- Chicken fried bacon
Chicken fried bacon
Chicken fried bacon with cream gravy from Sodolak's Original Country Inn in Snook, Texas
Origin Place of origin USA Region or state Texas Creator(s) Frank Sodolak Dish details Course served Dinner Serving temperature Hot Main ingredient(s) Bacon, batter dip Variations With gravy
Chicken fried bacon consists of bacon strips dredged in batter and deep fried, like chicken fried steak. It is an American dish that was introduced in Texas in the early 1990s. Frank Sodolak of Sodolak's Original Country Inn in Snook, Texas, is credited as having invented the food.
Chicken fried bacon has been gaining in popularity as it is featured in popular YouTube videos, a book of Texas curiosities, and an increasing number of restaurant menus. It is usually served as an appetizer with a white "country" or cream gravy for dipping and sauce.
Sodolak's dish acquired enough of a reputation to be featured in Texas comedian John Kelso's Texas Curiosities. The entry states that "Things are not only bigger in Texas, they're greasier" and that "it's hard to imagine a more artery-clogging food."
Sodolak serves six strips of bacon, battered and fried, with a bowl of cream gravy. He and his restaurant were featured on a Texas Country Reporter episode; the web video has been watched hundreds of thousands of times on YouTube.
Versions of dish
Chicken fried bacon made by Glen Kusak of south Texas won the Big Tex Choice Award for Best Taste in the 2008 State Fair of Texas in Dallas. In recent years, the dish has made its way across America and it is served in Chicago at the Risque Cafe in Lake View. The Risque Cafe's version of "country-fried bacon" is served with white gravy and sells for $6. It is prepared using an egg wash, dredged in heavily peppered flour and deep fried in vegetable oil. The café's chef, Andrew Niemeyer, said he "played around with the idea" while a student of the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (he graduated in 2005) and did not mention that he was retracing ground pioneered years before in Texas.
Sodolak's YouTube video inspired others to copy the recipe, such as Don Yovicsin of Jake's Dixie Roadhouse, Waltham, Massachusetts. Alerted by a customer, he quickly made his own version, which he jokes is served "with a Lipitor I.V." and sells for $6.95 (Yovicsin serves only four strips of bacon).
Since the dish is rich in saturated fat, those health experts that favor low-fat diets suggest consuming it in moderation or not at all. Sally Squires of the Washington Post acknowledged chicken fried bacon's appeal to the palate, but suggests moderation. Other experts note the dish's low nutritional benefits: "They've taken fat, they've double-coated it in fat, they've fried it in more fat, and then they've served it with a side order of fat." Jane Hurley, senior nutritionist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, D.C., stated she's "never heard of anything worse."
While critics of the dish denounce its blatant negative health effects, lovers of the food speak as passionately about its qualities:
“ The moment when the crackle of the crust gives way to the fatty, salty taste of the pork is truly transcendent. ” “ That clogs arteries just to hear it, but it's to die for . . . It just melts in your mouth. ”
- ^ a b Kelso, John (January 16, 1999). "Would you like double grease with that?". South Coast Today. http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-99/01-16-99/a05op025.htm. Retrieved February 9, 2009.
- ^ a b c d Kelso, John (2006). Texas Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Other Offbeat Stuff. Globe Pequot. p. 158. ISBN 9780762741090. http://books.google.com/books?id=gW9ye7wu0E0C.
- ^ The Austin American-Statesman reported that the restaurant burned down in February 2001 (possibly as the result of a grease fire) to the dismay of chicken fried bacon lovers; it was to be re-opened in mid-July. Kelso, John (2001-06-08). "Grease: It's not just a food, it's a way of life". Austin American-Statesman. p. B1. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=AASB&p_theme=aasb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EC89C576CFD6DC8&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ Phillips, Bob (2006-10-19). "Chicken Fried Bacon". Texas Country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ Meyers, Jessica (2008-09-02). "Chicken Fried Bacon? State Fair of Texas reveals winning fried foods". Dallas Morning News. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/090208dnmetfriedfoods.33839923.html. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ "Winners named in Big Tex Choice Awards" (Press release). BigTex.com. 2008. http://220.127.116.11/ns/PressRelease/ViewPressRelease.asp?PRelId=39. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ a b c Donovan, Lisa (2008-11-05). "Does bacon get any better than this?". Chicago Sun-Times. http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/food/1259952,FOO-News-det05.article. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ Tzarev, Zara (2007-06-23). "Bacon Bits". The Boston Globe.
