- Earth Summit
The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), also known as the Rio Summit, Rio Conference, Earth Summit (Portuguese: Eco '92) was a major United Nations conference held in Rio de Janeiro from 3 June to 14 June 1992.
172 governments participated, with 108 sending their heads of state or government. Some 2,400 representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) attended, with 17,000 people at the parallel NGO "Global Forum" (a.k.a. Forum Global), who had Consultative Status.
The issues addressed included:
- systematic scrutiny of patterns of production — particularly the production of toxic components, such as lead in gasoline, or poisonous waste including radioactive chemicals
- alternative sources of energy to replace the use of fossil fuels which are linked to global climate change
- new reliance on public transportation systems in order to reduce vehicle emissions, congestion in cities and the health problems caused by polluted air and smog
- the growing scarcity of water
An important achievement was an agreement on the Climate Change Convention which in turn led to the Kyoto Protocol. Another agreement was to "not carry out any activities on the lands of indigenous peoples that would cause environmental degradation or that would be culturally inappropriate".
The Convention on Biological Diversity was opened for signature at the Earth Summit, and made a start towards redefinition of measures that did not inherently encourage destruction of natural ecoregions and so-called uneconomic growth.
Twelve cities were also honoured by the Local Government Honours Award for innovative local environmental programs. These included Sudbury in Canada for its ambitious program to rehabilitate environmental damage from the local mining industry, Austin in the United States for its green building strategy, and Kitakyūshū in Japan for incorporating an international education and training component into its municipal pollution control program.
The Earth Summit resulted in the following documents:
Moreover, two important legally binding agreements were opened for signature:
The Green Cross International was founded to build upon the work of the Summit.
- Ecology summit
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (www.iisd.org)
- Precautionary principle
- The Environmental Institute
- United Nations Conference on the Human Environment 1972
- Earth Summit 2002 "Rio+10" held in Johannesburg
- United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development also known as Rio 2012 or Rio+20, hosted by Brazil in Rio de Janeiro, as a 20-year follow-up to the historic 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED).
- Global Map
- Documents from the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (also known as UNCED or the Earth Summit) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1992
- video: George Hunt reviews UNCED 1992
- video: Severn Suzuki, 13 years old, speaks for Environmental Children Organization UNCED 1992
- Address at Rio Earth Summit, Dalaï Lama
- Agenda 21 at Spencer Hofmans' Center for a World in Balance
- A critical New Internationalist keynote about the 1992 Rio Earth Summit
Sustainability Philosophy and
Population Consumption Technology Resource use and conservation Food Water Energy Materials Biodiversity Sustainability disciplines and activities Disciplines Sustainable
Management Environmental International reports and agreementsUN Conference on the Human Environment (Stockholm 1972) · Brundtlandt Commission Report, 1983 (Our Common Future, 1987) · Earth Summit (1992) · Agenda 21 (1992) · Convention on Biological Diversity (1992) · ICPD Programme of Action (1994) · Earth Charter · Lisbon Principles · Millennium Declaration (2000) · Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Lists and glossaries Lists Glossaries
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Earth Summit — Earth Sum|mit a large international meeting held in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil in 1992, at which the leaders of the countries of the United Nations discussed ways of protecting the environment and preserving the Earth s ↑biodiversity (=all the… … Dictionary of contemporary English
Earth Summit — officially United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. Conference held in Rio de Janeiro (June 3–14, 1992) to reconcile worldwide economic development with environmental protection. It was the largest gathering of world leaders in… … Universalium
Earth Summit — noun The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 … Wiktionary
Earth Summit — /ɜθ ˈsʌmət/ (say erth sumuht) noun one of a series of United Nations conferences on world environmental policy issues, the first being held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992. Official name, United Nations Conference on Environment and… … Australian English dictionary
Earth Summit (horse) — Thoroughbred racehorse infobox horsename = Earth Summit caption = sire = Celtic Cone grandsire = Celtic Ash dam = Win Green Hill damsire = National Trust (horse) sex = Gelding foaled = 1988 country = Great Britain flagicon|UK colour = Bay breeder … Wikipedia
Earth Summit 2002 — The World Summit on Sustainable Development, WSSD or Earth Summit 2002 took place in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 26 August to 4 September 2002. It was convened to discuss sustainable development by the United Nations. WSSD gathered a number… … Wikipedia
Earth Summit (disambiguation) — The Earth Summit was a major United Nations conference held in Rio de Janeiro from June 3 to June 14, 1992.Earth Summit may also refer to:* Earth Summit (horse), a National Hunt racehorse * Earth Summit 2002, a United Nations conference held in… … Wikipedia
Earth Summit (1992) — The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, also known as the Rio Summit, Earth Summit (or, in Portuguese, Eco 92) was a major United Nations conference held in Rio de Janeiro from June 3 to June 14, 1992. Overview 172… … Wikipedia
Earth Day — is one of two observances, both held annually during spring in the northern hemisphere, and autumn in the southern hemisphere. These are intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth s environment. The United Nations celebrates… … Wikipedia
Summit Rock — (littéralement le Rocher du Sommet ) est un rocher qui a pour caractéristique d être le point le plus élevé de Central Park, à Manhattan, New York, États Unis. Situé dans l ouest du parc, à hauteur de la modifier] Histoire Le rocher s élève au… … Wikipédia en Français