- Club deal
A club deal, in finance, refers to a leveraged buyout or other private equity investment that involves several different private equity investment firms. Club deal can also be referred as syndicated investment.
In a club deal, the investor group of private equity firms pools its assets together and makes the acquisition collectively. The practice has historically allowed private equity to purchase larger and more expensive companies than each constituent firm could potentially acquire through its own private equity funds. Additionally, by syndicating the equity ownership across a group of investment firms, each firm reduces its concentration and is able to maintain the diversification of its portfolio of investments.
Institutional investors that invest as limited partners in private equity funds often criticize the practice of club deals that result in holdings in the same investment through different funds. Large limited partners have often preferred to support large leveraged buyouts through equity co-investments alongside the leading financial sponsor.
Among the most notable of the large club deals completed were the following:
- ^ Limited partnership co-investment or GP club deals?. Real Deals, 2007
- ^ SUZANNE KAPNER AND ANDREW ROSS SORKIN. "Market Place; Vivendi Is Said To Be Near Sale Of Houghton." New York Times, October 31, 2002
- ^ "COMPANY NEWS; VIVENDI FINISHES SALE OF HOUGHTON MIFFLIN TO INVESTORS." New York Times, January 1, 2003.
- ^ "Capital Firms Agree to Buy SunGard Data in Cash Deal." Bloomberg L.P., March 29, 2005
- ^ SORKIN, ANDREW ROSS and FLYNN, LAURIE J. "Blackstone Alliance to Buy Chip Maker for $17.6 Billion." New York Times, September 16, 2006
- ^ SORKIN, ANDREW ROSS. "HCA Buyout Highlights Era of Going Private." New York Times, July 25, 2006.
- ^ MOUAWAD, JAD. "Kinder Morgan Agrees to an Improved Buyout Offer Led by Its Chairman." New York Times, August 29, 2006.
- ^ BLOOMBERG NEWS (2006-08-04). "TECHNOLOGY; Royal Philips Sells Unit for $4.4 Billion". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/04/business/worldbusiness/04chip.html. Retrieved 2008-04-27.
- ^ de la MERCED, MICHAEL J. "Biomet Accepts Sweetened Takeover Offer." New York Times, June 8, 2007.
- ^ Lonkevich, Dan and Klump, Edward. KKR, Texas Pacific Will Acquire TXU for $45 Billion Bloomberg, February 26, 2007.
- The decline of the club deal. The Deal, 2007
- Selling to the club:How a seller should negotiate a club deal. International Financial Law Review, 2007
- Do Too Many Cooks Spoil the Takeover Deal?. New York Times, 2005
- Goodbye to All That. New York Times, 2004
- Measuring the Club-Deal Discount. New York Times, 2008
- Private Equity Firms Working Together. Global Finance, 2005
Topics on private equity and venture capital Basic investment types History Terms and conceptsStructure Investors Related financial termsPrivate equity and venture capital investors • Private equity firms • Venture capital firms • Angel investors • Portfolio companies
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
club deal — USA A group of private equity funds which join together to make a larger investment. Club deals are often seen in the large auctions of public companies and going private transactions. Practical Law Dictionary. Glossary of UK, US and… … Law dictionary
Club Deal — A private equity buyout or the assumption of a controlling interest in a company that involves several different private equity firms. This group of firms pools its assets together and makes the acquisition collectively. The practice has… … Investment dictionary
club deal — See: syndicated bank facility … Accounting dictionary
club deal — See syndicated bank facility … Big dictionary of business and management
Deal Town F.C. — Deal Town Full name Deal Town Football Club Nickname(s) The Fivers or Dealers Founded 1908 (as Deal Cinque Ports) … Wikipedia
Deal or No Deal (U.S. syndicated game show) — Logo Format Game show Created by John de Mol … Wikipedia
Club 18-30 — Type Private Industry Package holidays Founded 1970 Headquarters Bradford, England, UK Area served United Kingdom, Spa … Wikipedia
Deal's Gone Bad — Origin Chicago, Illinois Genres Reggae, Ska, Soul Years active 1994–present Labels Jump Up!, Megalith … Wikipedia
Club 21 — Pte Ltd Type Private Industry Fashion retailing Founded 1972 Founder(s) Mrs … Wikipedia
Club cricket — is a mainly amateur, but still formal, form of the sport of cricket, usually involving teams playing in competitions at weekends or in the evening. There is a great deal of variation in game format although the Laws of Cricket are always observed … Wikipedia