- Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia
Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan
Political centres Moscow
Official languages Russian Member States Belarus
Area - Total 20,007,860 km2
12,432,307 sq mi
Population - 2010 estimate 167,454,573 - Density 8.36/km2
GDP (PPP) 2009 (IMF) estimate - Total $2.421 trillion - Per capita $14,500 GDP (nominal) 2009 (IMF) estimate - Total $1.391 trillion - Per capita $8,306.73 Website
The Customs Union between Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia came into existence on January 1, 2010. Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia are to go on with economic integration and are set to remove all customs borders between each other after July 2011.
- From January 1, 2012, the three states are expected to introduce the single economic space.
- Leaders of Tajikistan voiced their interest in potentially joining the union.
- Ukrainian President, Viktor Yanukovych has stated that Ukraine may potentially join the Customs Union in the future, but that the Constitution of Ukraine currently does not allow that. On the other hand, he has also stated that Ukraine will not join the Customs Union. Ukraine is negotiating an association agreement with the European Union (EU), entering the customs union with Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus would end the chances for this agreement according to European Commission President José Manuel Barroso. Yanukovych wants to pursue EU membership for Ukraine. In May 2011 Yanukovych stated Ukraine is "searching for mechanisms of cooperation that will allow us to work with the customs union to the extent which Ukrainian laws and our obligations to world organizations such as the World Trade Organization allow”.
- Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus have launched a customs union as a first step towards forming a broader EU-type economic alliance of former Soviet states.
- In October 2011, the acting prime minister of Kyrgyzstan has announced that the country will join the union, and that the process has been agreed with the prime-ministers of the other member states. 
- On 19 November 2011 Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia put together a joint commission on fostering closer economic ties, planning to create a Eurasian Economic Union by 2015.
- Regional organizations in the Post-Soviet space
- Union State
- Eurasian Economic Community
- Free trade areas in Europe
- European Union Customs Union
- Trade bloc
- Eurasian Union
- ^ Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan Agree on Customs Union Saturday, 5 December 2009
- ^ Ukraine may join Customs Union – Yanukovich Nov 26, 2010
- ^ Ukraine will join neither NATO nor Customs Union with Russia, Yanukovych assures Tuesday 13 april 2010
- ^ a b c Yanukovych Drives Ukraine Toward EU as Russian Natural Gas Agreement Looms, Bloomberg L.P. (May 25, 2011)
- ^ http://rt.com/business/news/customs-union-kyrgyzstan-joins-205/
- ^ "Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan sign pact". UPI. 19 November 2011. http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/11/19/Russia-Belarus-Kazakhstan-sign-pact/UPI-15221321748054/?spt=hs&or=tn. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
Europe Culture Demographics Economy Geography History Politics European Union Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Customs union — World trade A series on Trade … Wikipedia
Russia — /rush euh/, n. 1. Also called Russian Empire. Russian, Rossiya. a former empire in E Europe and N and W Asia: overthrown by the Russian Revolution 1917. Cap.: St. Petersburg (1703 1917). 2. See Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. 3. See Russian… … Universalium
Kazakhstan — Republic of Kazakhstan Қазақстан Республикасы Qazaqstan Respublïkası Республика Казахстан Respublika Kazakhstan … Wikipedia
Union State — For the bank, see Union State Bank. Union State Союзное государство (ru) Саюзная дзяржава (be) Headq … Wikipedia
Union of Russia and Belarus — Infobox Country native name = Союзное государство России и Белоруссии Soyuznoye gosudarstvo Rossii i Belorussii Union State of Russia and Belarus The Union of Russia and Belarus ( ru. Союз России и Белоруссии, СРБ; Soyuz Rossii i Byelorussii, SRB … Wikipedia
Kazakhstan — /kah zahk stahn /, n. a republic in central Asia, NE of the Caspian Sea and W of China. 16,898,572; 1,049,155 sq. mi. (2,717,311 sq. km). Cap.: Akmola. Former official name, Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic. * * * Kazakhstan Introduction… … Universalium
Russia — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::Russia <p></p> Background: <p></p> Founded in the 12th century, the Principality of Muscovy, was able to emerge from over 200 years of Mongol domination (13th 15th… … The World Factbook
Kazakhstan — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::Kazakhstan <p></p> Background: <p></p> Ethnic Kazakhs, a mix of Turkic and Mongol nomadic tribes who migrated into the region in the 13th century, were rarely united… … The World Factbook
RUSSIA — RUSSIA, former empire in Eastern Europe; from 1918 the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (R.S.F.S.R.), from 1923 the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (U.S.S.R.); from 1990 the Russian Federation. Until 1772 ORIGINS The penetration… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Russia–European Union relations — Euro Russian relations European Union … Wikipedia