- ^ a b Response to "Guilty in Virginia," in Squires, Sally (2001-12-27). "The Lean Plate Club". Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/01/health/squires122701.htm. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ "Grease: most of us were practically weaned on chicken-fried steak, but why limit yourself to a tough cut of meat when there's a brave new world of cowboy cooking out there? Please pass the chicken-fried bacon. And lobster. And foie gras. And ...". Texas Monthly. http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4552957/Grease-most-of-us-were.html. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ^ Dinah Covert, chairman of the San Antonio Go Western Gala, quoted in Goodspeed, John (2009-01-14). "Gala means rodeo on horizon". My San Antonio. http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/37611324.html. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- Snook Texas roadfood video Texas County Reporter - Chicken Fried Bacon (YouTube)
- Texas County Reporter - Chicken Fried Bacon (Google Video)
- Texas County Reporter - Chicken Fried Bacon (Megavideo)
- Recipezaar - Chicken Fried Bacon with Cream Gravy
Bacon DishesAngels on horseback · Bacon and cabbage · Bacon and egg pie · Bacon and eggs (full breakfast) · Bacon bits · Bacon ice cream · Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich · Bacon Explosion · Baconnaise · Bacon sandwich · Baconator · BLT sandwich · Chicken fried bacon · Chivito · Chocolate-covered bacon · Clams casino · Cobb salad · Coddle · Čvarci · Fool's Gold Loaf · Garbure · Guanciale · Hangtown fry · Hoppin' John · Hot Brown · Jambonette · Kranjska klobasa · Kugelis · Luther Burger · Maple bacon donut · Oysters en brochette · Peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich · Pig candy · Pigs in a blanket · Pīrags · Rouladen · Rumaki · Samgyeopsal · Seven-layer salad · Slavink · Stargazy pie · Stegt flæsk · Szalonna · Tatws Pum Munud · Túrós csusza DrinksBacon martini · Bacon vodka · Mitch Morgan · BLT cocktail TopicsBacon Bowl · Bacon mania · International Bacon Day · J&D's Down Home Enterprises · Heather Lauer · Turkey bacon · Vallée d'Aoste Lard d'Arnad · Vegetarian bacon BooksBacon: A Love Story · The Bacon Cookbook · Bacon and Hams · The BLT Cookbook · Don't Forget the Bacon! · Everything Tastes Better with Bacon · I Love Bacon! · Seduced by Bacon Deep-fried foods
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chicken fried bacon — con gravy. El chicken fried bacon (‘panceta rebozada’) consiste en tiras de panceta mojadas en rebozado y fritas, al estilo del chicken fried steak (‘filete campero frito’). Es una receta estadounidense introducida en Texas a principios de los… … Wikipedia Español
Chicken fried steak — Chicken fried steak, served with mashed potatoes (topped with cream gravy) and baked beans Origin Alternative name(s) Country fried steak … Wikipedia
Chicken fried steak — servido con puré de patatas (con gravy crema) y baked beans. El chicken fried steak (en inglés ‘filete frito como un pollo’), también conocido como pan fried steak (‘filete frito en sartén’)[1 … Wikipedia Español
Bacon — This article is about the cured meat. For other uses, see Bacon (disambiguation). Uncooked pork belly bacon strips. Bacon is a cured meat prepared … Wikipedia
Fried chicken — This article is about fried chicken in the cuisine of the Southern United States. For fried chicken in the Cantonese cuisine of Southern China and Hong Kong, see crispy fried chicken. For fried chicken prepared Korea style, see Korean fried… … Wikipedia
Bacon sandwich — Two pieces of brown bread, butter and a larger than typical amount of bacon, assembled to form a bacon sandwich. A bacon sandwich (also known in the United Kingdom as a bacon sarnie, bacon butty/buttie, bacon bap, bacon barm or bacon cob; and as… … Wikipedia
Chicken sandwich — Chicken Burger A chicken burger Dish details Course served Main course Serving temperature Hot … Wikipedia
Chicken (food) — Chicken Oven roasted rosemary and lemon chicken Dish details … Wikipedia
Chicken Treat — Type Fast Food Industry Restaurants Founded 1974 Headquarters Western Australia Key people Frank Romano Products … Wikipedia
Chicken Cordon Bleu — This article is about Chicken Cordon Bleu. For other uses of Cordon Bleu , see Cordon Bleu (disambiguation). Not to be confused with Corbin Bleu. Chicken Cordon Bleu is a popular dish of boneless chicken breast pounded and rolled around a pork… … Wikipedia