- Chaz Bono
Chaz Bono, 2010
Born Chastity Sun Bono changed to Chaz Salvatore Bono, 2010
March 4, 1969
Los Angeles, California, US
Nationality American Occupation Actor, writer, musician, activist Years active 1972–present Known for Sonny & Cher's only child together, LGBT activism, writing, acting Parents Sonny Bono, Cher
Chaz Salvatore Bono (born Chastity Sun Bono; March 4, 1969) is an American transgender advocate, writer, actor, and musician. Bono is the only child of American entertainers Sonny and Cher, though each had children from other relationships. Bono is a transgender man.
In 1995, after several years of being outed as lesbian by the tabloid press, Bono publicly self-identified as such in a cover story in a leading American gay monthly magazine, The Advocate. Bono went on to discuss the process of coming out to oneself and to others in two books. Family Outing: A Guide to the Coming Out Process for Gays, Lesbians, and Their Families (1998) includes the author's coming out account. The memoir, The End of Innocence (2003) discusses the author's outing, music career, and partner Joan's death from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Between 2008 and 2010, Bono underwent female-to-male gender transition. A two-part Entertainment Tonight feature in June 2009 explained that Bono's transition had started a year before. In May 2010, Bono legally changed gender and name. A documentary on Bono's experience, Becoming Chaz, was screened at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and later made its television debut on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network.
Early life and education
Bono is the only child of Cher and Sonny Bono of the pop duo Sonny & Cher, stars of a TV variety show on which the young child often appeared. Bono was named Chastity Sun Bono after the film Chastity, which was produced by Sonny and in which Cher (in her first feature film) played a bisexual woman.
Bono came out to both parents as lesbian at age 18. In Family Outing, Bono wrote that, "as a child, I always felt there was something different about me. I'd look at other girls my age and feel perplexed by their obvious interest in the latest fashion, which boy in class was the cutest, and who looked the most like cover girl Christie Brinkley. When I was 13, I finally found a name for exactly how I was different. I realized I was gay."
Bono began a short music career with the band Ceremony, which released one album, Hang Out Your Poetry, in 1993. The band featured Bono on vocals, acoustic guitar, and percussion. Other members were Steve March Tormé (backup vocals), Heidi Shink a.k.a. Chance, Pete McRae, Steve Bauman, Louis Ruiz, and Bryn Mathieu. All but one of the band's songs were written or co-written by Bono, Shink, and Mark Hudson. They used no synthesizers or digital effects on the album; Shink noted, "We turned our back on technology. [ ... ] It's reminiscent of the 60s, but more a tip of the hat than emulating it. We took the music we love and rejuvenated it, made it 90's."
The song "Could've Been Love" was released as a single from the album. The album's other tracks are "Goodbye Sunshine", "Steal Your Heart", "Day by Day", "Ready for Love", "Ready for Love (Refrain)", "Hang Out Your Poetry", "Turn It Over", "Trust", "2 of 1", "First Day of My Life", "Breathless", "Living in a Paradise", and "Livin' It Up". Sonny and Cher recorded backing vocals (uncredited) for the last song.
In April 1995, Bono came out as lesbian in an interview with The Advocate, a national gay and lesbian magazine. The 1998 book Family Outing detailed how Bono's coming out "catapulted me into a political role that has transformed my life, providing me with affirmation as a lesbian, as a woman, and as an individual." In the same book, Bono reported that Cher, who was both a gay icon and ally to LGBT communities, was quite uncomfortable with the news at first, and "went ballistic" before coming to terms with it: "By August 1996, one year after I came out publicly, my mother had progressed so far that she agreed to 'come out' herself on the cover of The Advocate as the proud mother of a lesbian daughter." Cher has since become an outspoken LGBT rights activist.
Bono's paternal relationship became strained after Sonny became a Republican Congressman from California. The differences in their political views separated them, and the two had not spoken for more than a year at the time of Sonny's fatal skiing accident in January 1998.
Bono worked as a writer at large for The Advocate. As a social activist, Bono became a spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign, promoted National Coming Out Day, campaigned for the reelection of Bill Clinton for US President, campaigned against the Defense of Marriage Act, and served as Entertainment Media Director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). Bono was a team captain for Celebrity Fit Club 3 (2006) and was supported by girlfriend Jennifer Elia, who orchestrated exercise and training sessions.
In mid-2008, Bono began undergoing a physical and social gender transition from female to male. This was confirmed in June 2009 by his publicist, who identified Bono's preferred name as Chaz Bono and said, "It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his coming out did." GLAAD and the Empowering Spirits Foundation were quick to offer praise and support for the announcement. Bono's legal transition was completed on May 7, 2010, when a California court granted his request for a gender and name change. He chose the name "Chaz Salvatore Bono" in honor of his parents. Bono made Becoming Chaz, a documentary film about his gender transition that premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network acquired the rights to the documentary and debuted it on May 10, 2011.
- Family Outing (with Billie Fitzpatrick) (1998) ISBN 0-316-10233-4
- The End of Innocence: A Memoir (with Michele Kort) (2003) ISBN 1-55583-795-6
- Bono, Chaz, and Billie Fitzpatrick. Transition: the story of how I became a man. New York: Dutton, 2011. Print.
- ^ Cher's son now officially a man news.bbc.co.uk'.' Retrieved 11-05-2010.
