- Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps
Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps
Formation: 2 October 1992 Country United Kingdom
and 16 other nations
Armed Force Her Majesty's Armed Forces
and 16 others
Service British Army
and 16 others
Type High Readiness Force (Land) HQ
NATO Response Force (temporary)
Strength ~ 400 (permanent) Higher formation SHAPE Headquarters location Imjin Barracks, Innsworth Motto Audentis fortuna iuvat
Fortune favours the brave
Commander Commander (COMARRC) Lieutenant General James Bucknall Deputy Commander (DCOMARRC) Major General Riccardo Marchiò Chief of Staff (COSARRC) Major General Tim Evans
The Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps, (HQ ARRC or ARRC) is a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation High Readiness Force (Land) Headquarters ready for deployment worldwide within five to thirty days.
HQ ARRC was created on 2 October 1992 in Bielefeld based on the former British I Corps (or I (BR) Corps). It was originally created as the rapid reaction corps sized land force of the Reaction Forces Concept that emerged after the end of the Cold War, with a mission to redeploy and reinforce within Allied Command Europe (ACE) and to conduct Petersberg missions out of NATO territory.
Since 2002 however the HQ has been re-roled (with five other corps HQs of other NATO nations) as a High Readiness Force (Land) HQ (HRF(L)) with a broader mission. The formation HQ is under Operational Command of Supreme Allied Commander, Europe (SACEUR). The ARRC has a notional Force Pool of Combat, Combat Support and Combat Service Support units with which to train and execute its mission. However in reality COMARRC commands no forces until he receives an Activation Order from SACEUR. On receipt of ACTORD, forces from troop contributing nations, generated through the NATO Force Generation process are passed into his Operational Command for the duration of the operational deployment.
Although the corps is commanded by a British Army lieutenant-general, the corps is no longer a purely British formation HQ. The UK is the 'framework nation' and provides about 80% of the funding and 60% of the staff for the HQ, which, from 1994 to 2010, was based in the Rheindahlen Military Complex, Germany. The remaining 40% of the staff are made up of a further 14 Partner Nations.
ARRC took command of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan on 4 May 2006. Previously, it was deployed as the headquarters commanding Land Forces during the Kosovo War in 1999 and, prior to that, commanded the Land Forces of NATO's first ever deployment as part of the IFOR operation in Bosnia in 1995/6.
The first commander, appointed in 1992 was General Sir Jeremy Mackenzie.
Recent commanders have included:
- 1992-1994 Lieutenant General Jeremy Mackenzie
- 1994-1997 Lieutenant General Michael Walker
- 1997-2000 Lieutenant General Mike Jackson
- 2000-2002 Lieutenant General Christopher Drewry
- 2002-2005 Lieutenant General Richard Dannatt
- 2005-2007 Lieutenant General David Richards
- 2007-2011 Lieutenant General Richard Shirreff
- 2011-Present Lieutenant General James Bucknall
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Allied Rapid Reaction Corps — Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps Verbandsabzeichen Aufstellung 2. Oktober 1992 Land … Deutsch Wikipedia
Headquarters Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps — The Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps, (HQ ARRC or ARRC) was created in 1992 in Bielefeld based on the former British I Corps (or I (BR) Corps ). It was originally created as the rapid reaction corps sized land force of the Reaction Forces … Wikipedia
Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) — Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps Verbandsabzeichen Aufstellung 2. Oktober 1992 Land … Deutsch Wikipedia
Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps — Verbandsabzeichen Aufstellung 2. Oktober 1992 Land … Deutsch Wikipedia
Headquarters Rapid Reaction Corps — HQ RRC Fr Active Country France Type Headquarters … Wikipedia
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe — SHAPE Emblem. Active 1951 present Country … Wikipedia
Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe — (SHAPE) Aktiv 1951–1967 seit 1967 Typ NATO Hauptquartier Unterstellte Truppenteile … Deutsch Wikipedia
Allied Joint Force Command Naples — Joint Force Command Naples Active 15 March 2004 – present AFSOUTH/RHQ AFSOUTH 1951 2004 Part of Allied Co … Wikipedia
Allied Command Operations — Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) Wappen Aktiv 1951 1967 1967 heute Typ … Deutsch Wikipedia
Corps — This article is about a military unit. For alternative meanings, see Corps (disambiguation). v … Wikipedia