » Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Carson City (Nevada) — Carson City Carson City Devise : « Proud of its Past… Confident of its Future » Pays … Wikipédia en Français