- Container Corporation of India
Container Corporation of India Ltd. (Concor) is a Navratna Public Sector undertaking under the Indian Ministry of Railways. Incorporated in March 1988 under the Companies Act, Concor commenced operations in November 1989 taking over an existing network of seven inland container depots (ICDs) from Indian Railways. It now has a network of 59 ICDs/CFSs (Container Freight Stations) throughout India.
Indian Railway's strategic initiative to containerize cargo transport put India on the intermodal freight transport map for the first time in 1966. Given India's size (almost 3,000 kilometres (1,900 mi) from North to South and East to West), rail transport is often a cheaper option for all cargo over medium and long distances, especially if the cost of inter-modal transfers can be reduced. Seeing that containerized multi-modal door-to-door transport provided a solution to this problem, in 1966 Indian Railways entered the market for moving door-to-door domestic cargo in special DSO containers.
Although the first ISO container in India had been handled in Kochi as early as 1973, it was not until 1981 that the first ISO container was moved inland by Indian Railways to the country's first ICD at Bangalore, also managed by the Indian Railways.
Expansion of the network to seven ICDs by 1988 saw an increase in container handling capacity, while along the way a strong view emerged that there was a need to set up a separate pro-active organization to promote and manage the growth of containerization in India.
Concor operated three core businesses: cargo carrier; terminal operator, and warehouse operator.
Achievements and awards
- MOU Excellence Award for four Consecutive years (2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07 & 2007–08) among top ten cpses.[clarification needed]
- ISO-9001:2000 quality systems certification for 35 Terminals/units obtained up to financial year 2007–08. 16 terminals/units certified to ISO 9001:2008 standards in financial yyear 2008–09.
- Concor was recognised as the top Indian company in the shipping and logistics sector in the Dun & Bradstreet-American Express corporate awards, 2007 & 2008 consecutively.
- Concor has received a corporate excellence award from Amity International[who?] for the year 2007.
- Obtained ISO/IEC 27001-2005 certification from STQC for its certification services to the (Ministry of Communication and Information Technology) for establishing an information security management system (ISMS).
- Concor won an award for the “Web Based integrated container/terminal management system” project judged by AFACT (Asia-Pacific Council for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business) as a winner of the e-Asia 2009 award in the category “electronic business in the public sector”.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Shipping Corporation of India — Infobox Company company name = Shipping Corporation of India company company type = Government Owned (BSE: [http://www.bseindia.com/price finder/stockreach.asp?scripcd=523598 SCI] ) foundation = Mumbai, 1961 | location = 400 021 India industry =… … Wikipedia
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
Corporation of Cochin — കൊച്ചി കോര്പ്പറേഷന് State … Wikipedia
Container ship — Two container ships pass in San Francisco Bay Class overview Name: Container ship Subclasses: (1) Geared or gearless … Wikipedia
Ministry of Railways (India) — This article is about the Ministry or Railways. For general information on the Indian Railways organisation, see Indian Railways. Republic of India Ministry of Railways Emblem of India Department over … Wikipedia
Northern Railway Zone (India) — This article is about the northernmost zone of the Indian Railways. For other uses, see Northern Railway (disambiguation). Northern Railway 1 Northern Railway Dates of operation 1952– Track gauge … Wikipedia
Central Railway Zone (India) — Central Railway 8 Central Railway CR s headquarters Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus … Wikipedia
Northeast Frontier Railway Zone (India) — Northeast Frontier Railway 3 Northeast Frontier Railway Locale Assam, Bihar and West Bengal Dates of operation 1958– Predecessor … Wikipedia
North Central Railway Zone (India) — North Central Railway 13 North Central Railway Dates of operation 2009– Track gauge Mixed Headquarters Allahabad … Wikipedia
North Eastern Railway Zone (India) — North Eastern Railway System map 2 North Eastern Railway Dates of operation 1952– Track gauge Mixed Headquarters Gorakhpur Website North Eastern Rai … Wikipedia