- Clint Eastwood filmography
This article is part of a series on
Background · 1960s · 1970s · 1980s · 1990s · 2000s · Politics · Personal life · Awards and honors · Filmography · Discography · Malpaso Productions
Clint Eastwood is an American film actor, director, producer, and composer. After beginning his acting career primarily with small uncredited film roles and television appearances, his career has spanned more than 50 years. Eastwood has acted in several television series, most notably starring in Rawhide. His role in the eight-season series led to his leading roles in A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Eastwood has appeared in over 55 films, including Hang 'Em High, Escape from Alcatraz, The Bridges of Madison County, and Gran Torino. Eastwood started directing in 1971, and in 1982, his debut as a producer began with two films, Firefox and Honkytonk Man. Eastwood also has contributed music to his films, either through performing, writing, or composing. He has mainly starred in western, action, comedy, and drama films.
Eastwood has been a primary character in two film franchises: as the Man with No Name in the Dollars Trilogy and as Harry Callahan in the Dirty Harry series. Other notable roles include The Stranger in High Plains Drifter, Philo Beddoe in Every Which Way but Loose and its sequel Any Which Way You Can, Preacher in Pale Rider, William Munny in Unforgiven, and Frankie Dunn in Million Dollar Baby.
Eastwood has received multiple awards and nominations for his work in the films Unforgiven, Mystic River, and Million Dollar Baby, among others. These awards include Academy Awards, Directors Guild of America Awards, Golden Globe Awards, and People's Choice Awards. According to Box Office Mojo, a box office-revenue tracking website, films that Eastwood has acted in have grossed a total of more than $1.67 billion domestically, with an average of $37 million per film. Eastwood's latest project, the film J. Edgar, received theatrical release on November 9, 2011.
Year Film Functioned as Notes Director Producer Music Actor Role 1955 Revenge of the Creature Yes Lab Technician Uncredited Francis in the Navy Yes Jonesy Lady Godiva of Coventry Yes First Saxon Uncredited Tarantula Yes Jet Squadron Leader Uncredited 1956 Never Say Goodbye Yes Will Uncredited Star in the Dust Yes Tom Uncredited Away All Boats Yes Marine Uncredited The First Traveling Saleslady Yes Lt. Jack Rice, Roughrider 1957 Escapade in Japan Yes Dumbo Pilot Uncredited The Enemy Below Yes Seaman Uncredited 1958 Lafayette Escadrille Yes George Moseley Ambush at Cimarron Pass Yes Keith Williams 1964 A Fistful of Dollars Yes Joe (Man with No Name) 1965 For a Few Dollars More Yes Manco (Man with No Name) 1966 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Yes Blondie (Man with No Name) 1967 Le streghe Yes Charlie 1968 Hang 'Em High Yes Marshal Jed Cooper Coogan's Bluff Yes Deputy Sheriff Walt Coogan Where Eagles Dare Yes Lieutenant Morris Schaffer 1969 Paint Your Wagon Yes[I] Yes Sylvester 'Pardner' Newel 1970 Two Mules for Sister Sara Yes Hogan Kelly's Heroes Yes Private Kelly 1971 The Beguiled Yes Corporal John 'McBee' McBurney Play Misty for Me Yes Yes David 'Dave' Garver Dirty Harry Yes Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan 1972 Joe Kidd Yes Joe Kidd 1973 High Plains Drifter Yes Yes The Stranger Magnum Force Yes Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan Breezy Yes Yes Man in Crowd on Pier Uncredited 1974 Thunderbolt and Lightfoot Yes John 'Thunderbolt' Doherty 1975 The Eiger Sanction Yes Yes Dr. Jonathan Hemlock 1976 The Outlaw Josey Wales Yes Yes Josey Wales The Enforcer Yes Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan 1977 The Gauntlet Yes Yes Detective Ben Shockley 1978 Every Which Way but Loose Yes Philo Beddoe 1979 Escape from Alcatraz Yes Frank Morris 1980 Bronco Billy Yes Yes[I] Yes Bronco Billy McCoy Any Which Way You Can Yes[I] Yes Philo Beddoe 1982 Firefox Yes Yes Yes Mitchell Gant Honkytonk Man Yes Yes Yes[I] Yes Red Stovall 1983 Sudden Impact Yes Yes Yes Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan 1984 Tightrope Yes Yes Wes Block City Heat Yes[I] Yes Lieutenant Speer 1985 Pale Rider Yes Yes Yes Preacher 1986 Heartbreak Ridge Yes Yes Yes[II] Yes Gunnery Sergeant Thomas 'Gunny' Highway 1988 The Dead Pool Yes Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan Bird Yes Yes 1989 Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser Yes Pink Cadillac Yes Tommy Nowak 1990 White Hunter Black Heart Yes Yes Yes John Wilson The Rookie Yes Yes Nick Pulovski 1992 Unforgiven Yes Yes Yes William 'Bill' Munny 1993 In the Line of Fire Yes Secret Service Agent Frank Horrigan A Perfect World Yes Yes[III] Yes Texas Ranger Red Garnett 1995 The Bridges of Madison County Yes Yes Yes[III] Yes Robert Kincaid The Stars Fell on Henrietta Yes Casper Yes Himself Uncredited 1997 Absolute Power Yes Yes Yes[III] Yes Luther Whitney Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Yes Yes 1999 True Crime Yes Yes Yes[II] Yes Steve Everett 2000 Space Cowboys Yes Yes Yes Colonel Frank Corvin 2002 Blood Work Yes Yes Yes Terry McCaleb 2003 Mystic River Yes Yes Yes[IV] 2004 Million Dollar Baby Yes Yes Yes[IV] Yes Frankie Dunn 2006 Flags of Our Fathers Yes Yes Yes[II][IV] Letters from Iwo Jima Yes Yes 2007 Grace Is Gone Yes[II][IV] 2008 Changeling Yes Yes Yes[IV] Gran Torino Yes Yes Yes[II] Yes Walt Kowalski 2009 Invictus Yes Yes 2010 Hereafter Yes Yes Yes Dave Brubeck: In His Own Sweet Way Yes 2011 J. Edgar Yes Yes
At the early stages of his acting career, Eastwood played several small roles in episodes for several television shows. This list includes appearances in various episodes of fictional shows, and excludes appearances as himself on talk shows, interview shows, ceremonies, and other related media.
