Solarroller is a BEAM
dragster photovore robotrun by solar panel that utlilizes sunlight. In competitions between solarrollers, each one must run one meterin the shortest timepossible. Components include pager motors, capacitors, resistors, transistors, and solar panels.
There are several different kinds of configurations of solarrollers, with bigger or smaller wheels, one or two motors. Configurations differences include:
* motor (number and output),
wheels (number and size), and
* frame designs
This robot type always moves forwards. The motor drives one or more wheels. A "
Solar Engine" circuit is used to feed the robot.Solarroller's speed is directly related to the amount of light robot registers on its optical sensor. Most are driven by an electronic " relaxation oscillator", in which a charge is accumulate in a capacitor while at rest and then suddenly released in the drive mechanism.
* "Simple Solaroller". Electronics Now, June, 1997.
* [http://library.solarbotics.net/apocrypha/pix/solaroller_circuits.gifSolarroller circuits] . Mark Tilden's hand-written notes (c. 1990), solarbotics.net.
* [http://library.solarbotics.net/apocrypha/pix/solaroller_mechanics.gifSolarroller mechanics] . Mark Tilden's hand-written notes (c. 1990), solarbotics.net.
* [http://www.solarbotics.net/bestiary/2420_solarroller_gal.html Solarbotics.net gallery of Solarrollers]
* [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beam/messages/ BEAM robotics Yahoo! group]
* [http://www.beam-online.com/Robots/Galleria_other/solarollers.html Beam-Online sollarrolers gallery with several different configurations]
* [http://www.robotgames.net/RobotGames/Event_Rules/2002-BEAM-solaroller.htm 2003 BEAM SolarRoller Race] , robotgames.net
* [http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Solar_roller Solarrollers on the BEAM Wiki]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mark Tilden — in September 2006 … Wikipedia
BEAM robotics — The word beam in BEAM robotics is an acronym for Biology, Electronics, Aesthetics, and Mechanics . This is a term that refers to a style of robotics that primarily uses simple analog circuits, such as comparators, instead of a microprocessor in… … Wikipedia
Phototrope — In BEAM robotics, a Phototrope is a robot that reacts to light sources. Literally, light turning, this term is generally (if somewhat inaccurately) applied to light seeking robots. More accurately, phototropes can either seek (photophiles) or… … Wikipedia
Crawler (BEAM) — In BEAM robotics, a Crawler is a robot that has a mode of locomotion by tracks or by transferring the robot s body on limbs or appendages. These do not drag parts of their body on the ground. Genera Turbots : Rolls over and over as a mode of … Wikipedia
Climber (BEAM) — In BEAM robotics, a Climber is a robot that goes upward or downward with gradual or continuous progress on a track (such as a rope or wire). v · … Wikipedia
Topic outline of robotics — Robotics is the science and technology of designing, making, and applying robots, including theory from many contributing fields. A robot is a mechanical or virtual, artificial . It is usually an electromechanical system, which, by its appearance … Wikipedia