- University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Development Communication
University of the Philippines Los Baños
College of Development Communication
Dalubhasaan ng Komunikasyong Pangkaunlaran Established 1954 (Office)
Chancellor Luis Rey I. Velasco Dean Cleofe S. Torres Location Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines Colors Red Website www.devcom.edu.ph
The College of Development Communication (CDC) is the ninth college established under the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). It is recognized worldwide as a pioneer  of Development Communication as an academic field. It offered the Philippines' first communication course in 1960, as a major under the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture curriculum. In 1974, it became the first to offer academic degree programs in development communication. To date, it is the only academic institution in the world  offering degree programs in Development Communication at the Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degree levels. In 1999, the College was named as one of two national centers of excellence in communication by the Philippines' Commission on Higher Education CHED. The College (through DZLB) was awarded a KBP Golden Dove Award for best AM station in 1994 and a Catholic Mass Media Award for Best Educational Radio Program in 2010.
The CDC currently offers four degree programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Development Communication (BSDC);
- Master of Professional Studies (MPS) (distance mode under the UP Open University);
- Master of Science (MS); and
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
It also conducts regular training workshops in coordination with various international and government agencies, and non-government organizations.
The CDC is currently organized into four departments:
The Department of Development Broadcasting and Telecommunication (DDBT); The Department of Development Journalism (DDJ); The Department of Educational Communication (DEC); and The Department of Science Communication (DSC).
Each department represents a field of specialization the undergraduate student can focus on. Graduate students, on the other hand, have the option of choosing a more generalist curriculum.
In 1954 the UP College of Agriculture (UPCA) started put up the Office of Extension and Publications (CA-OEP). Among its recruits was Nora C. Quebral, who would later pioneer the academic field.
In 1962, the CA-OEP was elevated into the Department of Agricultural Information and Communication (DAIC), which offered the first communication course in the country in 1960, under the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture curriculum. The department was renamed the Department of Agricultural Communication in 1968.
In 1974, the world's first degree programs in development communication was offered by what was renamed the Department of Development Communication. It was again renamed when it was elevated into an institute (Institute of Development Communication) in 1987. It was elevated into a full college of UPLB on 18 December 1998.
Location and Facilities
The CDC is located at the University of the Philippines Los Baños campus in College, Laguna, Philippines. The UPLB campus is about 63 km southeast of Metro Manila. It is at the foot of the legendary Mt. Makiling, which hosts one of the few remaining rain forests in Luzon. It is also situated near international and regional research centers and science and technology parks.
The College's building is within UPLB's administration circle and is among the first buildings one sees when entering UPLB's main gate. It is adjacent to Carabao Park, which is UPLB's alumni plaza, and is right across the University's main administration building.
The CDC's facilities include experimental radio station DZLB AM, which broadcasts at 1116 kHz and serves as a developmental community radio station for Laguna, and its sister station DZLB FM, which broadcasts at 97.4 mHz and serves as the campus radio station. Photography students are allowed to use the college's two darkrooms, and two computer laboratories are intended for students studying instructional materials production and Information and Communication Technologies, respectively.
The CDC's reading room's collection of reading materials is specifically geared towards the use of communication to promote social development.
The college is host to a number of student organizations, namely:
- The UP Alliance of Development Communication Students (ADS) - an "academic-civic organization founded on August 20, 1997," envisioning "an organization where Devcom students can be mobilizers of change while maintaining academic excellence and fostering camaraderie among members."
- The UP Community Broadcasters' Society (CBS) - a media-based socio-civic organization established on November 11, 2004 intended "to promote fellowship and camaraderie among Community Broadcasters united towards academic excellence, informative, entertaining and educational broadcasting and community service."
- The UPLB Development Communicators' Society (UPLB DevComSoc or DCS) - an "academic organization emphasizing the role of communication in promoting social change". Founded in 1972, UPLB DCS "advocates the study of development communication from which the Society has been founded."
- The Graduate Students Association of DevCom (GradSADevCom) - an academic organization among graduate students studying at the college.
