- Chartered Institute of Taxation, Ghana
Chartered Institute of Taxation, Ghana Formation 2 May 1980 Type Professional association Official languages English President Felix Ahima-Adonteng Affiliations West African Union of Tax Institutes Website http://www.taxghana.org/
The Chartered Institute of Taxation, Ghana (CITG) is the regulator of the practice of taxation in Ghana. It is the only body in Ghana that can certify tax professionals.
The institute began operating as a professional body in 1978, and the Ghana Institute of Taxation was incorporated as a limited company on 2 May 1980. It became the Chartered Institute of Taxation on 8 February 2001. As of 2011 a draft bill was in the works to incorporate the CITG through act of parliament. The CITG and the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) were the co-founders of the West African Union of Tax Institutes (WAUTI), launched in May 2011, with the objective of developing and promoting the taxation profession in West Africa.
In April 2010 Yaw Asante-Boadi, President of the CITG noted that a draft tax education and training bill was before Cabinet. The goal was to streamline training of tax practitioners in the country. He noted the importance of such training, and said the law would eventually require that all tax practitioners had gone through a full course in taxation. The CITG conducts examinations twice a year. In 2011 it was undertaking a major review of the syllabus. It had also signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Zenith University College to provide tuition in taxation for students wanting to enter the profession.
In September 2009 members of the Executive Council of the CITG called on recently-elected President John Atta Mills, who is himself an expert on taxation. Mills talked of the need for local tax experts to be motivated, and said "We would rely and utilize the store of knowledge that you have so that together we can build a better Ghana. There is hope. We need the money to drive the economy. We’ll be calling on you for your advice". The CITG President Yaw Asante Boadi replied that the group would support any reforms. He called for speeding up the process of passing the Taxation Bill. In September 2010 Alex Tettey-Enyo, the Minister of Education, spoke at the CITG's annual tax celebration in Accra. He called on the institute to increase the number of tax professionals so as to increase the economy's revenue generation, noting the deficit of trained tax experts in the country. He also asked the CITG to monitor the performance of their members and to provide continuous professional education to update their knowledge of new laws, and to establish high ethical standards for tax practitioners.
- ^ "Chartered Institute of Taxation (Ghana)". Chartered Institute of Taxation (Ghana). http://www.taxghana.org/. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- ^ a b G. D. Zaney (12 January 2011). "A Viable Tax System For Ghana – The Role Of The Chartered Institute Of Taxation, Ghana". Ghana Government. http://www.ghana.gov.gh/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4413:a-viable-tax-system-for-ghana-the-role-of-the-chartered-institute-of-taxation-ghana&catid=24:features&Itemid=167. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- ^ "Welcome to WAUTI". WAUTI. http://www.wauti.org/index.php. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- ^ "Tax practitioners will soon need proper certification to practice". Ghana news Agency. 13th April 2010. http://www.ghananewsagency.org/details/Economics/Tax-practitioners-will-soon-need-proper-certification-to-practice/?ci=3&ai=14419. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- ^ "President Mills, A Tax Expert, Calls For Review Of Ghana’s Tax Collection System". Cedi Post. September 10, 2009. http://www.cedipost.com/general/president-mills-a-tax-expert-calls-for-review-of-ghanas-tax-collection-system.html. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- ^ "Ghana tax experts asked to device schemes to wean country off donor support". Ghana Business News. September 7, 2010. http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2010/09/07/ghana-tax-experts-asked-to-device-schemes-to-wean-country-off-donor-support/. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Institute of Public Accountants — For the American professional association under this name from 1917 to 1957, see American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Formation January 1, 1923 ( … Wikipedia
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants — Infobox Company company name = The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) company company type = British chartered accountancy body foundation = flagicon|UK [England, UK] (1904) company slogan = ACCA Accountancy s uncommon… … Wikipedia
John Atta-Mills — Infobox President | name=John Atta Mills imagesize = caption = order =2nd Vice President of Ghana 4th Republic term start =January, 1997 term end =January 7, 2001 vicepresident = viceprimeminister= deputy = president =Jerry John Rawlings… … Wikipedia
Accountancy — [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accountancy , dictionary.com] or accounting is the measurement, statement, or provision of assurance about financial information primarily used by lenders, managers, investors, tax authorities and other… … Wikipedia
Economic Affairs — ▪ 2006 Introduction In 2005 rising U.S. deficits, tight monetary policies, and higher oil prices triggered by hurricane damage in the Gulf of Mexico were moderating influences on the world economy and on U.S. stock markets, but some other… … Universalium
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
Washington, D.C. — This article is about the place. For the novel, see Washington, D.C. (novel). Washington, D.C. Federal district … Wikipedia
Economy of the People's Republic of China — Economies of Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau are administered separately from the rest of People s Republic of China. Therefore, the information below pertains only to mainland China unless specified otherwise. For the… … Wikipedia
United States — a republic in the N Western Hemisphere comprising 48 conterminous states, the District of Columbia, and Alaska in North America, and Hawaii in the N Pacific. 267,954,767; conterminous United States, 3,022,387 sq. mi. (7,827,982 sq. km); with… … Universalium
environment — environmental, adj. environmentally, adv. /en vuy reuhn meuhnt, vuy euhrn /, n. 1. the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu. 2. Ecol. the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other external factors… … Universalium