- ^ "Chastity Bono Undergoing Gender Change". TV Guide. 2009-06-11. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Chastity-Bono-Gender-1006849.aspx. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ^ "Chastity Bono is Chaz Bono". Right Celebrity. 2009-06-11. http://tv.rightcelebrity.com/?p=2752. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ^ a b c d Marcus, Lydia (2006-03-21). "Interview with Chastity Bono". AfterEllen. http://www.afterellen.com/archive/ellen/People/2006/3/chastity.html. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- ^ a b c "Chaz Bono", June 15–16, 2009, Entertainment Tonight.
- ^ a b "Chaz Bono granted gender and name change". Fox News Channel. 2010-05-06. http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/05/06/chaz-bono-granted-gender-and-name-change/.
- ^ Chaz Bono Documentary To Debut On OWN
- ^ Bryant, Wayne, M. (1996). Bisexual Characters in Film, from Anaïs to Zee. Haworth Press. p. 117. ISBN 978-0789001429
- ^ Bono, Chaz (as Chastity); Fitzpatrick, Billy (1998). Family Outing. New York: Little, Brown. p. vii. ISBN 0316102334.
- ^ Live Al Stewart, Metronews Music Review, December 22, 1993
- ^ a b Freydkin, Donna (1998-10-14). "Chastity Bono opens up about coming out". CNN. http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9810/14/bono.out.cnn/index.html. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- ^ a b Bono, Chaz (as Chastity); Fitzpatrick, Billy (1998). Family Outing. New York: Little, Brown. p. viii. ISBN 0316102334.
- ^ Bono, Chaz (as Chastity); Fitzpatrick, Billy (1998). Family Outing. New York: Little, Brown. p. 207. ISBN 0316102334.
- ^ "I prefer him as a man: Chaz Bono's girlfriend Jennifer Elia speaks out about his sex change as the pair discuss wedding plans". Daily Mail (London). 2011-05-13. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1386590/I-prefer-man-Chaz-Bonos-girlfriend-Jennifer-Elia-speaks-sex-change-pair-discuss-wedding-plans.html?ito=feeds-newsxml.
- ^ "Chastity Bono Undergoing Gender Change". seattlepi.com. June 11, 2009. http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/407128_tvgif11.html.
- ^ "GLAAD--Bravo to Bono". TMZCNN. 2009-06-11. http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/11/glaad-bonos-decision-an-important-step-forward/. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ^ "ESF Applauds Chastity Bono's Gender Transition Announcement" (PDF). Empowering Spirits Foundation Press Release. 2009-06-11. http://www.empoweringspirits.org/PRDocServer/Chaz_Bono_061109.pdf. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- ^ "Chaz Bono, Cher's child, becomes a man after Southern Californian judges grants gender change". Herald Sun. 2010-05-07. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/chaz-bono-chers-child-becomes-a-man-after-southern-californian-judges-grants-gender-change/story-e6frf96o-1225863716265. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- ^ "Cher berates 'bigots' attack on son's role in TV show". BBC News. 2011-09-02. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14760706.
- The Official Chaz Bono Website
- Chaz Bono at the Internet Movie Database
- Allmusic.com entry on Bono's band Ceremony
Cher Albums · Singles · Filmography · Tours · Videography · Unreleased songs · Awards Studio albumsAll I Really Want to Do · The Sonny Side of Chér · Chér · With Love, Chér · Backstage · 3614 Jackson Highway · Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves · Foxy Lady · Bittersweet White Light · Half-Breed · Dark Lady · Stars · I'd Rather Believe in You · Cherished · Take Me Home · Prisoner · Black Rose · I Paralyze · Cher · Heart of Stone · Love Hurts · It's a Man's World · Believe · not.com.mercial · Living Proof Compilations Soundtracks Other albums Videos Concert tours TelevisionThe Cher Show · Cher... Special · Cher... and Other Fantasies · Sonny & Me: Cher Remembers Films MerchandiseMego Sonny & Cher Toys · Uninhibited · 9: The Last Resort Related articles Book · Category · Portal Dancing with the Stars (U.S. season 13)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Chaz Bono — (2010) Chaz Bono (* 4. März 1969 in Los Angeles, Kalifornien als Chastity Sun Bono) ist ein US amerikanischer Schauspieler sowie Aktivist der Lesben und Schwulenbewegung. Er kam als Tochter des Popduos Sonny Bono und Cher auf die Welt und erhielt … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chaz Bono — Chaz Salvatore Bono Nacimiento … Wikipedia Español
Chaz — can refer to Chaz, the ultimate Bauce, he fucks shiv up mother fathers Chaz, a nickname for Charles Chaz, the off white plasticine sidekick of the terracotta Morph from UK children s television Chaz PsyKoticz, an American Professional Deathmatch… … Wikipedia
Bono (Begriffsklärung) — Bono ist der Name mehrerer Personen: Bono (* 1960), Künstlername des irischen Sängers Paul Hewson Alain Bono (* 1983), kamerunischer Fußballspieler Chaz Bono (* 1969),geboren als Chastity Sun Bono, amerikanischer Schauspieler Edward de Bono (*… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mary Bono Mack — Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from California s 45th district Incumbent … Wikipedia
Sonny Bono — Datos generales Nombre real Salvatore Phillip Bono Nacimiento 16 de febrero de … Wikipedia Español
Dancing with the Stars (U.S. season 13) — Dancing with the Stars (Season 13) Promotional advertisement for the 13th season of Dancing with the Stars Country United States Network ABC … Wikipedia
Cher — This article is about the entertainer. For other uses, see Cher (disambiguation). Cher Cher at the London premiere of Burlesque in 2011 Background information Birth name … Wikipedia
Cher — Cher … Wikipedia Español
Боно, Чез — Чез Боно в 2010 году Чез Салваторе Боно (англ. Chaz Salvatore Bono, урождённый Честити Сан Боно (англ. … Википедия