- Max Keiser
Max Keiser in a London taxi
Born Timothy Maxwell Keiser
January 23, 1960
Education NYU Occupation Journalist Notable relatives German and Scottish Ancestry, Hugh Maxwell, V 1777-1860 Notable credit(s) Hollywood Stock Exchange, People & Power, The Oracle with Max Keiser, Karmabanque Official website
Timothy Maxwell "Max" Keiser (born January 23, 1960) is an American broadcaster, film-maker, and former equities broker. Keiser is the host of On the Edge, a program of news and analysis hosted by Iran's Press TV. He also hosts Keiser Report, a financial program broadcast on RT - formerly Russia Today. Keiser hosted the New Year's Eve special, The Keiser's Business Guide to 2010 for BBC Radio 5 Live.
Keiser formerly hosted The Oracle with Max Keiser on BBC World News. Previously he produced and appeared regularly in the TV series People & Power on the Al-Jazeera English network. He also presents a weekly show about finance and markets on London's Resonance FM, as well as writing for The Huffington Post.
In addition to his broadcasting work, Keiser is known for his invention of "Virtual Specialist Technology" - a software system used by the Hollywood Stock Exchange.
- 1 Early career
- 2 Hollywood Stock Exchange
- 3 Broadcasting career
- 4 Activism
- 5 Criticism
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Keiser has been involved with markets and finance for 25 years. He started his career as a stock broker on Wall Street after graduating from New York University.
Hollywood Stock Exchange
Keiser is the creator, co-founder and former CEO of HSX Holdings/Hollywood Stock Exchange, later sold to Cantor Fitzgerald. Max co-created the Hollywood Stock Exchange with Michael R. Burns. The Hollywood Stock Exchange allows traders to exchange virtual securities such as "MovieStocks", and "StarBonds" and convertible virtual currency, the Hollywood Dollar.
Keiser is also the co-founder of HSX films that went on to make almost a dozen films, including "Mixed Signals", "Six-String Samurai", "Dancer, Texas Pop. 81", and "girl". The company then sold to Ignite Entertainment/Lionsgate.
Keiser presented "Rumble at the Box Office" for NBC's Access Hollywood. He also produced and hosted the weekly talk show, Buy, Sell, Hold for CBS radio's KLSX in Los Angeles. Currently, he presents The Truth About Markets on Resonance 104.4 FM in London and on RDU 98.5 in Christchurch, New Zealand.
People & Power
Keiser produced ten short documentary films covering aspects of financial markets for Al Jazeera's series People & Power.
Films include "Rigged Markets", Money Geyser, Death of the Dollar, Peaked, Extraordinary Antics, Savers vs Speculators, Banking on It, Private Finance or Public Swindle?, Focus on Locusts.
The Oracle with Max Keiser
A pilot episode was produced for Al-Jazeera English titled The Oracle. This was developed into a series for  BBC World News. The series first aired on January 9, 2009 and ran for ten episodes. It explored financial current affairs from the perspective of prediction markets. It was intended to be a humorous take on financial news before it happens.
On The Edge
The Keiser Report
Since September 2009, Keiser has hosted The Keiser Report with financial news and analysis, on the RT network. The 30-minute program is produced three times a week. Stacy Herbert appears in the first half of each show with headlines and commentary. In the second half Max Keiser interviews a guest..
An episode broadcast in September 2011 featured an interview with comedienne Rosanne Barr who stated that her solution to the financial crisis was to "bring back the guillotine".
Keiser has appeared as a financial pundit on a number of news-networks. His appearances are remarkable for the often incendiary nature of his remarks. For example, Keiser called for a "fatwa" against Hank Paulson on Al Jazeera in response to the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). In a later-broadcast Keiser said "Paulson Stinks". Keiser has advised investors to buy Silver bullion and physical silver, promoting the metal as a store of value.