Year Title Credited as Series Episode Director Actor Role 1955 Allen in Movieland Television film Yes Orderly 1956 Highway Patrol "Motorcycle A" Yes Joe Keeley Death Valley Days Six episodes Yes John Lucas 1957 The West Point Story "White Fury" Yes 1958 Navy Log "The Lonely Watch" Yes Burns 1959 Maverick "Duel at Sundown" Yes Red Hardigan 1959–
Rawhide 217 episodes Yes Rowdy Yates 1962 Mister Ed "Clint Eastwood Meets Mister Ed" Yes Himself 1985 Amazing Stories "Vanessa in the Garden" Yes 2003 The Blues "Piano Blues" Yes 2009 Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me Yes[V] Yes Himself
^ V Executive producer
- Awards and nominations received by Clint Eastwood
- Eliot, Marc (2009). American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood. New York: Harmony Books. pp. 349–59. ISBN 978-0-307-33688-0.
- Gallafent, Edward (1994). Clint Eastwood. New York: Continuum. pp. 238–51. ISBN 0-8264-0665-3.
- Hughes, Howard (2009). Aim for the Heart. London: I.B. Tauris. pp. 215–235. ISBN 9781845119027.
- "Clint Eastwood > Filmography". Allmovie. http://www.allmovie.com/artist/clint-eastwood-88601/filmography. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- "Clint Eastwood Filmography". The New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/person/88601/Clint-Eastwood/filmography. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- "Clint Eastwood – Rotten Tomatoes Celebrity Profile". Rotten Tomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/clint_eastwood/. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- "Clint Eastwood Filmography". Tiscali. http://www.tiscali.co.uk/entertainment/film/biographies/clint_eastwood_films/2.html. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- "Clint Eastwood > Filmography". Yahoo! Movies. http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800019744/filmography. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- ^ "Success of movie cowboy Eastwood". BBC News. October 9, 2003. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5rivIqrbu. Retrieved March 16, 2009.
- ^ Sterritt, David (October 10, 2003). "Play 'Mystic' for me". The Christian Science Monitor. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5rivUDpEj. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- ^ Leung, Rebecca (February 6, 2005). "Two Sides Of Clint Eastwood". CBS News. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5rivaXs2L. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- ^ "Clint Eastwood". Box Office Mojo. http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=clinteastwood.htm. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- ^ Munn, Michael (1992). Clint Eastwood: Hollywood's Loner. London: Robson. p. 25. ISBN 9780860517900.
- ^ "Move 'Em on head 'Em up." (Registration required). Bristol Evening Post. September 12, 2006. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-17623266_ITM. Retrieved March 9, 2009.
- ^ "I Dream for a Living". Time: p. 4. July 15, 1985. Archived from the original on August 4, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5rivir6FH. Retrieved March 16, 2009.
- ^ Dunkley, Cathy (April 15, 2002). "Eastwood gets the 'Blues'" (Registration required). Variety. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-25281766_ITM. Retrieved March 16, 2009.
- ^ "Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me". Turner Classic Movies. 2009. http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=D01825&shopRef=TCMdb. Retrieved November 5, 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Clint Eastwood — For other uses, see Clint Eastwood (disambiguation). Clint Eastwood Eastwood at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival Born C … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood in the 1960s — Main article: Clint Eastwood This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood Background … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood in the 1970s — Main article: Clint Eastwood This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood Background … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood in the 1980s — This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood Background · 1960s … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood in the 1990s — Main article: Clint Eastwood This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood Background … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood in the 2000s — Main article: Clint Eastwood This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood … Wikipedia
Clint Eastwood discography — main article: Clint Eastwood This article is part of a series on Clint Eastwood Background … Wikipedia
Kyle Eastwood — (born May 19, 1968) is an American jazz musician. He studied film at the University of Southern California for two years before embarking on a music career. After becoming a session player in the early 90s and leading his own quartet, he released … Wikipedia
Mel Gibson filmography — Gibson at the 1990 Air America premiere Mel Gibson, AO is an American actor, film director, film producer and screenwriter. Born in Peekskill, New York, Gibson moved with his par … Wikipedia
Dirty Harry — This article is about the 1971 film. For other uses, see Dirty Harry (disambiguation). Dirty Harry Theatrical release poster by Bill Gold Directed by … Wikipedia