- China Blue High-definition Disc
CH DVD Media type High-density optical disc Developed by DVD Forum, Optical Memory National Engineering Research Center (OMNERC) Usage Data storage, including high-definition video
China Blue High-Definition (CBHD) (Chinese: 中国蓝光高清光盘) (China High Definition DVD) is a high definition optical disc format announced in September 2007 by the Optical Memory National Engineering Research Center (OMNERC) of Tsinghua University in China. The format is a derivative of the HD DVD, a medium created by the DVD Forum designed to succeed regular DVDs. Although HD DVD was scrapped as a result of losing the format war to Blu-ray, CBHDs continued to be produced and marketed, especially in China.
Originally called CH-DVD, CBHD is a joint venture between the DVD Forum and OMNERC. Development began in 2005, and an early prototype was demonstrated in 2007. In 2008 during the DVD Forum's 42nd Steering Committee Meeting, the DVD Forum gave OMNERC the ability to edit HD DVD specifications.
Optical discs Optical media types
- Blu-ray Disc (BD): BD-R, BD-RE
- DVD: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DS, DVD+R DS, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-D, DVD-A, HVD, EcoDisc
- Compact Disc (CD): Red Book, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, 5.1 Music Disc, SACD, Photo CD, CD Video (CDV), Video CD (VCD), SVCD, CD+G, CD-Text, CD-ROM XA, CD-i
- Universal Media Disc (UMD)
- Enhanced Versatile Disc (EVD)
- Forward Versatile Disc (FVD)
- Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)
- China Blue High-definition Disc (CBHD)
- HD DVD: HD DVD-R, HD DVD-RW, HD DVD-RAM
- High definition Versatile Multilayer Disc (HD VMD)
- MiniDisc (MD) (Hi-MD)
- Laserdisc (LD) (LD-ROM)
- Video Single Disc (VSD)
- Ultra Density Optical (UDO)
- Stacked Volumetric Optical Disk (SVOD)
- Five dimensional disc (5D DVD)
- Nintendo optical disc (NOD)
Standards See also
Development of CBHD, heavily based on the HD DVD standard, was greatly helped by Japanese engineers. In particular, Hisashi Yamada, former Chief Technology Fellow at Toshiba's Digital Media Network, often referred to as the "father of DVD," has played a key role in China's plan to create its own high-definition consumer video format.
CBHD differs from HD DVD in several key areas. CBHD uses the PRC government-owned AVS video codec, DRA audio codec, and a new copy protection system, DKAA, as an alternative to HD DVD's and Blu-ray's AACS. CBHD's developers claim that the format contains more copy protection features and is part of a big push by China to fight piracy in addition to reducing their reliance upon foreign patents with their associated royalty payments.
Like HD DVD, CBHD discs have a capacity of 15GB single-layer and 30GB dual-layer and can utilise existing DVD production lines.
In early March 2009, Warner Bros announced that they would be supporting the CBHD format, launching with titles including the Harry Potter series and Blood Diamond, with discs selling for between 50 and 70 yuan (roughly $7.25 to $10.15). According to an August 2009 television story by TV-Tokyo, CBHD was outselling rival Blu-ray by a margin of 3 to 1 in China. In September 2009, Universal Studios and National Geographic announced their support for the format. Additionally adding support for the format are Paramount Pictures (US), Celestial (HK/CN) and BBC/Discovery (UK/US).
- China Video Disc, aA Chinese-modified VCD format
- HD DVD, the short-lived format that CBHD is based on
- High-Definition Versatile Disc, China's high-resolution format on DVDs
- Blu-ray Disc, an alternative high definition format
- Comparison of high definition optical disc formats
- ^ a b "Steering Committee meeting, (Nov. 15, 2007)". Dvdforum.org. http://www.dvdforum.org/40scmtg-resolution.htm. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- ^ Japanese engineers help China's homegrown hi-def disc development
- ^ Modine, Austin (2008-07-29). "China readies Blu-Ray competitor". The Register. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/29/china_cbhd_ready/. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- ^ a b Why CBHD ChinaHDA.org
- ^ China Adopts New HD Disc Standard, HD DVD Reaches 51GB
- ^ "China announces CH-DVD, a new high definition DVD standard". Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/09/china-announces-ch-dvd-a-new-high-definition-dvd-standard/. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- ^ "New Chinese Involvement Could Trigger HD DVD Price Plunge". BetaNews. http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Chinese_Involvement_Could_Trigger_HD_DVD_Price_Plunge/1189196071. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- ^ High-definition discs Industry Alliance of China officially established its debut CH-DVD, ZDnet China, September 7, 2007
- ^ CBHD is China's Own Blu-ray Disc - Tom's Hardware, May 1st 2009
- ^ "HD battle on the eastern front? Warner to support CBHD". Ars Technica. March 3, 2009. http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/03/warner-bros-to-support-chinese-blu-ray-competitor-cbhd.ars. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- ^ "Homegrown CBHD discs outsell Blu-ray by 3-1 margin in China". Ars Technica. 2 August 2009. http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/08/homegrown-cbhd-discs-outsell-blu-ray-by-3-1-margin-in-china.ars. Retrieved 5 September 2009.
