- Christmas in the Heart
Christmas in the Heart Studio album by Bob Dylan Released October 13, 2009 Recorded 2009, Santa Monica, California, United States Genre Christmas music Length 42:21 Language English Label Columbia Producer Jack Frost (Bob Dylan's pseudonym) Bob Dylan chronology Together Through Life
Christmas in the Heart
Christmas in the Heart is Bob Dylan's 34th studio album and first Christmas album, released on October 13, 2009 on Columbia. The album comprises a collection of hymns, carols, and popular Christmas songs. All Dylan's royalties from the sale of this album will benefit the charities Feeding America in the USA, Crisis in the UK, and the World Food Programme.
Dylan said that although Jewish, he never felt left out of Christmas during his childhood in Minnesota. Regarding the popularity of Christmas music, he said, "... it's so worldwide and everybody can relate to it in their own way."
The album opened at #1 on Billboard's Holiday and Billboard's Folk Album Chart, #10 on Rock Album charts and #23 on overall album charts.
When news outlets reported about Dylan's plans to record a Christmas album, it was unexpected and unusual for Dylan.
In an interview published by Street News Service, journalist Bill Flanagan asked Dylan why he had performed the songs in a straightforward style, and Dylan responded: "There wasn’t any other way to play it. These songs are part of my life, just like folk songs. You have to play them straight too." When Flanagan reported that some critics thought the album was an ironic treatment of Christmas songs, Dylan responded: "Critics like that are on the outside looking in. They are definitely not fans or the audience that I play to. They would have no gut level understanding of me and my work, what I can and can’t do - the scope of it all. Even at this point in time they still don’t know what to make of me."
Tracks were recorded in a Santa Monica studio owned by Jackson Browne.
Release and promotion
Dylan released a music video for the song "Must Be Santa" directed by Nash Edgerton. In the video, Dylan and some other people are having a Christmas house party, until two of the guests start fighting and smashing things around and one of them running away. In the closing scene, we see Dylan and Santa Claus. A music video was also released for the song "Little Drummer Boy".
A music video ecard was also released for the song "Must Be Santa".
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  A.V. Club (B-)  The Chicago Tribune  Robert Christgau  Drowned In Sound (5/10)  The Guardian  Rolling Stone  Slant Magazine  Sputnikmusic  Uncut 
Its collective score at Metacritic stands at 62 out of 100 based on 17 reviews, indicating generally favorable reviews. The unexpected move by Dylan to record a Christmas album was received with scepticism at first. The outcome of the project was lauded by critics for bringing a fresh breath of air into these classics. Slant Magazine's critic Jesse Cataldo said "This enjoyable sense of exploration, which prizes levity in a genre that usually amounts to an artistic wasteland, is invaluable. It also proves how much life is left in the songs, and how much other artists have succeeded at butchering them." Se7en magazine's critic agreed, writing "The arrangement of his band mixes up the style of the songs, resulting in a repertoire of Christmas songs that genuinely sound like modern material, while avoiding ever being cliché."
Feeding America will receive Dylan's royalties from sales in the USA, while two further charities, the United Nations' World Food Programme and Crisis in the UK, will receive royalties from overseas sales. Dylan said: "That the problem of hunger is ultimately solvable means we must each do what we can to help feed those who are suffering and support efforts to find long-term solutions. I'm honoured to partner with the World Food Programme and Crisis in their fight against hunger and homelessness."
