- Kenneth L. Curtis
Kenneth L. Curtis (born August 3, 1965) is a former college student from Connecticut who on October 30, 1987 shot and killed his estranged girlfriend, and shot himself in the head. He was charged criminally for the killing, but originally was found mentally incompetent to stand trial, and had the criminal charges dismissed. Years later, he enrolled in college, and pursued studies as a pre-med student. He again was charged with the killing, found competent, and subsequently pled guilty to manslaughter.
The case (Connecticut vs. Kenneth Curtis) changed the views in the justice system of mental competence to stand trial. Prior to this case, those given such an assessment were viewed as not restorable, and charges would be dismissed in favor of periodic reviews used only in determining the need for a civil commitment.
On October 30, 1987, Curtis shot his estranged girlfriend Donna Kalson in a bar parking lot in Stratford, Connecticut, killing her. He then shot himself in a murder-suicide attempt. He also injured one of Kalson's friends who was in her company in the process. After a lengthy hospitalization in which he was on advanced life support, he survived his own shot, leaving him severely disabled. He was partially brain damaged and paralyzed.
After being released from the hospital, Curtis was charged with Kalson's murder and the attempted murder of her friend. But following his recovery, more than a year after the incident, he was given a mental competence evaluation to determine if he could stand trial for his crimes. During the evaluation, it was found that his ability to read or understand were impaired, and he had no memory of the incident. As a result, he was ruled mentally incompetent to stand trial. But he was not ordered to be confined to a mental institution. He was allowed to return home. Kalson's family was initially unaware of this.
This did not sit well with Donna Kalson's parents when they learned, following a tip, that Curtis was attending a local college. The Kalsons arranged for their own investigation of Curtis. Reporters for News Channel 8 observed Curtis taking classes at a local college with an apparent goal of a career in psychiatry. His grades were mostly As and Bs; his grade point average after receiving 48 credits was 3.3, information that was obtained from a search warrant on Curtis's grades at three colleges executed by Stratford police. His actions on campus, including a conversation the reporters had directly with Curtis, were filmed by reporters. While Curtis's defense team called many doctors to testify on his behalf, the video produced by the network was viewed as overwhelming evidence in favor of declaring him mentally competent.
Curtis's defense team attempted to fight the actions taken against him, claiming that he was already declared incompetent and could not be tried due to a Connecticut law that required such closure of all cases of this type after 18 months. They took their battles all the way to the Connecticut Supreme Court. But double jeopardy laws and other laws were not considered to be applicable, and Curtis was ordered to stand trial.
- People Magazine article on the Kenneth Curtis case; describes many details
- Social Work and the Law by Ira A. Neighbors, Anne Chambers, Ellen Levin, Gila Nordman, Cynthia Tutrone, National Organization of Forensic Social Work, ISBN 078901548-X, pages 15-19; describes the case and its impact on the justice system
- ^ MacFarquhar, Neil (September 17, 1999). "Guilty Plea in '87 Killing; Case Altered Competency Laws". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/17/nyregion/guilty-plea-in-87-killing-case-altered-competency-laws.html?pagewanted=1. Retrieved March 10, 2010.
- ^ "METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Student Loses His Bid To Quash Murder Counts". The New York Times. August 26, 1998. http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/26/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-student-loses-his-bid-to-quash-murder-counts.html. Retrieved May 7, 2010.
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=5s7QSTvIi70C&pg=PA15&dq=%22kenneth+curtis%22murder&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=5s7QSTvIi70C&pg=PA16&lpg=PA15&dq=%22kenneth+curtis%22murder&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ^ "Connecticut in legal quandary over man accused of murder". CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/US/9712/26/legal.quandary/. Retrieved May 7, 2010.
- ^ http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20124442,00.html
- ^ http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1997-12-11/news/news-of-the-weird/
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=5s7QSTvIi70C&pg=PA16&lpg=PA15&vq=curtis&dq=%22kenneth+curtis%22murder&as_brr=3&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
- ^ http://video.wtnh.com/news/1999/may/05131999-curtis.html
- ^ http://video.wtnh.com/news/1998/sep/093098.html
- ^ "Man Found Incompetent but Gets Prison". Los Angeles Times. December 4, 1999. http://articles.latimes.com/1999/dec/04/news/mn-40924. Retrieved May 7, 2010.
- ^ http://www.ctinmateinfo.state.ct.us/detailsupv.asp?id_inmt_num=260245
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kenneth Merwin Curtis — (* 8. Februar 1931 in Curtis Corner, Leeds, Maine) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Er war zwischen 1967 und 1975 Gouverneur von Maine. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe Jahre 2 Politische Karriere 3 Präsidentschafts … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kenneth M. Curtis — Kenneth Merwin Curtis (* 8. Februar 1931 in Curtis Corner, Leeds, Maine) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Er war zwischen 1967 und 1975 Gouverneur des Bundesstaates Maine. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe Jahre 2 Politische Laufbahn … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kenneth M. Curtis — Kenneth Merwin Curtis (born February 8 1931 in Leeds, Maine) is a former Democratic politician, and is currently a principal in the law firm of Curtis Thaxter Stevens Broder Micoleau Limited Liability Company, P.A.Curtis graduated with a B.S.… … Wikipedia
Kenneth Curtis — Kenneth Merwin Curtis (* 8. Februar 1931 in Curtis Corner, Leeds, Maine) ist ein US amerikanischer Politiker. Er war zwischen 1967 und 1975 Gouverneur von Maine. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe Jahre 2 Politische Karriere 3 Präsidentschafts … Deutsch Wikipedia
Curtis (Familienname) — Curtis ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Adam Curtis (* 1955), britischer Dokumentarfilmer Alan Curtis (eigentlich Harold Neberroth; 1909−1953), US amerikanischer Schauspieler Alan Curtis (Musiker) (* 1934), US amerikanischer Cembalist,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Curtis — Curtiss redirects here. For other uses, see Curtis (disambiguation). Contents 1 Surname uses: Curtis 1.1 People 1.2 Ficti … Wikipedia
Kenneth Branagh — en juillet 2009. Données clés Naissance 10 … Wikipédia en Français
Curtis Brown (literary agents) — Curtis Brown (Curtis Brown Literary and Talent Agency) is a literary and talent agency based in London, UK. It was founded in 1899 by Albert Curtis Brown. Contents 1 History 2 Recent history 3 Clients 3.1 … Wikipedia
Curtis Brown — redirects here. For other uses, see Curtis Brown (disambiguation). Curtis Lee Curt Brown, Jr. NASA Astronaut Nationality American … Wikipedia
Kenneth Welsh — Kenneth Welsh, auch als Ken Welsh bekannt (* 30. März 1942 in Edmonton, Alberta) ist ein kanadischer Filmschauspieler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Person 2 Filmografie (Auswahl) 2.1 Film … Deutsch Wikipedia