- Generally Speaking Production Network
Generally Speaking Production Network Status Active Founded December 16, 2005 Founder Cliff and Stephanie Ravenscraft Country of origin United States Headquarters location Hebron, Kentucky, USA Distribution Worldwide Publication types Podcasts Nonfiction topics Balanced living
Business & technology
Revenue US$8,000/month (June 2007) Official website gspn.tv
A fan of the television series Lost, and inspired by Leo Laporte and his this Week in Tech podcast, Cliff Ravenscraft began with a Lost-discussion podcast after only finding one other on the subject in 2005. Ravenscraft began the podcast as a hobby with no experience in broadcasting, radio, or television; in a June 2007 interview with Podcast User Magazine, Ravenscraft confessed that "he didn’t put a lot [of] preparation into the show at first, and that his audio was poor, but [...] the content was in high demand." Ravenscraft gathered thousands of listeners in only a few weeks, and quickly added his wife Stephanie to the podcast.
Soon thereafter, they launched a second Lost podcast, followed by podcasts discussing faith and family issues, and one about Cliff's life (originally titled My Crazy Life). In December 2008, Cliff Ravenscraft had worked in the insurance industry for eleven years when he left his $87,000 per-year job at Jack Lillie Insurance (his stepfather's firm) to begin podcasting full-time. Though Cliff had to withdraw $14,000 from his IRA in 2008, he claims that since October 2009 GSPN was producing "more money every month that [he's] ever made in [his] life."
Cliff Ravenscraft (born c. 1972/1973) grew up in Erlanger, Kentucky and graduated Conner High School in 1992. In 2001, Ravenscraft was an associate pastor of a Highland Heights, Kentucky church for which he blogged about his faith in his "Almost Daily Devotional". Building upon a childhood interest in CB radio, and after he began the Weekly LOST Podcast, Ravenscraft switched from blogging to podcasting for the ease he found in the latter.
Cliff and his wife Stephanie have three children, Meagan, Matthew, and McKenna. The elder two Ravenscraft children have produced their own GSPN podcasts, The World According To Meagan and Gaming With Matt respectively.
GSPN only advertises on two of its podcasts, and has very strict requirements as to where and how advertisements will be implemented. In addition, GSPN offers a subscription service for US$10 a month which strips ads for subscribers, and gives them access to additional podcast material and a daily blog; GSPN had more than 80 listeners subscribe to the service in its first two weeks. As of July 2010[update], GSPN currently lists 24 separate podcasts, divided by subject matter:
- Balanced Living podcasts
- About the Church, Almost Daily Devotional, Biggest Loser, Family From the Heart, Full Time Mom, Pursuing A Balanced Life (previously My Crazy life), and Watermark Church
- Business & Technology podcasts
- Business Tech Weekly, Facebook 101, Help I Got a Mac, Podcast Answer Man, Social Media Serenity, and Virtual Assistant Podcast
- Entertainment podcasts
- Desperate Housewives, Doctor Who, Gaming With Matt, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, Musically Challenged, Private Practice, The World According To Meagan, TV Talk, Twilight Saga Podcast, and Weekly LOST Podcast
Weekly LOST Podcast
Cliff Ravenscraft began GSPN and his podcasting career with his Lost podcast, and it "changed his life". Stephanie Ravenscraft introduced her skeptical husband to the series and, after watching the first season finale in May 2005, he was hooked. Seven months later, Cliff recorded the first episode of the Weekly LOST Podcast for 30 minutes, the first official GSPN production.
As of July 2010[update], there are 261 episodes of the Weekly LOST Podcast which, produced in Hebron, Kentucky, has fans in France, England, Belgium, Qatar, Austria, and Australia among its over 50,000 subscribers. On May 23, 2010, GSPN hosted an internationally-attended party to watch the series finale of Lost; guests from Belgium, the Netherlands, and from California to Connecticut reserved the entirety of the restaurant Bistro 737 at the Cincinnati Airport Hilton Hotel in Florence, Kentucky.
- GSPN produced a podcast dedicated to the TV series Drive, but stopped after the show was canceled in April 2007.
In addition to producing and publishing their podcasts, the Ravenscrafts offer consulting for others interested in beginning podcasting, as well as setting up a website and all the amenities necessary to begin podcasting. In 2008, GSPN submitted an application to Apple's App Store, but despite having similar functionality to other approved applications, was rejected; the application was later accepted.
- List of podcasting companies
- ^ a b Juliano, Mark (June 2007). "Podcaster Profile: Cliff Ravenscraft: Generally Speaking Podcast Network". Podcast User Magazine (17). "What do an insurance agent, a pastor, a father and family man and a podcaster have in common? No, this isn't some barroom joke, but it does describe podcasting zealot Cliff Ravenscraft."