Throughout Keiser's shows he has been known for making predictions:
- In the September 2004 issue of The Ecologist magazine, Keiser correctly predicted the 2008 collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when he wrote, "My guess is that the two stocks that look the likeliest to implode at the hands of derivative-wielding Wall Street financial types (and other fundamentalists) preying on a US economy made weak by cheap money are Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."
- In 2006 he correctly predicted that sub-prime mortgage-backed securities would be the cause of recession by 2008.[dead link]
- In 2007 he correctly predicted the break-down of Iceland's economy in 2008.
- In October 2011, during the Keiser Report, Keiser re-stated his previous prediction that Germany would return to the Deutsche Mark. In episode 192 (E192), he stated that he assisted in substantiating that prediction for posting on this page.
Keiser founded the hedge fund Karmabanque which sought to profit from any decline in equity-value of companies that are susceptible to boycott from environmental groups. The hedge fund's progress was followed monthly in the Ecologist Magazine, edited by Zac Goldsmith. Its targets included Coca-Cola and McDonald's. The Karmabanque hedge fund project was designed to simultaneously short-sell companies while funnelling profits from this activity into environmental and ethical-business pressure groups which further act to drive down the price. Describing the project, Keiser states "The Internet allows people, activists, from all over the world to gather, or swarm, and hit a company where it hurts most -- in their stock price."
In the Al-Jazeera short-film Extraordinary Antics Keiser travels to Milan and Venice Italy to find out how CIA agent Robert Seldon Lady and his fellow agents spent $500,000 on a procedure known as extraordinary rendition - a practice which is illegal and caused an Egyptian citizen, who had been granted asylum in Italy, to be abducted in order to face torture in Cairo. The CIA was prosecuted for the case and CIA station chief Robert Lady was found guilty in a Milan court and sentenced on November 9, 2009 to nine years in an Italian prison, according to the Guardian Newspaper. This verdict was upheld on appeal. The US refuses to extradite Mr Lady to Italy.
Crash JP Morgan buy silver
Max Keiser has labeled JP Morgan "the biggest financial terrorist on Wall St", in relation to their alleged manipulation of the price of silver. Keiser has started a campaign called "Crash JP Morgan buy silver", where people buy silver, thus raising its price and leaving JP Morgan with a huge short position to cover, the margin of which are collateralized by JP Morgan's own stock price, bankrupting itself. Based on the collateralization of silver by the price of its shares, and, of course, his allegation that JP Morgan's position is an overwhelmingly large naked short position, Keiser predicted that the a per ounce silver price exceeding JP Morgan's stock price will not only crash JP Morgan, but unsettle the underpinnings of the dollar, which he claims are essentially confetti.
Adweek magazine described Keiser as "the most visible character in an underground movement that has spurred hundreds of blog posts and videos, and played some small part in driving up the price of precious metals." However, Keiser's prediction that JP Morgan would go bust if Silver hit 47 dollars has failed to materialise, drawing criticism from the financial community.
- The Guardian newspaper, in an item titled "Mad Max", described Keiser's Karmabanque hedge fund as a "fantastical scheme" and accused him of trying to exist "beyond the normal forces and controls of society."
- Keiser drew criticism at the 2000 ShowBiz Expo in Las Vegas when he said of media content that "Everything is inescapably going to a price point called free." In response, Kevin Tsujihara, executive V.P. of New Media at Warner Bros., commented that "Piracy.com" will be the victor if superior content is available on sites supported by advertisements.
- In 2005, Steven Milloy, the "Junk Science" commentator demanded that Keiser be removed from the panel of the Triple Bottom Line Investing conference, where he was scheduled to appear. Milloy accused Keiser of making threats against his organization and petitioned sponsors Calvert Investments and KLD Research & Analytics to withdraw from the project. Robert Rubenstein founder of conference organiser Brooklyn Bridge stated that Keiser's comments “do not constitute a threat to person or property and are not related to the conference or the content that will be presented there”.
