- Jonathan Meyrick
The Rt Revd
Bishop of Lynn Church Church of England Diocese Diocese of Norwich Enthroned 29 June 2011 Predecessor Rt Revd James Langstaff Other posts Dean of Exeter (2005–2011) Orders Ordination 1976 Consecration 2 June 2011 Personal details Born 23 April 1952 Nationality British Denomination Anglican Spouse Rebecca Children 1 son and 2 daughters Alma mater St John's College, Oxford
Early life and education
Meyrick was ordained as a deacon in 1976 and as a priest in 1977. After a curacy at Bicester he was domestic chaplain to the Bishop of Oxford from 1978 to 1981 and then a tutor in Old Testament studies at Codrington College, Barbados until 1984. He returned to the Diocese of Oxford as Team Vicar of Burnham with Dropmore, Hitcham and Taplow until 1990, when he moved to become Team Rector of Tisbury, Sarum and Wells until 1998.
While at Tisbury, he served as Rural Dean of Chalke Valley from 1997 to 1998, when he moved to become a canon residentiary at Rochester Cathedral, where he served as Canon Pastor and Acting Dean. On 21 May 2005, he was installed as Dean of Exeter, serving simultaneously (ex officio) as Priest-in-charge of Central Exeter. He has presented a weekly feature in The Express and Echo under the name of "Johnny Dean".
In March 2011, it was announced that Meyrick had been appointed as Bishop of Lynn, taking over from the Rt Revd James Langstaff, Bishop of Rochester. He was consecrated as a bishop by Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, at Westminster Abbey on 2 June 2011 and installed in Norwich Cathedral on 29 June 2011.
- Jonathan Meyrick Esq (1952–1976)
- The Revd Jonathan Meyrick (1976–1998)
- The Revd Canon Jonathan Meyrick (1998–2005)
- The Very Revd Jonathan Meyrick (2005–2011)
- The Rt Revd Jonathan Meyrick (2011—present)
- ^ Number 10 — Suffragan See of Lynn
- ^ Diocese of Norwich – New Bishop of Lynn
- ^ Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 9780713672576
- ^ Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 9780715110300
- ^ Number 10 – Dean of Exeter
- ^ East Devon- Chairman’s engagements
- ^ This is Exeter – Johnny Dean
- ^ Eastern Daily Press – New Bishop for King's Lynn
Church of England titles Preceded by
Dean of Exeter
TBA Preceded by
Bishop of Lynn
Incumbent Bishops of Lynn
William Llewellyn · Aubrey Aitken · David Bentley · David Conner · Tony Foottit · James Langstaff · Jonathan Meyrick
Deans of Exeter 13th century 14th centuryHenry de Somerset • Thomas de Lechlade • Bartholomew de Sancto Laurentio • Richard de Coleton • Richard de Braylegh • Reginald de Bugwell • Robert Sumpter • Thomas Walkyngton 15th century 16th century 17th centuryWilliam Peterson • Seth Ward • Edward Younge • George Cary • Richard Annesley 18th century 19th century 20th century 21st century
This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.