- "Here Comes Santa Claus" (Gene Autry, Oakley Haldeman) – 2:35
- "Do You Hear What I Hear?" (Noël Regney, Gloria Shayne Baker) – 3:02
- "Winter Wonderland" (Felix Bernard, Richard B. Smith) – 1:52
- "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" (Tune : Mendelssohn, Lyrics : Wesley, arr. Dylan) – 2:30
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (Buck Ram, Kim Gannon and Walter Kent) – 2:54
- "Little Drummer Boy" (Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati and Harry Simeone) – 2:52
- "The Christmas Blues" (Sammy Cahn, David Jack Holt) – 2:54
- "O' Come All Ye Faithful" ("Adeste Fideles") (Traditional, arr. Dylan) – 2:48
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Hugh Martin, Ralph Blane) – 4:06
- "Must Be Santa" (William Fredericks, Hal Moore) – 2:48
- "Silver Bells" (Jay Livingston, Ray Evans) – 2:35
- "The First Noel" (Traditional, arr. Dylan) – 2:30
- "Christmas Island" (Lyle Moraine) – 2:27
- "The Christmas Song" (Mel Tormé, Bob Wells) – 3:56
- "O Little Town of Bethlehem" (Traditional, arr. Dylan) – 2:17
- Bob Dylan – guitar, keyboards, vocals, harmonica
- Tony Garnier – bass guitar
- Phil Upchurch – guitar, mandolin
- Patrick Warren - piano, organ, celeste
- David Hidalgo – accordion, guitar, mandolin, violin
- Donnie Herron – steel guitar, mandolin, trumpet, violin
- George Recile – drums, percussion
Mixed voice singers
- Amanda Barrett
- Bill Cantos
- Randy Crenshaw
- Abby DeWald
- Nicole Eva Emery
- Walt Harrah
- Robert Joyce
- Jack Frost (Bob Dylan) – producer
- David Bianco – recording, mixing
- David Spreng – additional engineering
- Bill Lane – assistant engineer
- Glen Suravech – assistant engineer
- Rich Tosti – studio support
- Ed Wong – studio support
- VisualLanguage.com – front cover
- Leonard Freed/Magnum Photos – inside photo
- Ewin Fotheringham – back cover illustration
- Coco Shinomiya – design
- Olivia De Berandis - Inside cover illustration
Chart (2009) Peak
Austria Albums Chart 63 Belgian (Flanders) Albums Chart 22 Belgian (Wallony) Albums Chart 89 Canada Albums Chart 33 Denmark Albums Chart 15 Dutch Albums Chart 34 French Albums Chart 119 Germany Albums Chart 37 Norway Albums Chart 5 Irish Albums Chart 34 Italy Albums Chart 27 Spain Albums Chart 54 Sweden Albums Chart 6 Switzerland Albums Chart 80 UK Albums Chart 40 US Billboard 200 Albums Chart 23 US Billboard Holiday Albums Chart 1 US Billboard Folk Albums Chart 1 US Billboard Rock Albums Chart 9
- ^ "CAFAmerica to distribute royalities [sic] from Bob Dylan's Christmas album to Crisis". UK Fundraising. 2009-12-14. http://www.fundraising.co.uk/news/2009/12/14/cafamerica-distribute-royalities-bob-dylan039s-christmas-album-crisis. Retrieved 2009-12-19.
- ^ Bob Dylan brings Christmas cheer to those without homes, Reuters, November 26, 2009
- ^ a b Hall, Peter. "A soundtrack for the holidays – Bob Dylan does Christmas". Se7en Magazine. November 10, 2009. Retrieved December 6, 2009.
- ^ Flanagan, Bill (2009-11-23). "Bob Dylan Discusses Holiday Music, Christmas and Feeding The Hungry With Bill Flanagan". Street News Service. http://www.streetnewsservice.org/index.php?page=archive_detail&articleID=4746. Retrieved 2009-11-26. [dead link]
- ^ http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/11/16/premiere-bob-dylans-must-be-santa-video-from-christmas-lp/#
- ^ Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Christmas in the Heart at Allmusic
- ^ A.V. Club review
- ^ The Chicago Tribune review
- ^ Christgau, Robert. "Robert Christgau: CG: Artist 169". robertchristgau.com. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=169. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- ^ Drowned In Sound review
- ^ The Guardian review
- ^ Rolling Stone review
- ^ Slant Magazine review
- ^ Sputnikmusic review
- ^ Uncut (magazine) review
- ^ "Bob Dylan - Christmas In The Heart". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/dylanbob/christmasintheheart?q=christmas%20in%20the%20heart. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- ^ http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-24-09-a-very-dylan-christmas/
- ^ http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/music_review.asp?ID=1887
- ^ "Dylan to release Christmas album". BBC News. 2009-08-27. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8223851.stm. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- ^ "Dylan royalties for Crisis charity". Daily Mirror. 2009-09-24. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/2009/09/24/dylan-royalties-for-crisis-charity-115875-21697616/. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- ^ Trust, Gary. Chart Beat Thursday: John Mayer, Folk Albums, David Guetta . Billboard. November 26, 2009. Retrieved December 6, 2009.