- Referring to Keiser's Karmabanque project, a spokeswoman for RyanAir said, "Since they put Ryanair on their list, our share price has gone up by 10 per cent. We are always delighted to be part of a list which includes Coca-Cola, Starbucks and Wal-Mart.", however on the same day The Hindu published an article in which Howard Millar, Ryanair deputy chief executive admitted that his company may be vulnerable to environmental pressure groups: "I am concerned that there is a continuing media campaign and the concern is that people might say 'maybe I will not fly on holiday and maybe I will make a different choice'."
- Error accounts a term often mentioned by Max Keiser
- Central bank or Reserve bank
- Gold standard where paper currency is backed up by the value of Gold
- Hollywood Accounting
- ^ "Press TV website, programme list". Presstv.ir. http://www.presstv.ir/programs/. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Keiser Report — RT Programs". Russiatoday.com. http://www.russiatoday.com/About_Us/Programmes/Keiser_Report.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Radio 5 live Programmes - The Keiser's Business Guide to 2010". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pgpkc. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Collection of articles". Huffingtonpost.com. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-keiser/#blogger_bio. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ HSX: History, HSX
- ^ Keiser holds US patent for the 'Virtual Specialist Technology" on which the Hollywood Stock Exchange operates.
- ^ Braunstein, Peter (1999-11-16). "Access' Denied". Village Voice. http://www.villagevoice.com/1999-11-16/news/access-denied/. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ People and Power (TV Series 2007– ) at the Internet Movie Database
- ^ "Rigged Markets". English.aljazeera.net. http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2007/05/2008525185835422616.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Money Geyser". English.aljazeera.net. http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2007/08/200852518466637279.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Death of the Dollar 2". English.aljazeera.net. 2008-02-08. http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2007/12/20085251836767319.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ Peaked (TV episode 2008 #1.22) at the Internet Movie Database
- ^ Extraordinary Antics, Aljazeera English
- ^ Savers vs Speculators, Aljazeera English
- ^ Banking on It, Aljazeera English
- ^ "Private finance or public swindle?". English.aljazeera.net. 2008-03-17. http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2008/03/2008525185553743197.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Focus on locusts". English.aljazeera.net. http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2007/12/2008525173528498404.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ a b "BBC News - World Radio and TV". Bbcworldnews.com. 2011-04-26. http://www.bbcworldnews.com/Pages/Programme.aspx?id=246. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ On The Edge with Max Keiser, Press TV
- ^ "Keiser Report — RT Programs". Rt.com. http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Roseanne Barr: 'Guilty' Wall Street Bankers Should Be Sent to Reeducation Camps or Beheaded". Fox News. 2011-10-03. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/10/03/roseanne-barr-guilty-wall-street-bankers-should-be-sent-to-reeducation-camps-or/.
- ^ "Max Keiser - Aljazeera English News - 16 November 2008". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZiWd0bGAdc. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Afshin Rattansi : Global Rate Cuts". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRe0lIbSeaE. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Max Keiser: Artificially Low Interest Rates, Pre- and Post-9/11". Huffingtonpost.com. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-keiser/artificially-low-interest_b_111343.html. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ Keiser discusses Iceland and his BBC World series, The Oracle, With Max Keiser 
- ^ Hedge Fund Shorts Its Way into Political Activism, CBS Marketwatch
- ^ Boycott Coca Cola: Boycott Coca-Cola and make money for the victims of Coca-Cola. How much can we make?, The Ecologist Magazine
- ^ Campaign aims to hit Coke where it hurts, Guardian
- ^ Hedge Funds Banking on Social and Moral Issues, Washington Post
- ^ "Extraordinary Antics, Part 1". Youtube.com. 2007-06-18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVEMysbdOQ. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ The CIA in the Dock, Der Spiegel
- ^ Taylor, Jeff. "Max Keiser tells the world to Crash JP Morgan, buy silver". The Economic Voice. http://www.economicvoice.com/max-keiser-tells-the-world-to-crash-jp-morgan-buy-silver#axzz15IxazSq7. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- ^ Keiser, Max. "Crash JP Morgan Buy Silver says Max Keiser". Max Keiser. http://maxkeiser.com/2010/11/12/crash-jp-morgan-buy-silver-america-says-max-keiser/. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- ^ Zarowny, Andrew (November 14, 2010). "Crash JP Morgan Buy Silver – Growing Economic Guerrilla War to Crash Bank With Silver Bullets". Rightpundits.com. http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=7681. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- ^ Taylor, Jeff (November 12, 2010). "Max Keiser tells the world to Crash JP Morgan, buy silver". The Economic Voice. http://www.economicvoice.com/max-keiser-tells-the-world-to-crash-jp-morgan-buy-silver/50014046#ixzz15MNhRZGX. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- ^ Braiker, Brian (2011-06-02). "Silver Bug Goes Viral With Marketing War Max Keiser has become a fringe media star thanks to the Web". Adweek. http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/silver-bug-goes-viral-marketing-war-132161.
