- Breaking the Chains (album)
Breaking the Chains Studio album by Dokken Released September 18, 1983 Recorded Dierks Studios, Germany Genre Heavy metal, hard rock Length 36:24 Label Elektra Producer Michael Wagener and Dokken Dokken chronology Back in the Streets
Breaking the Chains
Tooth and Nail
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
Dokken released their first full-length album in 1983 although the group had been active since the late 1970s. The album reached number 136 on the Billboard 200. The title track was named the 62nd greatest hard rock song by VH1. The album was considered a flop by the Elektra label, which had the intention to drop the band. However, Dokken management convinced the label that they could make a more successful album, which materialized in Tooth and Nail in September 1984.
In 1981, the album was released as Breakin' the Chains on Carrere Records (France). This version contains some different mixes and titles of songs. "Paris Is Burning" is called "Paris" and is actually a studio version. The album also contained a song called "We're Illegal" which was later turned into "Live to Rock".
In a discussion with George Lynch on 1/26/2011, he mentioned the existence of 500 copies of the Carrere Records "Breaking the Chains" album printed with the Don Dokken moniker, instead of Dokken. This version also featured different album cover art. Lynch also mentioned that the bassist that actually played on the album was Peter Baltes (Accept).
The title track is on the radio station V-ROCK in the video game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
1981 Track listing
- "Breaking the Chains" - 3:51
- "Seven Thunders" - 3:43
- "I Can't See You" - 3:08
- "In the Middle" - 3:12
- "We're Illegal" - 3:39
- "Paris" - 3:13
- "Stick to Your Guns" - 3:55
- "Young Girls" - 3:14
- "Felony" - 3:25
- "Nightrider" - 5:07
1983 Track listing
- "Breaking the Chains" (Don Dokken/George Lynch) – 3:51
- "In the Middle" (G.Lynch/D.Dokken) – 3:44
- "Felony" (D. Dokken) – 3:07
- "I Can't See You" (D. Dokken/Juan Croucier) – 3:12
- "Live to Rock (Rock to Live)" (G. Lynch/J. Croucier/D. Dokken) – 3:38
- "Nightrider" (D. Dokken/Mick Brown/G. Lynch) – 3:13
- "Seven Thunders" (G.Lynch/M. Brown/D. Dokken) – 3:56
- "Young Girls" (G. Lynch/D. Dokken) – 3:14
- "Stick to Your Guns" (D. Dokken) – 3:24
- "Paris Is Burning [Live]" (G. Lynch/D. Dokken) – 5:08
- Don Dokken - Lead vocals/Rhythm guitars
- George Lynch - Lead guitars
- Juan Croucier - Bass/Backing vocals (credited but did not play)
- "Wild" Mick Brown - Drums/Backing vocals
- Peter Baltes - Bass
- Bobby Blotzer played drums on "Young Girls", "Stick to Your Guns", & "Paris Is Burning"
- Michael Wagener - producer, engineer, mixing
- Wyn Davis - mixing
- Joe Gastwirt - mastering
- ^ Breaking the Chains (album) at Allmusic
- ^ Breaking the Chains Allmusic
- ^ "AllMusic Billboard albums". http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Breaking_the_Chains_(Dokken_album)&action=submit. Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- ^ "spreadit.org music". http://music.spreadit.org/vh1-top-100-hard-rock-songs/. Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- ^ http://www.bravewords.com/news/164027
Studio albums EPs & Compilations Live & DVDs Singles Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Breaking the Chains — Album par Dokken Sortie 18 septembre 1983 Enregistrement Dieter Dierks, RFA Durée 36:24 Genre Heavy … Wikipédia en Français
Breaking the Chains — may refer to:* Breaking the Chains (Dokken album), a 1983 album by American heavy metal band Dokken * Breaking the Chains (song), a 1982 single by Dokken * Breaking the Chains (book), a 1992 history book by John Angarrack * Breaking the Chains… … Wikipedia
Breaking the Chains (Dokken album) — Infobox Album | Name = Breaking the Chains Type = studio Artist = Dokken Released = September 18, 1983 Recorded = Length = 36:24 Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|2|5 [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg sql=10:0zfyxqr5ldse link] Last album = Back… … Wikipedia
Unplugged (Alice in Chains album) — Infobox Album | Name = Unplugged Type = Live Album Artist = Alice in Chains Released = July 30, 1996 Recorded = April 10, 1996 on MTV Unplugged Genre = Grunge Length = 71:26 Label = Columbia Producer = Alice in Chains, Alex Coletti, Toby Wright,… … Wikipedia
The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) — The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III) … Wikipedia
The Best of Dokken — is a compilation album by the heavy metal band Dokken.It was only released in Japan.This is the only official CD release of the track Back For the Attack which was not included on the album of the same name.The song Back For The Attack was… … Wikipedia
The Very Best of Dokken — Infobox Album | Name = The Very Best of Dokken Type = Compilation Artist = Dokken Released = July 6, 1999 Recorded = 1983 1995 Label = Elektra Genre = Heavy metal Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|4.5|5 [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg… … Wikipedia
The Definitive Rock Collection — Infobox Album | Name = Dokken: The Definitive Rock Collection Type = compilation Artist = Dokken Released = 2006 Recorded = 1983 1995, 2004 Genre = heavy metal Length = 2:15:40 Label = Elektra Records/WEA Producer = Various Reviews = *Allmusic… … Wikipedia
Breaking Benjamin — performing in 2007. From left to right, Mark Klepaski, Benjamin Burnley and Aaron Fink. Background information Origin … Wikipedia
The Badlees — Promo Shot, 2009 Background information Origin Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, United States … Wikipedia