- Conus araneosus
Conus araneosus Apertural view of Conus araneosus Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Mollusca Class: Gastropoda (unranked): clade Caenogastropoda
Superfamily: Conoidea Family: Conidae Subfamily: Coninae Genus: Conus Species: C. araneosus Binomial name Conus araneosus
sensu Lightfoot, 1786
- Conus arachnoideus Gmelin, 1791
- Conus arachnoideus bizonata (f) Crosse, H., 1858
- Conus araneosus Hwass in Bruguière, 1792
- Conus cassis "Meuschen, F.C." Dillwyn, L.W., 1817
- Conus monstrosus Küster, 1838
- Conus peplum G. B. Sowerby II, 1857
- Conus reticulatus Perry, 1811
- Cucullus arenosus Röding, 1798
- Cucullus stercusmuscarum Röding, 1798
Like all species within the genus Conus, these snails are predatory and venomous. They are capable of "stinging" humans, therefore live ones should be handled carefully or not at all.
The size of an adult shell varies between 48 mm and 100mm. The shell is very closely reticulated with white and light chestnut, the white spots crowded and irregular in size, the chestnut lines forming two interrupted, irregular bands. 
- Spry, J.F. (1961). The sea shells of Dar es Salaam: Gastropods. Tanganyika Notes and Records 56
- Filmer R.M. (2001). A Catalogue of Nomenclature and Taxonomy in the Living Conidae 1758 - 1998. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. 388pp.
- Tucker J.K. (2009). Recent cone species database. September 4th 2009 Edition.
- The Conus Biodiversity website
- Gastropods.com: Conus (Conus) araneosus araneosus; accessed : 12 July 2011
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.