It can also refer to women who have an inflated opinion of themselves, draw attention to themselves in ways that disrupt groupness, don't heed others advice, or who act in a self-serving or self-promoting way.
The term 'akava'ine is a prefix of "aka" (to be or to behave like) and "va'ine" (woman).
Sometimes the word laelae is also used, typically when implying criticism or ridicule of feminine behaviour displayed by a man, for example being described as effeminate or homosexual. Laelae is the colloquial Cook Islands term; the word tutuva'ine (meaning "like a woman") is used less frequently. Homosexuality is illegal for males in the Cook Islands.
Culturally, akava'ines have been around for centuries. And they've always been part of the family, part of the village, and part of the tribe. But when the missionaries came, things changed quite dramatically for everyone in the Pacific Islands, and the Cook Islands were no exception. In the 1800s they started bringing in homophobic and transphobic attitudes.
- ^ Dancing from the heart: movement, gender, and Cook Islands globalization By Kalissa Alexeyeff p. 88 Google Books
- ^ Cook Islands Maori dictionary By Jasper Buse, Raututi Taringa p. 51 Google Books
- ^ Dancing from the heart: movement, gender, and Cook Islands globalization By Kalissa Alexeyeff p. 89 Google Books
- ^ Cook Islands Maori dictionary By Jasper Buse, Raututi Taringa p. 43 Google Books
- ^ Dancing from the heart: movement, gender, and Cook Islands globalization By Kalissa Alexeyeff Google Books
- ^ Dancing from the heart: movement, gender, and Cook Islands globalization By Kalissa Alexeyeff pg 179 Google Books
- ^ LGBT World legal wrap up survey International Lesbian and Gay Association (2006) p. 4
- ^ Supporting our sisters in the Pacific By Matt Akersten - 12th August 2008
- Dancing from the heart: movement, gender, and Cook Islands globalization. By Kalissa Alexeyeff, University of Hawaii Press (2009)
- Cook Islands Maori dictionary. By Jasper Buse with Raututi Taringa, edited by Bruce Biggs and Rangi Moeka'a, published by The Ministry of Education, Government of the Cook Islands (1995)
- LGBT rights in the Cook Islands
- List of transgender-related topics
- A video clip from TVNZ news: Rarotongan Queens put on a performance promoting respect in Rarotonga (2008)
Gender and sexual identities Gender identities Third sex / Third gender Sexual orientation identities See also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lesbian — This article is about the sexual orientation. For other uses, see Lesbian (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Two-Spirit — Transgender topics Identities Androgyne · Genderqueer Hijra · Third gender / Third sex Transgender · Trans man Trans woman · Trigender · Two Spirit Queer heterose … Wikipedia
Androgyny — For other uses, see Androgyny (disambiguation). Androgyny is a term derived from the Greek words ανήρ, stem ανδρ (anér, andr , meaning man) and γυνή (gyné, meaning woman), referring to the combination of masculine and feminine characteristics.… … Wikipedia
Non-heterosexual — Gay and lesbian families, like these in a 2007 pride parade, are unlikely to label themselves non heterosexual although researchers do so for a variety of reasons. Non heterosexual is an umbrella term … Wikipedia
Gay — This article is about gay as a term. For homosexuality, see Homosexuality. For other uses, see Gay (disambiguation). Part of a series on Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people … Wikipedia
Homosexuality — Sexual orientation Orientations Asexual · Bisexual · Heterosexual · Homosexual … Wikipedia
Girlfag and guydyke — Cross dressing History of cross dressing Breeches role · Breeching Travesti · In film and television … Wikipedia
Christianity and homosexuality — Part of a series on LGBT topics and Christianity Christianity and homosexuality Christianity and transgenderism History of Christianity and homosexuality The Bible and homosexuality Queer theology Blessing of same sex unions Ordination of LGBT… … Wikipedia
Don't ask, don't tell — DADT redirects here. For the television syndication company, see Disney ABC Domestic Television. For other uses, see Don t ask, don t tell (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Hate crime — Race hate redirects here. For the song by Eddy Grant, see Message Man. This article is about the crime. For the film by this name, see Hate Crime (film). Part of a series on Discriminat … Wikipedia