- Children's Hospital (BBC TV series)
Children's Hospital Genre Docu-soap Theme music composer Debbie Wiseman Production Executive producer(s) Jeremy Mills Producer(s) Richard Bradley
Broadcast Original channel BBC One Original run October 19, 1993 – early 2000s Chronology Related shows fly-on-the-wall documentary series based at the Sheffield Children's Hospital, Birmingham Children's Hospital, and Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool. It was broadcast on BBC One between 1993 and the early-2000s.
Scholar Annette Hill says that the series had "all the hallmarks of a docu-soap", saying its "personal, melodramatic stories appeal to viewers, with more that 8 million tuning in to the first series, despite widespread criticism from the press." Peter Lee-Wright observes that the series marked a transition in fly-on-the-wall documentaries by shifting the emphasis from the practical considerations onto the "human dramas being played out ... [capturing] the pain of the children ... and their parents' rollercoaster rides."
The theme music was composed by Debbie Wiseman. The music was released as a CD single in 1997, containing full orchestral and piano versions of the theme, alongside the shorter versions used for the opening and closing sequences. The orchestral version was also released on the compilation album World of Sound.
- Bradley, Richard; Cook, Tracy; Phillips, Mark (1993). Children's Hospital: The Book of the BBC-TV Series. BBC Worldwide. ISBN 0563369728.
- Hill, Annette (May 2000). "Fearful and Safe: Audience Response to British Reality Programming". Television & New Media 1 (2): 193–213.
- ^ Born, Georgina (2005). Uncertain Vision: Birt, Dyke and the Reinvention of the BBC. Random House. p. 433.
- ^ a b "CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL". BFI. http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/498647. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ Kent, Simon (2001). Getting a top job in-- the arts & media. Kogan Page Publishers. p. 76.
- ^ "TV hospital that became a beacon of hope". The Telegraph. 30 Jan 2001. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1320227/TV-hospital-that-became-a-beacon-of-hope.html. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ Hill, Annette (2005). Reality TV: audiences and popular factual television. Routledge. p. 28. ISBN 041526152X.
- ^ Lee-Wright, Peter (2009). The Documentary Handbook. Taylor & Francis. p. 110. ISBN 0415434025.
- ^ BBC Worldwide, BMG, 743214758922
- ^ Big George. "DEBBIE WISEMAN: TV & Film Composer Extraordinaire". Sound on Sound. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/articles/debbie.html. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Children's Hospital — is the name for many hospitals that care for children including: Arkansas Children s Hospital Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center Children s Hospital (Aurora, Colorado) Children s Hospital (Omaha, Nebraska) Children s Hospital Central… … Wikipedia
Alder Hey Children's Hospital — Infobox Hospital Name = Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust Org/Group = Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust Width = Caption = Location = Liverpool Region = Merseyside State = England Country = UK HealthCare = NHS Type = Specialist… … Wikipedia
Man Alive (BBC TV series) — Man Alive Genre Documentary and current affairs Country of origin United Kingdom Language(s) … Wikipedia
BBC — For other uses, see BBC (disambiguation). British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Industry Broadcasting Predecessor British Broadcasting Company Founded 1 January 1927 … Wikipedia
Children's Acute Transport Service — The Children’s Acute Transport Service (CATS) is a publicly funded specialised regional intensive care transport service for critically ill children. CATS is the busiest Paediatric Intensive Care Transport Service in the UK and covers the 50… … Wikipedia
BBC Breakfast — Infobox Television show name = Breakfast caption = format = News, Business, Sport, Weather runtime = 195 minutes creator = BBC News developer = producer = executive producer = presenter = Bill Turnbull Sian Williams Charlie Stayt Susanna Reid… … Wikipedia
BBC One — Infobox TV channel name = BBC One logosize = 200px logofile = BBC One logo.svg logoalt = The BBC One logo since 2006 launch = 2 November 1936 picture format = 576i (PAL) 16:9 share = 20.8% share as of = June 2008 share source =… … Wikipedia
Something Special (TV series) — Something Special Screenshot from title credits from series 4 Also known as Something Special: Out and About Genre … Wikipedia
Waterloo Road (TV series) — Waterloo Road The opening title sequence of Waterloo Road … Wikipedia
Torchwood: Children of Earth — For other uses, see Children of the earth. 27 31 – Children of Earth Torchwood serial Title card … Wikipedia