- ^ Universal Studios (US) and National Geographic (US) Announce Support for CBHD - Format War Central, September 18, 2009
- ^ CBHD/CH-DVD raw search, Joyo Amazon.com (in Chinese)
- Official Site (English)
- High-definition discs Industry Alliance of China officially established its debut CH-DVD, ZDnet China, September 7, 2007
- Business Wire press release
- China's Olympic HD-DVD - The Future of Things article
- Homegrown CBHD discs outsell Blu-ray by 3-1 margin in China - Ars Technica
Video storage formats Videotape
Quadruplex (1956) · VERA (1958) · Sony 2 inch helical VTR (1961) · Ampex 2 inch helical VTR (1962) · Type A (1965) · CV-2000 (1965) · Akai (1967) · U-matic (1969) · EIAJ-1 (1969) · Cartrivision (1972) · Philips VCR (1972) · V-Cord (1974) · VX (1974) · Betamax (1975) · IVC (1975) · Type B (1976) · Type C (1976) · VHS (1976) · VK (1977) · SVR (1979) · Video 2000 (1980) · CVC (1980) · VHS-C (1982) · M (1982) · Betacam (1982) · Video8 (1985) · MII (1986) · S-VHS (1987) · S-VHS-C (1987) · Hi8 (1989) ·High Definition
VideodiscAnalogDigitalHigh Definition DigitalMedia agnosticTapeless Video recorded to film High definition media Media formats Promoter Interactivity Recordable formats Comparison Copy prevention Blu-ray Disc players HD DVD players
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
China Blue High-Definition Disc — China Blue High Definition (CBHD), anteriormente conocido como CH DVD (China High Definition DVD), es un formato de disco óptico de alta definición presentado en septiembre de 2007 por el Optical Memory National Engineering Research Center… … Wikipedia Español
Comparison of high definition optical disc formats — This article is about comparative HD optical disc formats. For a history of the Blu ray/HD DVD format war, see High definition optical disc format war. This article compares the technical specifications of multiple high definition formats,… … Wikipedia
Blu-ray Disc — Blue ray redirects here. For the fish of the same name, see Neoraja caerulea. Blu ray Disc Media type … Wikipedia
Versatile Multilayer Disc — VMD Media type High density optical disc Encoding MPEG 2 and VC 1 Capacity Standard: 20 GB (4 layer), 5 … Wikipedia
Compact Disc — CD redirects here. For other uses, see CD (disambiguation). Not to be confused with DVD. Compact disc The readable surface of a Compact Disc incl … Wikipedia
Optical disc authoring — Optical discs Optical disc Optical disc drive Optical disc authoring Authoring software Recording technologies Recording modes Packet writing Optical media types … Wikipedia
Optical disc — Optical media redirects here. For transmission media for light, see Medium (optics). The optical lens of a compact disc drive. In computing and optical disc recording technologies, an optical disc is a flat, usually circular disc which encodes… … Wikipedia
Optical disc recording technologies — Optical discs Optical disc Optical disc drive Optical disc authoring Authoring software Recording technologies Recording modes Packet writing Optical media types … Wikipedia
Optical disc drive — A CD/DVD ROM Drive A Blu ray (BD RE DL) writer tray in a Sony Vaio E series laptop … Wikipedia
5.1 Music Disc — Optical discs Optical disc Optical disc drive Optical disc authoring Authoring software Recording technologies Recording modes Packet writing Optical media types … Wikipedia