- Chief Dan George
Chief Dan George Born July 24, 1899
Tsleil-Waututh, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Died September 23, 1981(aged 82)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Years active 1960–1981
Chief Dan George, OC (July 24, 1899 – September 23, 1981) was a chief of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, a Coast Salish band located on Burrard Inlet in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He was also an author, poet, and an Academy Award-nominated actor.
Born as Geswanouth Slahoot in North Vancouver, his English name was originally Dan Slaholt. The surname was changed to George when he entered a residential school at age 5. He worked at a number of different jobs, including as a longshoreman, construction worker, and school bus driver, and was band chief of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation from 1951 to 1963 (then called the Burrard Indian Band).
In 1960, when he was already 60 years old, he landed his first acting job in a CBC Television series, Cariboo Country, as the character, Ol' Antoine (pron. "Antwine"). He performed the same role in a Walt Disney Studios movie, Smith!, adapted from an episode in this series (based on Breaking Smith's Quarter Horse, a novella by Paul St. Pierre). At age 71, he won several awards for his role in the film Little Big Man. He received a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. He continued to act in other films, such as The Outlaw Josey Wales, Harry and Tonto, and Americathon, and on television, including a role in the miniseries Centennial, based on the book by James A. Michener, as well as appearing in a 1973 episode of the original Kung Fu series.
During his acting career, he worked to promote better understanding by non-aboriginals of the First Nations people. His soliloquy, Lament for Confederation, an indictment of the appropriation of native territory by white colonialism, was performed at the City of Vancouver's celebration of the Canadian centennial in 1967. This speech is credited with escalating native political activism in Canada, as well as touching off widespread pro-native sentiment among non-natives.
He was included on the famous Golden Rule Poster under "Native Spirituality" with the quote: "We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive".
- The beauty of the trees,
- the softness of the air,
- the fragrance of the grass,
- speaks to me.
- And my heart soars.
- Chief Dan George Middle School in Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Chief Dan George Public School in Toronto, Ontario
- Chief Dan George Theatre, Phoenix Theatre, University of Victoria, British Columbia
- George, Dan, and Helmut Hirnschall. My Heart Soars. Toronto: Clarke, Irwin, 1974. ISBN 0919654150
- George, Dan, and Helmut Hirnschall. My Spirit Soars. Surrey, B.C., Canada: Hancock House, 1982. ISBN 0888391544
- Mortimer, Hilda, and Dan George. You Call Me Chief: Impressions of the Life of Chief Dan George. Toronto: Doubleday Canada, 1981. ISBN 0385048068
- George, Dan, and Helmut Hirnschall. The Best of Chief Dan George. Surrey, B.C.: Hancock House, 2003. ISBN 0888395442
Dan George's granddaughter Lee Maracle is a poet, author, activist, and professor. His granddaughter Charlene Aleck is an actress who performed for 18 years on The Beachcombers on CBC. His great-granddaughter Columpa Bobb is an actor and poet.
- Notable Aboriginal people of Canada
- Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast
- ^ a b Hidden in plain sight: contributions of Aboriginal peoples to Canadian. University of Toronto Press. 2005. p. 14. ISBN 0802088007. http://books.google.ca/books?id=u_KHdgEr61UC&pg=PA14&dq=Chief+Dan+George+was+born+as+Geswanouth+Slahoot+in+North+Vancouver#v=onepage&q&f=true. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ a b Yoggy, Gary A (1998). Back in the saddle: essays on Western film and television actors. Jefferson, NC [u.a.] McFarland. p. 138. ISBN 078640566X. http://books.google.ca/books?id=pLbMzGDhTOIC&lpg=PA138&dq=Chief%20Dan%20George&pg=PA138#v=onepage&q&f=true. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- ^ "First Nations - Land Rights and Environmentalism in British Columbia". Institute for the History of Science - University of Goettingen. 2005. http://www.firstnations.de/development/eagleridge_bluffs.htm. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "CBC News Indepth: Oscars". Cbc.ca. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/oscars/. