- Church of San Tirso, Oviedo
Church of Saint Thyrsus
Iglesia de San Tirso (Spanish)
Basic information Location Oviedo, Spain Geographic coordinates Coordinates: Affiliation Roman Catholic Province Asturias Ecclesiastical or organizational status Church Website Official Website Architectural description Architect(s) Tioda Architectural type Church Architectural style Pre-Romanesque, Romanesque Completed 9th century
The Church of Saint Thyrsus (Spanish: Iglesia de San Tirso or Spanish: Iglesia de San Tirso el Real de Oviedo) is a Roman Catholic Asturian Romanesque church situated in Oviedo, in Asturias, northern Spain. Dedicated to Saint Thyrsus, it was built by Tioda, the royal architect of Alfonso II of Asturias. The Great Fire of Oviedo in 1521 and rebuilding in the 18th century removed most of the original church, except for a three-light window.
The building has suffered so much from alterations over the centuries and only the general plan has been preserved. It is that of a basilica with nave and aisles divided by rude stone piers set at unequal intervals, from which round arches spring. In the easternmost bay, however, owing to the smaller span, the arch was made sufficiently pointed to raise its crown to the same height as the others. This irregularity was already typical of Imperial Roman times, when barrel vaults were given a pointed form in order to make the height of rooms of varying size uniform, as it was necessary to raise the crown of the vault in some of them. This is illustrated by various chambers in the House of Tiberius on the Palatine .
There is no satisfactory explanation of the "many angels" the building is said to have presented in the Codex Vigilianus.
In the rectangular sanctuary atriplet round-arched window (2 by 2 metres (6.6 × 6.6 ft) is preserved. With its pre-romanesque bases, rough brick arches, and capitals with rude packed leaves, it gives an idea of the better style of building and carving in the time of Alfonso II of Asturias. It is known that the church of San Tirso housed Royal Chapel .
- Redondo Cadenas, Feliciano (1974). "La iglesia de San Tirso el Real de Oviedo I: su pasado y presente" (in Spanish) ([dead link]). Boletin del Insituto de Estudios Asturianos 29 (81): 171–183. ISSN 0020-384X. http://tematico.asturias.es/cultura/ridea/ConsultaBoletines/PDFs/081-09.PDF.
- Redondo Cadenas, Feliciano (1976). "La iglesia de San Tirso el Real de Oviedo I: basílica primitiva" (in Spanish) ([dead link]). Boletin del Insituto de Estudios Asturianos 30 (88-89): 607–626. ISSN 0020-384X. http://tematico.asturias.es/cultura/ridea/ConsultaBoletines/PDFs/088-08.PDF.
- Redondo Cadenas, Feliciano (1976). "La iglesia de San Tirso el Real de Oviedo III: La torre y sus alrededores" (in Spanish) ([dead link]). Boletin del Insituto de Estudios Asturianos 31 (90-91): 343–362. ISSN 0020-384X. http://tematico.asturias.es/cultura/ridea/ConsultaBoletines/PDFs/090-12.PDF.
- Rivoira, Giovanni Teresio (1918). Moslem architecture : its origins and development. London: Oxford University Press. http://www.archive.org/details/moslemarchitectu00rivouoft
Pre-romanesque art in the Kingdom of AsturiasPre-Romanesque art in Asturias is framed between the years 711 and 925, the period of the rise and extension of the Kingdom of Asturias. Architecture1st Period (737 to 791)Santa Cruz de Cangas de Onís • Church of San Juan Apóstol y Evangelista2nd Period (791 to 842)3rd period (842 to 866)4th period (866 to 910)5th period (910 to 925) InfrastructureLa Foncalada Major figures Minor arts Spiritual legacy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Iglesia de San Tirso (Oviedo) — San Tirso el Real Tipo Iglesia Ubicación … Wikipedia Español
Church of San Pedro de Nora — Church of Saint Peter of Nora Iglesia de San Pedro de Nora (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of San Salvador de Valdediós — Church of the Holy Savior of Valdediós Iglesia de San Salvador de Valdediós (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of San Salvador de Priesca — Church of the Holy Saviour of Priesca Iglesia de San Salvador de Priesca (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of San Juan Apóstol y Evangelista, Santianes de Pravia — Church of St. John Apostle and Evangelist Iglesia de San Juan Apóstol y Evangelista(Spanish) Basic information Location Santianes de Pravia, Spain … Wikipedia
Cathedral of San Salvador, Oviedo — Cathedral of the Holy Saviour Catedral de San Salvador (Spanish) Façade of the cathedral. Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of Santa María de Bendones — Church of St Mary of Bendones Iglesia de Santa María de Bendones (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of Santiago de Gobiendes — Church of Saint James of Gobiendes Iglesia de Santiago de Gobiendes (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Church of Santo Adriano de Tuñón — Church of Saint Adrian of Tuñón Iglesia de Santo Adriano de Tuñón (Spanish) Basic information Location … Wikipedia
Oviedo — For other uses, see Oviedo (disambiguation). Oviedo Uviéu (Asturian) Municipality … Wikipedia