Clausnitz


Clausnitz
Clausnitz
Subdivision of Rechenberg-Bienenmühle
Clausnitz is located in Germany
{{{alt}}}
Clausnitz
Coordinates 50°44′23″N 13°29′32″E / 50.73972°N 13.49222°E / 50.73972; 13.49222Coordinates: 50°44′23″N 13°29′32″E / 50.73972°N 13.49222°E / 50.73972; 13.49222
Administration
Country Germany
State Saxony
District Mittelsachsen
Municipality Rechenberg-Bienenmühle
Population {{{Einwohner or  population}}}
Other information
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal code 09326
Area code 037327
Clausnitz around 1910

Clausnitz is a village in the municipality of Rechenberg-Bienenmühle in the Saxon district of Mittelsachsen. It lies in the Eastern Ore Mountains, in the valley of the Rachel, a tributary of the Freiberger Mulde. Clausnitz emerged during the clearings of the 12th century. It is a typical Waldhufendorf, that has preserved its tidy, village character today with its rural two- and three-sided farmsteads and timber-framed houses.

Contents

History

Clausnitz was probably founded by Frankish settlers around 1200 in the course of the agricultural colonisation of the ancient forest that covered the entire Ore Mountains. Its settlement was carried out by the feudal lords at Purschenstein Castle. The village was first mentioned in the records in 1398, spelt as Clussenicz. The village name changed in the following centuries through Klawßnitz (1451) and Clawsenicz (1479) to Claußnitz (1641). Clausnitz developed quickly into a comparatively large farming village. By 1551 the place had 46 freeholding farmers (besessene Mann) and 172 other home owners (Inwohner), i.e. a total of about 400 inhabitants. The economic basis of the village was agriculture and, in the 15th and 16th centuries, intensive mining for silver and copper ore.

On 10 July 1563 Clausnitz's priest, Wolfgang Uhle, killed the corrupt local judge, George Bieber, in a fight. The site is commemorated by the Priest Uhle Stone (Pfarrer Uhle Stein).

Places of interest

  • Neugrabenflöße
  • St. Michael's Gallery (St. Michaelis Stolln)
  • Village church: The Clausnitz church was used in the pre-Reformation period as a pilgrimage church. The present building dates to 1696. Of note are the wooden ceiling, the altar, pulpit and font from the 17th century.

Sources

  • anonym: Gütergeschichte von Clausnitz, Kreis Brand-Erbisdorf. zusammengestellt aus den Gerichtsbüchern und Grundbüchern. ohne Orts- und Verlagsangabe, ca. 1959
  • Klaußnitz, *Claußnitz. In: August Schumann: Vollständiges Staats-, Post- und Zeitungslexikon von Sachsen. Volume 4, Zwickau 1817, p. 604.

External links