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "Chief Dan George (1899–1981)". The Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313381/. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "Chief Dan George: Acclaimed actor, gentle soul". The Aboriginal Multi-Media Society. 2008. http://www.ammsa.com/node/29977. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- ^ a b "Chief Dan George - CBC Archives". Archives.cbc.ca. http://archives.cbc.ca/society/native_issues/clips/14948/. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "The Governor General of Canada". Gg.ca. http://www.gg.ca/honour.aspx?id=1991&t=12. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "Stamp Quest | Stamps : Canadians in Hollywood: The Sequel". Canadapost.ca. 2008-06-30. http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/collecting/stampquest/eng/cnd_hollywood-e.asp. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "Chief Dan George (1899 - 1981) - Find A Grave Memorial". Findagrave.com. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10211109. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ Teasdale, Wayne (2004). Awakening the Spirit, Inspiring the Soul: 30 Stories of Interspiritual .... Woodstock, Vermont : SkyLight Paths Pub. p. xviii. ISBN 1594730393. http://books.google.ca/books?id=Tg51TNxGaokC&lpg=PR18&dq=poster%20Dan%20George%20We%20are%20as%20much%20alive%20as%20we%20keep%20the%20earth%20alive&pg=PR18#v=onepage&q&f=true. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- ^ Fralic, Shelley (2010-02-12). "Opening ceremony: Canadians strut their stuff". Vancouversun.com. http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Opening+ceremony+Canada+Olympians+strut+their+stuff/2558141/story.html. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ "Chief Dan George Public School". Toronto District School Board. http://www.tdsb.on.ca/SchoolWeb/_site/viewitem.asp?siteid=10378&pageid=18880&menuid=21673. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- Chief Dan George on CBC TV's Telescope, 1971
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Chief Dan George — Dan George Dan George, né Geswanouth Slaholt, nom anglicisé en Dan Slaholt, également connu comme Chief Dan George (né dans la réserve amérindienne Burrard N° 3 à Vancouver Nord (Colombie Britannique, Canada) le 24 juillet 1899 décédé à Vancouver … Wikipédia en Français
Chief Dan George — fue un líder amerindio canadiense de los Tsleil Waututh, una de las Naciones Originarias de Canadá que habitan en la Columbia Británica. Actor y escritor. Recordado por haber sido nominado a un premio Oscar por su actuación en el filme Pequeño… … Wikipedia Español
Chief Dan George — (* 24. Juli 1899; † 23. September 1981 in Vancouver) war ein Schauspieler und Häuptling des Salish Indianerstammes am Burrard Inlet in Britisch Kolumbien (Kanada). Nach dem Schulbesuch bestritt er seinen Lebensunterhalt durch wechselnde Berufe,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dan George — Dan George, né Geswanouth Slaholt, nom anglicisé en Dan Slaholt, également connu comme Chief Dan George (né dans la réserve amérindienne Burrard N° 3 à Vancouver Nord (Colombie Britannique, Canada) le 24 juillet 1899 décédé à Vancouver (Colombie… … Wikipédia en Français
Dan George — Chief Dan George (* 24. Juli 1899; † 23. September 1981 in Vancouver) war ein Schauspieler und Häuptling des Salish Indianerstammes am Burrard Inlet in Britisch Kolumbien (Kanada). Nach dem Schulbesuch bestritt er seinen Lebensunterhalt durch… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dan George — Infobox actor name = Dan George caption = birthdate = July 24, 1899 birthplace = First Nations reserve, North Vancouver deathdate = September 23, 1981 deathplace = Vancouver, British ColumbiaChief Dan George, OC (July 24, 1899 ndash;September 23 … Wikipedia
George Is On My Mind (The George Song) — is a country comedy song written and perforned by comedian Tim Wilson and appears on his 1994 album Waking Up the Neighborhood and his 1996 album .ong s premiseThe title is a pun on the song Georgia On My Mind , which was made famous by Ray… … Wikipedia
George W. Bush — This article is about the 43rd U.S. president. For his father, the 41st U.S. president, see George H. W. Bush. For other persons of the same name, see George Bush. George W. Bush … Wikipedia
Chief Illiniwek — The Chief Illiniwek symbol Chief Illiniwek performing a … Wikipedia
Dan Rather — at the Goddard Space Flight Center, September 2007 Born Daniel Irvin Rather, Jr. October 31, 1931 (1931 10 31) (age 80) Wharton, Texas, U.S … Wikipedia