- Chaplin family
The Chaplin family is an English/American/Swiss acting family. There are the descendants of Hannah Chaplin, chiefly known as the mother of Charlie Chaplin, the Academy Award-winning English comedic actor and filmmaker. Hannah Chaplin's mother was half-Roma (Gypsy). Hannah had 3 sons but Charlie was the only son of her marriage to Charles Spencer Chaplin, an English Music Hall entertainer who was an alcoholic and had little to do with his son. Hannah's first son Sydney was born before her marriage and the third George Wheeler Dryden resulted from an affair. The three sons of Hannah became actors and many of their descendents have also acted. The first three wives of Charlie Chaplin were actresses, and his fourth wife, Oona, gave up a potential acting career when she married. Several of his children made appearances in his later films.
The members of the Chaplin family include:
- Sydney Chaplin (1885-1965), son of Hannah Chaplin; born Sydney John Hill; 2 marriages, no children.
- Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977), son of Charles Spencer Chaplin Sr. (1863-1901) and Hannah Chaplin; 4 marriages, 6 sons, 5 daughters.
- (i) Mildred Harris (1901-1944), 1 son.
- Norman Spencer Chaplin (1919-1919), died 3 days after birth.
- (ii) Lita Grey (1908-1995), 2 sons.
- Charles Chaplin, Jr. (1925-1968), 1 marriage; 1 daughter
- Susan Maree Chaplin
- Laurissa Maree Chaplin Newton
- Allison Mary Chaplin Newton
- Tyler David Chaplin Newton
- Casey Jackson Chaplin Newton
- Sydney Earle Chaplin (1926-2009), 2 marriages; 1 son,
- Stephan Chaplin, by French dancer and actor Noëlle Adam
- Tamara Chaplin
- (iii) Paulette Goddard (1910-1990), no children.
- (iv) Oona O'Neill (1925-1991), daughter of American playwright Eugene O'Neill; 3 sons, 5 daughters.
- Geraldine Chaplin (born 1944)
- Michael Chaplin (born 1946), married Patricia Betaudier.
- Kathleen Chaplin (born 1975)
- Dolores Chaplin (born 1979)
- Carmen Chaplin
- George Chaplin
- Josephine Chaplin (born 1949)
- Julien Ronet, (born 1980) by French actor Maurice Ronet.
- Victoria Chaplin (born 1951), married Jean-Baptiste Thiérrée.
- Eugene Anthony Chaplin (born 1953), married Bernadette McCready.
- Kiera Chaplin (born 1982)
- Jane Cecil Chaplin (born 1957), married film producer Ilya Salkind.. Jane was born in Switzerland, she currently lives in Cartagena de Indias - Colombia, and she received Colombian citizenship on July 6, 2008. 2 children:
- Orson Salkind (born 1986)
- Osceola Salkind (born 1994)
- Annette Emily Chaplin (born 1959)
- Christopher Chaplin (born 1962)
- George Wheeler Dryden (1892-1957), son of Leo Dryden and Hannah Chaplin; married ballerina Alice Chapple; 1 son.
- ^ Charlie Chaplin, My Autobiography, page 19. Quoted in "The Religious Affiliation of Charlie Chaplin". Adherents.com. 2005. http://www.adherents.com/people/pc/Charlie_Chaplin.html.
- ^ Obituary:Sidney Chaplin, The Guardian, 10 March 2009. Retrieved on 22 July 2010.
- ^ People Magazine, 2 October 1978. Retrieved on 11 June 2009.
- ^ Oona Chaplin at Internet Movie Database.
- ^ Aurélia Thierree, BFI Film & TV database. Retrieved 10 March 2009.
- ^ Jane Chaplin at Internet Movie Database
- ^ News item, 3 March 1994, Variety. Retrieved 8 March 2009
Charlie Chaplin's wives Charlie Chaplin's children Charlie Chaplin's grandchildren include Charlie Chaplin's great-grandchildren includeTamara Chaplin · Laurissa Newton · Allison Newton · Tyler Newton · Casey Newton
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chaplin (name) — Chaplin is a surname of English, Ukrainian and Belarusian origin. Surnames of English origin are derived from the occupational name for a clergyman, while Ukrainian and Belarusian uses are derived from chaplya, meaning ‘heron’ or ‘stork’. The… … Wikipedia
Chaplin Estates, Toronto — Infobox City official name = Chaplin Estates (part of Yonge Eglinton) subdivision type2 = Country subdivision name2 = Canada subdivision type1 = Province subdivision name1 = Ontario subdivision type = City subdivision name = Toronto mapsize=150px … Wikipedia
Chaplin, Connecticut — Town Seal … Wikipedia
Chaplin's Barbet — Conservation status Vulnerable (IUCN 3.1 … Wikipedia
Chaplin — This interesting surname with variant spellings Chaplain, Chapling, Caplen, Kaplin etc., is of French origin, found also in England, deriving from the old Norman French word caplain and old French and medieval English word chapelain , meaning… … Surnames reference
Charlie Chaplin — For other people named Charles Chaplin, see Charles Chaplin (disambiguation). Charlie Chaplin … Wikipedia
Charles Chaplin, Jr. — Charles Chaplin, Jr. Birth name Charles Spencer Chaplin Jr. Born 5 May 1925(1925 05 05) Beverly Hills, California, US Died 20 March 1968(1968 03 20) (aged 42) Hollywood, California … Wikipedia
Christopher Chaplin — Born Christopher James Chaplin July 6, 1962(1962 07 06) Corsier sur Vevey, Switzerland Occupation Composer and actor Christopher James Chaplin (born 6 July 1962 in Corsier sur Vevey, Switzerland) i … Wikipedia
Michael Chaplin (actor) — Michael Chaplin (born 7 March 1946) is an English American actor born in Santa Monica, California. He is the second child and eldest son from Charlie Chaplin s fourth and final marriage to Oona O Neill. He acted in his father s films Limelight… … Wikipedia
Daniel Chaplin — Col. Daniel Chaplin (1820 1864) was a Union officer in the American Civil War who died in battle and was posthumously made a Major General. Under Chaplin s command, the ill fated charge of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery Regiment against… … Wikipedia