- ^ Ravenscraft, Cliff and Stephanie. "Generally Speaking Production Network (gspn.tv) What is gspn.tv?". Hebron, Kentucky, USA: Ravenscraft Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Generally Speaking Production Network. http://gspn.tv/about/. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ a b c d Barlas, Pete (2008-06-20). "Former Insurance Salesman Turns 'Lost' Obsession Into Online Career". Investor's Business Daily (Los Angeles County, California: William O'Neil + Co. Incorporated). http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=463868. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Kiesewetter, John (2010-05-23). "Finding a career in Lost". The Cincinnati Enquirer (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA: Margaret Buchanan): pp. D1/D4.
- ^ Ravenscraft, Cliff and Stephanie. "Generally Speaking Production Network (gspn.tv) The World According To Meagan". Hebron, Kentucky, USA: Ravenscraft Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Generally Speaking Production Network. http://gspn.tv/category/entertainment/hannah-montana/. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ Ravenscraft, Cliff and Stephanie. "Generally Speaking Production Network (gspn.tv) Gaming With Matt". Hebron, Kentucky, USA: Ravenscraft Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Generally Speaking Production Network. http://gspn.tv/category/entertainment/gaming-with-matt/. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ Ravenscraft, Cliff and Stephanie. "Generally Speaking Production Network (gspn.tv) Subscribe". Hebron, Kentucky, USA: Ravenscraft Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Generally Speaking Production Network. http://gspn.tv/subscribe/. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ "HOOKED!" (in British English). On (London, England, UK: BT Vision) (five): 12. July/August 2008.
- ^ a b c Lang, Derrik (2010-05-14). "'Lost' fans plan series finale parties". Bloomberg Businessweek (New York City, USA: Bloomberg L.P.). ISSN 0007-7135. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9FMKRLO0.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ Cliff Ravenscraft. 001 LostCast 12-16-2005 – 413-521-0958 http://gspn.tv/category/entertainment/weeklylostpodcast/. Generally Speaking Production Network. (2005-12-16). Podcast accessed on 2010-07-10.
- ^ Ravenscraft, Cliff and Stephanie. "Generally Speaking Production Network (gspn.tv) Weekly LOST Podcast". Hebron, Kentucky, USA: Ravenscraft Enterprises, LLC d/b/a Generally Speaking Production Network. http://gspn.tv/category/entertainment/weeklylostpodcast/. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ "'Lost' fans plan series finale parties". Associated Press. Youngstown, Ohio: WFMJ-TV. http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=12477706. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- ^ Cliff and Stephanie Ravenscraft. 001 Doctor Who – Season 3 Episode 01 Smith and Jones http://gspn.tv/category/entertainment/drwho/. Generally Speaking Production Network. (2008-01-08). Podcast accessed on 2010-04-10.
- ^ Schneider, Michael (2007-04-25). "'Drive' runs out of gas". Variety. Los Angeles, California, USA: Reed Business Information. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963779.html?categoryid=14&cs=1. Retrieved 2010-04-10. "Fox parks drama after four episodes"
- ^ Needle, David (2008-09-19). "iPhone Apps Policy Stirs Discontent". InternetNews.com (WebMediaBrands). http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3772636. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- ^ "gspn.tv for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store" (itms). Apple Inc.. 2008-11-10. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gspn-tv/id288869437?mt=8. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Blue Network — NBC Blue Network/ Blue Network Type Radio … Wikipedia
NBC Red Network — NBC Red Network/ NBC Radio Network Type Radio Network Country … Wikipedia
Eternal Word Television Network — Infobox TV channel name = EWTN logofile = EWTN logo.svg logoalt = Eternal Word Television Network logo logosize = 200px launch = 1981 picture format = 480i (SDTV) headquarters = Irondale, Alabama, United States web = [http://www.ewtn.com… … Wikipedia
God is still speaking, — also known as The Stillspeaking Initiative , is the name of the identity, branding, and advertising campaign of the United Church of Christ that was launched in 2004.The Initiative was originally promulgated by the national office s Stillspeakin … Wikipedia
Semantic memory — refers to the memory of meanings, understandings, and other concept based knowledge unrelated to specific experiences. The conscious recollection of factual information and general knowledge about the world,cite web… … Wikipedia
china — /chuy neuh/, n. 1. a translucent ceramic material, biscuit fired at a high temperature, its glaze fired at a low temperature. 2. any porcelain ware. 3. plates, cups, saucers, etc., collectively. 4. figurines made of porcelain or ceramic material … Universalium
China — /chuy neuh/, n. 1. People s Republic of, a country in E Asia. 1,221,591,778; 3,691,502 sq. mi. (9,560,990 sq. km). Cap.: Beijing. 2. Republic of. Also called Nationalist China. a republic consisting mainly of the island of Taiwan off the SE coast … Universalium
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
United States — a republic in the N Western Hemisphere comprising 48 conterminous states, the District of Columbia, and Alaska in North America, and Hawaii in the N Pacific. 267,954,767; conterminous United States, 3,022,387 sq. mi. (7,827,982 sq. km); with… … Universalium