- Constituent Assembly of Tunisia
National Constituent Assembly of Tunisia
المجلس التأسيسي الوطني التونسي
al-Majlis al-Waṭanī at-Ta’sīsī at-Tūnsī
Type Founded 22 November 2011 Type unicameral Structure Members 217 Political groupsEnnahda (89)CPR (29)Popular Petition (26)Ettakatol (20)PDP (16)Initiative (5)PDM (5)Afek (4)PCOT (3)Other parties and independents (20) Elections Voting system Party-list proportional representation Last election 23 October 2011 Meeting place Bardo Website constituante2011.tn
The Constituent Assembly of Tunisia, or National Constituent Assembly (NCA) is the body that will work out a new Tunisian constitution for the era after the fall of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and his Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD)–regime. To be convoked after the election on 23 October 2011, the convention will consist of 217 lawmakers representing Tunisians living both in the country and abroad. According to preliminary results, a plurality of members will come from the moderate Islamist Ennahda Movement. The Assembly will hold its first meeting on 22 November.
Besides drafting a new basic law for Tunisia, it is to be determined whether or not the Constituent Assembly should also have the power to appoint a temporary government and a new interim president for the time until general elections are held. However, it is widely acknowledged that the Assembly can decide whether to extend the current interim government's term or to choose a new one. Provisionally, a time of approximately one year has been envisioned to develop the new constitution, whereas the convention itself will be sovereign to set its own schedule.
- ^ http://www.tunisia-live.net/2011/11/18/how-will-the-first-session-of-the-constituent-assembly-be-held/
- ^ a b Backgrounder: Basic facts about Tunisian Constituent Assembly election, Xinhua English News, 22 October 2011, http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-10/23/c_131206984.htm, retrieved 25 October 2011
- ^ Parker, Emily (6 September 2011), Tunisians Confused: What Is the Role of the Constituent Assembly?, tunisia-live.net, http://www.tunisia-live.net/2011/09/06/tunisians-confused-what-is-the-role-of-the-constituent-assembly/, retrieved 25 October 2011
- ^ Gamha, Eymen (10 October 2011), Tunisia’s Constituent Assembly: How Long Will it Last?, tunisia-live.net, http://www.tunisia-live.net/2011/10/10/constituent-assembly-what-about-its-duration/, retrieved 25 October 2011
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tunisia — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::Tunisia <p></p> Background: <p></p> Rivalry between French and Italian interests in Tunisia culminated in a French invasion in 1881 and the creation of a protectorate … The World Factbook
Tunisia — Tunisian Republic الجمهورية التونسية al Jumhūriyyah at Tūnisiyyah … Wikipedia
Constitution of Tunisia — Tunisia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Tunisia … Wikipedia
Chamber of Councillors of Tunisia — Tunisia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Tunisia … Wikipedia
Ministry of Regional Development (Tunisia) — Tunisia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Tunisia … Wikipedia
Court of Cassation (Tunisia) — Tunisia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Tunisia … Wikipedia
Politics of Tunisia — Tunisian Chamber of Deputies. Tunisia … Wikipedia
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Tunisia) — Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia وزارة الشؤون الخارجية Coat of Arms of Tunisia Agency overview Formed … Wikipedia
Ministry of Communication Technologies (Tunisia) — Minister of Communication Technologies وزير تكنولوجيات الاتصال و المعلومات Coat of Arms of Tunisia Agency overview A … Wikipedia
Chamber of Deputies of Tunisia — Chamber of Deputies مجلس النواب تونس Majlis al Nuwaab Type Type … Wikipedia