- ^ "Cleofe S. Torres". University of the Philippines Los Baños — College of Development Communication. http://www.devcom.edu.ph/site/directory?id/50183202. Retrieved 2010-10-27.
- ^ College of Development Communication Profile from the UPLB Website http://www.uplb.edu.ph/cdc
- ^ a b c d e College of Development Communication Profile from the CDC Website http://www.devcom.edu.ph/ver1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26
- ^ "The Envelope: CMMA 2010 Winners". Inquirer.net. http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20101017-298237/The-Envelope-CMMA-2010-winners. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- ^ Cadiz, Maria Celeste H. Nora Cruz Quebral: writer and thinker par excellence in Glocal Times web magazine http://webzone.k3.mah.se/projects/gt2/viewarticle.aspx?articleID=47&issueID=5
- Cadiz, Maria Celeste H. CFSC Pioneer: A Conversation With Nora Quebral http://www.communicationforsocialchange.org/mazi-articles.php?id=294
- Brief reference from the FAO. http://www.fao.org/world/regional/rap/susdev_exten_comm_links.asp
- Adaptive Learning Linkages in Community Based Natural Resources Management (ALLinCBNRM) workshop website http://www.allincbnrm.org
- Asian Institute of Journalism and Communication (AIJC) Media Timeline http://www.aijc.com.ph/PCCF/mediamuseum/timeline/timeline-post-war.htm
University of the Philippines Los Baños Academics Campus ResearchASEAN Center for Biodiversity • Institute of Plant Breeding • International Rice Research Institute • Limnological Research Station • National Crop Protection Center • National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology • Philippine Carabao Center • Philippine Rice Research Institute • Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture Life University of the Philippines UnitsAutonomous College
UP Cebu CollegeSatellite Units
Extension Program in Pampanga (Diliman) • Extension Program in Olongapo (Diliman) • School of Health Sciences, Leyte (Manila) • School of Health Sciences, Aurora (Manila) • Tacloban College (Visayas) • School of Health Sciences, Koronadal City (Manila)Basic Education Units
Crop Protection (NCPC) • Geological Sciences (NIGS) • Health (NIH) • Physics (NIP) • Science and Mathematics Education Development (NISMED) • Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB)International (Hosted)
SEAMEO-INNOTECH • SEAMEO-SEARCA • SEAMEO-TROPMED • IRRI • ACB
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Human Ecology — College of Human Ecology at University of the Philippines Los Baños Established 1974 Dean Sue Liza C. Saguiguit Location Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines Website … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Engineering and Agro-Industrial Technology — Established 1912 (department) 1983 (college) Type Constituent college … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Forestry and Natural Resources — University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Forestry and Natural Resources … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Los Baños College of Arts and Sciences — College of Arts and Sciences at University of the Philippines Los Baños Established 1972 Type State, Non sectarian Dean Asuncion Raymundo … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines, Los Baños — Infobox University name = native name = Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Los Baños motto = Honor and Excellence established = June 18, 1908 (system) March 6, 1909 (campus) type = National university president = Emerlinda R. Roman chancellor = Luis Rey I … Wikipedia
Campus of University of the Philippines Los Baños — Alumni Plaza was the college entrance until 1967. Sculpted by … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines — Infobox University name = |native name = Unibersidad ng Pilipinas | |motto = Honor and Excellence |established = June 18, 1908 |type = National University |president = Dr. Emerlinda R. Román |campus = 11 Campuses, 1 Open University city = Diliman … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines, Baguio — Infobox University name = native name = Unibersidad ng Pilipinas, Baguio | motto = Honor and Excellence established = 1961 type = National University president = Dr. Emerlinda P. Roman chancellor = Dr. Priscilla Supnet Macansantos city = Baguio… … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Open University — Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Bukás na Unibersidad Motto Honor and Excellence … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Diliman — Not to be confused with University of the Philippines. University of the Philippines Diliman Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Diliman Official seal M … Wikipedia