Bob Dylan Studio albumsBob Dylan · The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan · The Times They Are a-Changin' · Another Side of Bob Dylan · Bringing It All Back Home · Highway 61 Revisited · Blonde on Blonde · John Wesley Harding · Nashville Skyline · Self Portrait · New Morning · Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid · Dylan · Planet Waves · Blood on the Tracks · The Basement Tapes · Desire · Street-Legal · Slow Train Coming · Saved · Shot of Love · Infidels · Empire Burlesque · Knocked Out Loaded · Down in the Groove · Oh Mercy · Under the Red Sky · Good as I Been to You · World Gone Wrong · Time Out of Mind · Love and Theft · Modern Times · Together Through Life · Christmas in the Heart Live albumsBefore the Flood · Hard Rain · Bob Dylan at Budokan · Real Live · Dylan & the Dead · The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration · MTV Unplugged · Live 1961–2000: Thirty-Nine Years of Great Concert Performances · Live at the Gaslight 1962 · Live at Carnegie Hall 1963 · In Concert – Brandeis University 1963 Compilations The Bootleg SeriesVolumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 · Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert · Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue · Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hall · Vol. 7: No Direction Home: The Soundtrack · Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989-2006 · Vol. 9: The Witmark Demos: 1962–1964 Concerts and tours Never Ending Tour Films Writings Books about DylanThe Bob Dylan Encyclopedia · Bob Dylan, Performing Artist · Invisible Republic · The Cambridge Companion to Bob Dylan Related articlesAlbums · American folk music revival · Awards · Bob Dylan bootleg recordings · List of Basement Tapes songs · The Bootleg Series · Discography · List of artists who have covered Bob Dylan songs · Related topics · Songs recorded by Bob Dylan · Songs written by Bob Dylan · Great White Wonder · The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams · The Masked Marauders · Theme Time Radio Hour · The Best of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour · Traveling Wilburys Book:Bob Dylan · Category:Bob Dylan · Portal:Bob Dylan · WikiProject:Bob Dylan
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christmas from the Heart — Álbum de David Archuleta Publicación 13 de octubre de 2009 Grabación Junio Septiembre de 2009 Género(s) Música de Navidad, Pop … Wikipedia Español
Christmas in the Heart — Álbum de estudio de Bob Dylan Publicación 13 de octubre de 2009 Grabación Groove Masters Studio, Santa Monica, California, mayo de 2009 Género(s) Música navideña … Wikipedia Español
Christmas in the Heart — Album par Bob Dylan Sortie 13 octobre 2009 Enregistrement 2009 Santa Monica Durée 42:21 Genre chants de Noël Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
Christmas from the Heart — may refer to: Christmas from the Heart (David Archuleta album), a 2009 album by David Archuleta Christmas from the Heart (Kenny Rogers album), a 1998 album This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
Christmas in the Heart — Эта статья содержит незавершённый перевод с иностранного языка. Вы можете помочь проекту, переведя её до конца. Если вы знаете, на каком языке написан фрагмент, укажите его в этом шаблоне … Википедия
Christmas from the Heart (David Archuleta album) — Christmas from the Heart Studio album by David Archuleta Released October 13, 2009 … Wikipedia
Christmas from the Heart (Kenny Rogers album) — Christmas From The Heart Studio album by Kenny Rogers Released 1998 Recorded 1998 … Wikipedia
Christmas from the Heart Tour — Tour by David Archuleta Associated album Christmas from the Heart Start date … Wikipedia
Christmas in My Heart — Studioalbum von Sarah Connor Veröffentlichung 18. November 2005 24. November 2006 (Re Release) 16. November 2007 (Re Release Digipack) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christmas in My Heart — For the 1959 holiday album, see Christmas in My Heart (Connie Francis album). Christmas in My Heart Studio album by Sarah Connor … Wikipedia