- Coco and Igor
Coco and Igor
Cover of paperback edition
Author(s) Chris Greenhalgh Country United Kingdom Language English Genre(s) Fiction Publisher Headline Review Publication date 1 July 2002 Media type Print (Hardcover) Pages 311pp (first edition, HB) ISBN ISBN 0-7553-0086-6 (first edition, HB) OCLC Number 49394049
Coco and Igor is a 2002 novel by Chris Greenhalgh.
Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring has its Paris premiere on 29 May 1913. Coco is mesmerized by the power of Igor’s composition, but the audience is scandalized by its discordant, rhythmic music and Nijinsky's primitive choreography.
Coco finally meets Igor seven years later, at a dinner hosted by Sergei Diaghilev, impresario of the Ballets Russes. Igor has been forced to flee Russia – with his wife and four children – following the Russian Revolution. Coco invites him to bring his family to stay with her at her villa in Garches – 'Bel Respiro'.
Couturière and composer soon begin an affair. Both experience a surge of creativity; while Coco creates Chanel No. 5 (with perfumer Ernest Beaux), Igor’s compositions display a new, liberated style. But Igor’s wife, Katerina, becomes ill with consumption and an unbearable tension takes hold of 'Bel Respiro' and its occupants.
The piano keyboard operates as a framework for the novel. There are eighty-eight chapters, corresponding to the number of keys on a piano.
- Coco and Igor, Review at Vogue (11 June 2002)
- "Eau de rancour" by Peter Conrad, The Observer (30 June 2002)
- "Books: Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" by Stephanie Green, The Washington Post (6 December 2009)
Greenhalgh adapted his novel for the 2009 film Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky, directed by Jan Kounen and starring Anna Mouglalis and Mads Mikkelsen. The film was selected to occupy the prestigious closing slot at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival on 24 May 2009.
- UK hardback: Headline Review, 1 July 2002 (ISBN 0-7553-0086-6)
- UK paperback: Headline Review, 7 July 2003 (ISBN 978-0755300877)
- US trade paperback: Riverhead Books (an imprint of Penguin USA), 1 December 2009 (ISBN 978-1594484551)
Coco and Igor has been translated into several languages, including:
- French: 'Coco et Igor' – Calmann-Levy, 8 April 2009, translated by Elsa Maggion (ISBN 978-2702139813)
- Russian: 'Villa Bel Respiro' – Symposium, 1 June 2009 (ISBN 978-8-87-4966851)
- Polish: 'Coco i Igor' – Wydawnictwo Amber, 2002, translated by Barbara Przbylowska (ISBN 83-241-0170-5)
- Greek: 'Coco and Igor' – Empeiria, November 2003, translated by Persa Koumoutsi (ISBN 960-417-044-9)
- Chinese: 'Coco and Igor' – Sun Color Culture Publishing Co. Ltd, October 2009 (ISBN 978-9862291764)
- ^ Cole, Olivia (24 April 2009). "Teacher writes finale to Cannes in school hols". Evening Standard. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23680620-details/Teacher+writes+finale+to+Cannes+in+school+hols/article.do.
- ^ "Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky". festival-cannes.com. http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/ficheFilm/id/10904957/year/2009.html. Retrieved 15 May 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Coco and Igor (novela) — Coco and Igor Autor Chris Greenhalgh Género Ficción … Wikipedia Español
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky — Directed by Jan Kounen Produced by Chris Bolzli Claudie Ossard V … Wikipedia
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky — es una película francesa de 2009 dirigida por Jan Kounen. Fue escogida como película de cierre del Festival de Cannes de 2009, exhibiéndose el 24 de mayo de 2009.  Coco Chanel Igor Stravinsky se basa en la novela Coco Igor de Chris… … Wikipedia Español
Coco Chanel — Existen desacuerdos sobre la neutralidad en el punto de vista de la versión actual de este artículo o sección. En la página de discusión puedes consultar el debate al respecto. Coco Chanel … Wikipedia Español
Coco Chanel — Coco Chanel, 1920 Born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel 19 August 1883(1883 08 19) Saumur, France Died 10 January 1971(1971 01 10 … Wikipedia
Coco Chanel — und Hugh Grosvenor, 2. Duke of Westminster, Fotografie um 1924–1930 Coco Chanel, eigentlich Gabrielle Bonheur Chasnel, (* 19. August 1883 in Saumur, Pays de la Loire; † 10. Januar 1971 in Pari … Deutsch Wikipedia
Coco Before Chanel — French theatrical release poster Directed by Anne Fontaine Produced by Caroline Benjo … Wikipedia
Igor Stravinsky — Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky ( ru. Игорь Фёдорович Стравинский, transl|ru| Igor Fjodorovič Stravinskij ) (OldStyleDate|17 June|1882|5 June ndash; 6 April 1971) was a Russian born composer, considered by many to be the most influential composer of… … Wikipedia
Coco Mademoiselle — Fragrance by Jacques Polge Released 2001 Label Chanel … Wikipedia
Coco Chanel (film) — For other films about Coco Chanel, see Coco Before Chanel and Coco Chanel Igor Stravinsky. Coco Chanel Directed by Christian Duguay … Wikipedia