- Against All Odds (N-Dubz album)
Against All Odds Studio album by N-Dubz Released 13 November 2009 (Ireland)
16 November 2009 (UK)
Recorded 2008–2009 Genre R&B, british hip hop, grime Length 44:23 Label All Around the World Producer Richard Rawson & Dino Contostavlos N-Dubz chronology Uncle B
Against All Odds
Singles from Against All Odds
- "I Need You"
Released: 9 November 2009
- "Playing with Fire"
Released: 18 January 2010
- "Say It's Over"
Released: 19 April 2010
Following the release of Uncle B, Tulisa told the Daily Star: "We have just taken a quick break. We're having fun since our return to the studio, and the album is sounding good." She revealed that the group have adopted unusual work patterns while making the new record: "We normally work till 5am - I come alive at midnight, like a vampire." She added that the group had recorded a song called "Shoulda Put Something On", a track about teenage pregnancy, for the album. "It is about a young couple arguing whether to keep their unplanned baby. It's not something any of us have been through personally. But everyone knows someone who has. The three of us wrote down our different perspectives and we based the song around that. It's our favourite track on the album." The group were rumoured to be recording a song with Kylie Minogue for the album, after she expressed praise for their debut album Uncle B, however, Tulisa denied the rumours. The group announced that the album would be released on November 16, 2009, before revealing the album title. When covering for Semtex on BBC Radio 1Xtra, Fazer and Tulisa stated that their former manager, Dappy's father (Byron Contostavlos), wanted Against All Odds to be the title of their debut album, but after his death, they changed it to Uncle B in memory of him and so Against All Odds was the title for their second album. They also confirm this in the album booklet. The album includes six different collaborations, including an updated version of the Tinchy Stryder's single "Number 1". Stryder's first verse was kept, but new verses by Tulisa and Fazer were recorded. The album was mixed at The Chairworks in Castleford Yorkshire by Kelvin Avon. The album has sold over 200,000 copies.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  BBC (positive)  Entertainment.ie  Guardian  Digital Spy  The Times 
The album had received mixed to positive reviews from critics. Entertainment.ie gave the album one star out of five. The review stated, "The problem is that their brand of music is such lowest-common-denominator stuff that it manages to offend even those that it's aimed at through its sheer awfulness. With a debut album ('Uncle B') that went platinum in less than a year, all the trio needed to do was write a quick follow-up to cash in on their popularity, and they’ve done exactly that. There's little creativity involved in these grimy tunes, smothered in layers of synthesized vocals and rapid-fire raps". The Guardian gave it a mainly positive review, although they felt the album was "hardly exploding with originality, and the various references to Facebook, their beef with Swag Blanket and how many records they've sold do date". It finished by saying that "N-Dubz are bound to be inescapable in 2010 – most probably because they will be being blasted out of a mobile phone on the bus". Digital Spy gave the album a solid 4/5 review.
No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length 1. "Against All Odds" (Intro) N-Dubz Fazer, Dappy 0:57 2. "I Need You" N-Dubz Fazer, Dappy 3:20 3. "Playing with Fire" (featuring Mr Hudson) N-Dubz, Benjamin McIldowie Fazer, Dappy 3:47 4. "Say It's Over" N-Dubz, Mazer Fazer, Dappy, Mazer 3:44 5. "Na Na" (featuring Wiley) N-Dubz, Wiley, Mazer Fazer, Dappy, Mazer 3:31 6. "Shoulda Put Something On" N-Dubz Fazer, Dappy 3:35 7. "Duku Man" (featuring Fearless) Dappy, Fearless Fazer, Dappy, Mazer 2:24 8. "I Don't Wanna Go To Sleep" N-Dubz Fazer, Dappy 3:20 9. "Suck Yourself" (featuring Chipmunk) Dappy, Fazer, Jahmaal Fyffe Fazer, Dappy, Mazer 4:24 10. "No One Knows" N-Dubz, Gary Barlow Fazer, Dappy 3:23 11. "Number 1" (New Version) (featuring Tinchy Stryder) N-Dubz, Kwasi Danquah Fraser T. Smith 3:33 12. "Comfortable" Tulisa Contosavlos Fazer 4:08 13. "Let Me Be" (featuring Nivo) N-Dubz, Evangelis Klemis Evangelis Klemis 3:39 14. "Against All Odds" (Outro) N-Dubz Fazer, Dappy 0:49
The group confirmed in an interview that the booklet will include several features along with the album If a buyer logs on the "3D" page of the N-Dubz website and faces the back of the album booklet to their webcam, the trio will appear standing on the booklet and perform "I Need You". The group call the booklet a "N-Dubz magazine", which includes the following:
