- Chris Kelly (entrepreneur)
Chris Kelly, November 2007
Born 1970/1971 (age 40–41) Residence Palo Alto, California Education Georgetown University
Harvard Law School
Occupation entrepreneur, politician, lawyer Known for former Chief Privacy Officer of Facebook Spouse Jennifer Carrico Children Two
Christopher Michael "Chris" Kelly (b. August 18) is an American entrepreneur, politician, and lawyer. Until March 16, 2010, he was the Chief Privacy Officer of Facebook. Chris Kelly is a member of the Democratic Party and ran for Attorney General of California in the 2010 election.
Early life and education
Kelly grew up in Santa Ana and San Jose, California, where he graduated from Bellarmine College Preparatory in 1987. He earned a BA from Georgetown University in 1991, a master's degree in political theory from Yale University in 1992, and a law degree from Harvard Law School in 1997.
After graduating from Georgetown, Kelly worked on Governor Bill Clinton's campaign. Kelly began working as a policy advisor for the United States Domestic Policy Council and Department of Education during the Clinton administration. He focused on researching education and issues surrounding the formation of AmeriCorps. After graduating from law school, Kelly clerked for a year for federal judge Barry Moskowitz. Kelly worked in private practice with the firms Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati and Baker & McKenzie, and created the chief privacy officer position at Kendara, Excite@Home, and Spoke Software prior to joining Facebook in September 2005. As Facebook Chief Privacy Officer, he took the lead role for privacy issues as well as protecting the network from sex offenders. He left Facebook in March 2010.
During Kelly's tenure at Facebook, the controversial Facebook Beacon program was launched.
As Facebook privacy officer, Kelly was involved in protecting minors online. During a secret investigation, investigators from the New York Attorney General's office posted fake Facebook profiles for underage teens. Both profiles were soon contacted by older men soliciting sex without being interfered with by Facebook authorities. New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo subpoenaed Facebook's records, but within three weeks, Facebook settled the case. Kelly told reporters, "This did start out as an investigation...but it has turned into a great cooperative effort that we hope the whole industry will follow." Facebook agreed to speed it response time for complaints, while Attorney General Cuomo and involved advocacy groups praised Facebook's cooperation. Cuomo called the end result a "successful conclusion." Kelly gave subsequent interviews on the subject from his position as Facebook Chief Privacy Officer.
In his role as Chief Privacy Officer of Facebook, Kelly began working with attorneys general across the nation who were investigating the issue. During his campaign in 2010, Kelly prominently featured his work with all 50 attorneys general to protect minors online.
Attorney General electoral bid
On May 25, 2010, an opposing campaign filed a complaint with the California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) which alleged that Chris Kelly’s campaign violated state election laws regarding an improper loan and disclosure. The complaint was dismissed June 7, 2010, citing "insufficient evidence to warrant further investigation." 
Kelly lost the California Democratic primary to Kamala Harris.
- ^ a b c Davis, Chase (May 13, 2010). "A Candidate Shaped in Crucible of Facebook and Privacy Issues". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/us/politics/14sfkelly.html.
- ^ a b c d e Kelly 2010 campaign bio
- ^ Chris Kelly Facebook page
- ^ a b c "Q&A: Chris Kelly, chief privacy officer of Facebook". The Times. April 4, 2008. http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3680649.ece.
- ^ a b Holt, Richard (17 October 2007). "Facebook takes steps to tackle paedophiles". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1566406/Facebook-takes-steps-to-tackle-paedophiles.html.
- ^ Offender subpoena
- ^ a b McCarthy, Caroline (October 16, 2007). "Facebook, N.Y. attorney general reach accord". CNET News. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9798171-36.html.
- ^ Marinucci, Carla (April 30, 2009). "Facebook executive Chris Kelly makes his candidacy for attorney general official". San Francisco Chronicle. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/30/BA3317BD27.DTL.
- ^ Sanders, Jim (May 10, 2010). "New donation means Chris Kelly has forked out nearly $10 million for AG campaign". The Sacramento Bee. http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/05/chris-kelly-has.html.
- ^ Sanders, Jim (May 25, 2010). "Kelly's nearly $10 million donation sparks FPPC complaint". The Sacramento Bee. http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/05/kellys-nearly-1.html.
- ^ Sanders, Jim (June 7, 2010). "FPPC dismisses stock-sale complaint against Chris Kelly". The Sacramento Bee. http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/06/fppc-dismisses.html.
Overview Website PeopleFoundersBoardExecutivesCurrentFormerNotable
employeesCurrentAndrei Alexandrescu (research scientist)FormerCharlie Cheever (programmer) · Andrew McCollum (graphic artist) · Randi Zuckerberg (marketing director)
SoftwareHipHop for PHP · Apache Cassandra · Apache Thrift · Scribe (log server) · Apache Hive · FQL OtherActivity stream · f8 conference · Social graph · The Facebook Effect · The Accidental Billionaires · The Social Network · Wirehog
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chris Kelly (disambiguation) — Chris Kelly may refer to: Chris Kelly (ice hockey), Canadian National Hockey League player Chris Kelly (jazz) (1890–1929), American jazz trumpeter Chris Kelly (entrepreneur), Chief privacy officer, general counsel, and VP at Facebook Chris Mac… … Wikipedia
Chris Hughes — This article is about co founder of Facebook. For other people of the same name, see Christopher Hughes. Chris Hughes Born November 26, 1983 (1983 11 26) (age 27) … Wikipedia
Chris Cline — in his study. Chris Cline is an American entrepreneur engaged in coal mining and a philanthropist. He is currently the majority owner of privately held Foresight Reserves LP, with headquarters in Palm Beach, Florida. … Wikipedia
Chris von der Ahe — von der Ahe, from a baseball card, 1887 Born October 7, 1851(1851 10 07) Hille, Prussia Died … Wikipedia
Chris Evans (presenter) — For other people named Christopher Evans, see Christopher Evans (disambiguation). Chris Evans Evans and Joss Stone Born Christopher James Evans 1 April 1966 (1966 04 01) … Wikipedia
Kelly Madison — Adult bio name = Kelly Madison gender = female caption = birth = birth date and age|mf=yes|1967|8|26 location = Newport Beach, California, US birthname = spouse = death = measurements = 34FF 24 35 in measureispenis = no height =… … Wikipedia
David Wu (entrepreneur) — For other people named David Wu, see David Wu (disambiguation). David Wu Born 1970 Occupation Founder and President, Sports Composite DE, Inc … Wikipedia
Mark Zuckerberg — Zuckerberg at the 37th G8 summit in 2011 … Wikipedia
History of Facebook — See also: Timeline of Facebook This is a history of the social network service, Facebook. Contents 1 Facemash 2 thefacebook 3 Facebook 4 Financials … Wikipedia
Facebook — This article is about the Web site. For the collection of photographs of people after which it is named, see Facebook (directory). Facebook, Inc … Wikipedia