- ^ Mad Max, Guardian
- ^ For some, Internet Offers Free Ride, Variety
- ^ "Advocacy". Free Enterprise Action Fund. http://www.freeenterpriseactionfund.com/release101005.htm. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Clear Profit". Clear Profit. 2005-11-16. http://www.clear-profit.com/samplestories/cpoct0506.htm. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Max Keiser, Ryanair and the eco fears forcing their way onto the share price - Indymedia Ireland". Indymedia.ie. http://www.indymedia.ie/article/83266. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Eco-fears may hit sales of flights, admits Ryanair". The Hindu (Chennai, India). June 2, 2007. http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/006200706020340.htm.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Max Keiser — Timothy Maxwell Keiser (* 23. Januar 1960 in New Rochelle, N.Y.) ist ein US amerikanischer Ökonom und Publizist. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Keiser — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: César Keiser (1925–2007), Schweizer Kabarettist Christian Keiser (* 1980), deutscher Unternehmer und Manager Gabriele Keiser (* 1953), deutsche Autorin Helmut Keiser (* 1953), deutscher Unternehmer und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Max Kämpf — Max Megge Kämpf (* 15. Mai 1912 in Basel; † 26. September 1982 ebenda) war ein Schweizer Maler und Zeichner. Er wurde als jüngster Sohn von drei Kindern des Basler Bäckermeisters Emanuel Kämpf an der Riehentorstrasse geboren. Nach der Schulzeit… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Reinhard Keiser — (getauft 12. Januar 1674 in Teuchern; † 12. September 1739 in Hamburg) war ein deutscher Komponist und Opernproduzent. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben 2 Bedeutung 3 Werke (Auswahl) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Кайзер, Макс — Тимоти Максвелл Кайзер Timothy Maxwell Keiser … Википедия
People & Power — Infobox Television show name = People Power caption = People Power Opening Sequence show name 2 = genre = News and Current Affairs Programme creator = Al Jazeera English director = developer = presenter = starring = voices = narrated = theme… … Wikipedia
Naked short selling — Schematic representation of naked short selling in two steps. The short seller sells shares without owning them. He then purchases and delivers the shares for a different market price. If the short seller cannot afford the shares in the second… … Wikipedia
Макс Кайзер — Max Keiser Дата рождения: 23 января 1960(1960 01 23) (50 лет) Макс Кайзер ведущий телевизионных передач, кинорежиссер, в прошлом трейдер. Макс Кайзер был создателем и ведущим программы The Oracle with Max Keiser н … Википедия
Appel à la panique bancaire du 7 décembre 2010 — L’Appel à la panique bancaire du 7 décembre 2010 a été lancé par Yann Sarfati et Arnaud Varnier vite rejoints par Géraldine Feuillien suite au visionage d une interview sur le site de Presse Ocean de l ancien joueur de football français Éric… … Wikipédia en Français
RT (TV network) — Russia Today redirects here. For other uses, see Russia Today (disambiguation). RT Launched December 10, 2005 Owned by ANO TV Novosti Picture format 4:3 ( … Wikipedia