- Regional cuisine
Regional cuisine can be defined as cuisine based upon global, national, state or local regions. Regional cuisines may vary based upon food availability and trade, varying climates, cooking traditions and practices, and cultural differences. One noteworthy definition is based upon traditional cuisine: "A traditional cuisine is a coherent tradition of food preparation that rises from the daily lives and kitchens of a people over an extended period of time in a specific region of a country, or a specific country, and which, when localized, has notable distinctions from the cuisine of the country as a whole." Regional food preparation traditions, customs and ingredients often combine to create dishes unique to a particular region. Regional cuisines are often named after the geographic areas or regions that they originate from.
- ^ Public House Britannica.com; Subscription Required. Retrieved 03-07-08.
- ^ Cronin, Michael; O'Connor, Barbara (2003). Barbara O'Connor. ed. Irish Tourism: image, culture, and identity. Tourism and Cultural Change. 1. Channel View Publications. pp. 83. ISBN 9781873150535. http://books.google.com/books?id=mLkIW-c4dScC&pg=PA83&dq=%22Many+foreign+visitors+regard+Ireland%27s+pub+culture%22&hl=en&ei=wC-PTc-OIsaYhQe1lOC7Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Many%20foreign%20visitors%20regard%20Ireland%27s%20pub%20culture%22&f=false. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- ^ "Find Your Local! - All about Scottish Pubs." Insiders-scotland-guide.com. Accessed July 2011.
- ^ (Australian) "Drinking etiquette." Convict Creations. Retrieved 24-04-11.
- ^ "Region." (Definition). Merriam-Webster dictionary. Accessed June 2011.
- ^ a b c "The American Food Revolutions: Cuisines in America." Eldrbarry.net. Accessed June 2011.
- ^ "Rediscover the flavors and traditions of true American cuisine!" Whatscookingamerica.net. Accessed June 2011.
- eNotes - Encyclopedia of Food and Culture
- The Global Gastronomer - Cuisines of the World
- Wikia - Recipes Wiki
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hawaii regional cuisine — See also: Hawaiian cuisine Hawaii regional cuisine, abbreviated to HRC, is two concepts; It s the moniker for a style of cooking, and secondly, it’s the name a group of twelve chefs gave their organization which began as a drinking club. At their … Wikipedia
Japanese regional cuisine — Japanese cuisine has a vast array of regional specialities known as Kyōdo Ryōri (郷土料理) in Japanese, many of them originating from dishes prepared using traditional recipes using local ingredients. While local ingredients are now available… … Wikipedia
régional — régional, ale, aux [ reʒjɔnal, o ] adj. • 1534, rare av. 1848; de région 1 ♦ Relatif à une région (1o), à une province (3o). Les parlers régionaux. ⇒ dialectal; dialecte. Institutions, coutumes, danses régionales (⇒ folklore) . Costume régional.… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Cuisine of the United States — The cuisine of the United States is a style of food preparation derived from the United States. The cuisine has a history dating back before the colonial period when the Native Americans had a rich and diverse cooking style for an equally diverse … Wikipedia
Cuisine of the Midwestern United States — Chicago style deep dish pizza … Wikipedia
Cuisine of the Thirteen Colonies — North American colonies 1763–76 The cuisine of the Thirteen Colonies includes the foods, eating habits, and cooking methods of the British colonies in North America before the establishment of the United States in the 1770s and 1780s. It was… … Wikipedia
Cuisine — See also: Global cuisines, Outline of cuisines, and Regional cuisine Contents 1 History 2 Global and regional cuisines … Wikipedia
Cuisine of Austria — The Cuisine of Austria, which is often incorrectly equated with Viennese cuisine, is derived from the cuisine of the Austro Hungarian Empire. In addition to native regional traditions it has been influenced above all by Hungarian, Czech, Italian … Wikipedia
Cuisine of the Western United States — The Western United States has its own cuisine, distinct in various ways from that of the rest of the country. Those states west of Texas, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska would be considered part of this area, as would, in some cases, western… … Wikipedia
Cuisine of Hawaii — Modern cuisine of Hawaii is a fusion of many cuisines brought by multi ethnic immigrants to the islands, particularly of American, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Polynesian and Portuguese origins, and including food sources from plants and… … Wikipedia