- N-Dubz Glossary
- Exclusive Interviews
- Tour Must Haves
- We Love Our Adidas
- N-Dubz Look
- Behind The Scenes ("I Need You" and "Playing With Fire")
- Thank You's
- Family Tree
- Private Picture Gallery
- Tim Aluo – Guitar
- Amir Amor – Additional Production, Engineer, Vocal Engineer
- Kelvin "Afreex" Avon – Engineer, Mixing
- Gary Barlow – Composer
- Jason Brooks – Bass
- Rich Castillo – A&R, Management
- Chipmunk – Composer
- Dino Contostavlos – Composer, Producer
- Tula Contostavlos – Composer
- Dean Coulson – Assistant
- Kwasi Danquah – Composer
- Junior Edwards – Composer, Producer
- Engine – Artwork – Design
- Anthony Evolko – Composer
- Aaron "Breakbeat" Fagan – Drums
- Tom Fuller – Bass Engineer, Drum Engineering, Engineer, Mixing, Piano, Vocal Engineer
- Simon Gogerly – Mixing
- Evangelis Klemis – Composer, Producer
- Ian McManus – Photography
- Mr. Hudson – Composer
- James Mottershead – Assistant Engineer, Mixing Assistant
- Ross Parkin – Vocal Engineer
- Richard Rawson – Composer, Producer
- Harry Rutherford – Editing, Engineer, Guitar Engineer, Vocal Engineer
- Jonathan Shalit – Management
- Frasier T. Smith – Composer, Producer
- Adam Swales – Drums
Chart (2009) Peak
Certification(s) Irish Album Chart 39 UK Album Chart 6 Platinum
- ^ Release date. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- ^ Music - News - N-Dubz 'working hard on new album' - Digital Spy
- ^ Music - News - N-Dubz pen teenage pregnancy song - Digital Spy
- ^ Music - News - Kylie 'to collaborate with N-Dubz' - Digital Spy
- ^ YouTube - N Dubz set the record straight on working with Kylie Minogue
- ^ "By eck tDubz get mobbed by kids". The Sun (London). 15 October 2009. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2683056/N-Dubz-mobbed-on-northern-retreat.html.
- ^ Jon, Review: Against All Odds. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2011-08-07.
- ^ BBC - Music - Review of N-Dubz - Against All Odds
- ^ a b "N-Dubz: Against All Odds Review". Entertainment.ie. http://entertainment.ie/album-review/N-Dubz-Against-All-Odds/6696.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- ^ a b Dean, Will (13 November 2009). "N-Dubz: Against All Odds CD Review". London: Guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/13/n-dubz-against-all-odds. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- ^ Digital Spy review
- ^ Paphides, Pete (13 November 2009). "NDubz Against All Odds". The Times (London). http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/cd_reviews/article6914149.ece.
- ^ Special features interview.
- ^ Someone demonstrating how to use the 3D feature
- ^ "N-Dubz magazine" within the booklet
- ^ Against All Odds credits Allmusic. Retrieved on 30 November 2010.
- ^ GFK Chart-Track
- ^ Leona Lewis gets second No. 1 album - Music News - Digital Spy
- ^ BPI certified awards search. Must search album title, bands name will not work.source is being n-dubz. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
N-Dubz Dappy · Tulisa · Fazer Uncle B"You Better Not Waste My Time" · "I Swear" · "Feva Las Vegas" · "Ouch" · "Papa Can You Hear Me?" · "Strong Again" · "Wouldn't You" Against All Odds"I Need You" · "Playing with Fire" · "Say It's Over" Love.Live.Life"We Dance On" · "Best Behaviour" · "Girls" · "So Alive" Featured singles ToursUncle B Tour · N-Dubz Christmas Party · The Against All Odds Tour Related articles
- "I Need You"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
N-Dubz — performing at the BBC in 2009 Background … Wikipedia
N-Dubz discography — N Dubz discography N Dubz performing on their Uncle B tour. Releases ↙Studio albums 3 … Wikipedia
N-Dubz Christmas Party — Tour by N Dubz Location United Kingdom Associated album … Wikipedia
N-Dubz — La banda actuando en su gira Uncle B. Datos generales Origen Camden Town, Londres … Wikipedia Español
Chipmunk discography — Chipmunk discography Releases ↙Studio albums 2 ↙Singles 10 … Wikipedia
Love.Live.Life — This article is about the N Dubz album. For for the Zelda album and song, see Zelda (band). Love.Live.Life … Wikipedia
Dappy — Birth name Costadinos Contostavlos Born 11 June 1987 (1987 06 11) (age 24) Camden … Wikipedia
Number 1 (Tinchy Stryder song) — Number 1 Single by Tinchy Stryder featuring N Dubz from the album Catch 22 Against All Odds B side Stuck on … Wikipedia
Uncle B — Studio album by N Dubz Released 17 November 2008 … Wikipedia
We Dance On — Single by N Dubz featuring Bodyrox from the album Love.Live.Life and StreetDance … Wikipedia