- The blob (Chukchi Sea algae)
The blob is a term used to refer to a large mass of algae that was first spotted floating in the Chukchi Sea between the Alaskan cities of Wainwright and Barrow in July 2009. A notable feature of the mass is its length of at least 12 miles (19 km). The algae is colored black, which is considered to be unusual. Early examiners of the algae were unable to determine its species.
- ^ Arctic Mystery: Identifying the Great Blob of Alaska, Time, July 18, 2009
- ^ Huge blob of Arctic goo floats past Slope communities, Anchorage Daily News, July 15, 2009
- ^ Black goo afloat off Alaska coast identified as algae, Detroit Free Press, July 17, 2009
- ^ Giant mysterious blob found floating off Alaska coast , The Christian Science Monitor, July 17, 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Chukchi Sea — Map of the Chukchi Sea. Scientists on the sea ice in the Chukchi Se … Wikipedia