- S&M (album)
S&M Live album by Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony Released November 23, 1999 Recorded April 21–22, 1999 at Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, California Genre Heavy metal, thrash metal, symphonic metal Length 133:02 Label Elektra, Vertigo Producer Bob Rock, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Michael Kamen Metallica live albums chronology Live Shit: Binge & Purge
Orgullo, Pasión y Gloria: Tres Noches en la Ciudad de México
Metallica video video chronology Cunning Stunts
Classic Albums: Metallica – Metallica
Singles from S&M
S&M (an abbreviation of Symphony and Metallica) is a live album by the American heavy metal band Metallica, with the San Francisco Symphony conducted by Michael Kamen. It was recorded on April 21–22, 1999 at The Berkeley Community Theatre. This is the final Metallica album to feature Jason Newsted as bassist.
S&M contains performances of Metallica songs with additional symphonic accompaniment, which was composed by Michael Kamen, who also conducted the orchestra during the concert. The idea to combine heavy metal with an epic classical approach, as James Hetfield has stated repeatedly, was an idea of Cliff Burton. Burton’s love of classical music, especially of Johann Sebastian Bach, can be traced back to many instrumental parts and melodic characteristics in Metallica’s songwriting including songs from Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets. The other inspiration was Deep Purple's 1969 Concerto for Group and Orchestra. Purple revived their hybrid musical performance in 1999's Live at the Royal Albert Hall after being notified that Metallica were doing theirs earlier that year.
In addition to songs from previous albums spanning Ride the Lightning through ReLoad, there are two new compositions: "No Leaf Clover" and "−Human". "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Ennio Morricone, Metallica's entrance music, was played live by the orchestra. "No Leaf Clover" has since been performed by Metallica in concert, using a recording of the orchestral prelude. "−Human", credited as "Minus Human", was included in the soundtrack of the Electronic Arts game NHL 99, but has never subsequently been performed.
Several other songs, including "Wasting My Hate", "The Unforgiven", "Low Man's Lyric", "Fade to Black", The Unforgiven II, "Through The Never", "Harvester of Sorrow", and unexpectly "...And Justice For All" was a thought for the setlist but due to the gap since they last played it and with little time to prepare it was chopped, also "Ronnie" and even "Mama Said" were considered for selection, but were eventually dropped as it was decided by both Metallica and Kamen that they were not well suited for symphonic accompaniment. On the S&M DVD documentary, Metallica and Kamen can be seen and heard discussing the orchestration for the Anti-Nowhere League and Metallica favourite cover-song "So What?", though it's obvious both parties were enjoying a good joke and had no intentions of performing the song.
Changes were made to the lyrics of some songs, most notably the removal of the second verse and chorus of "The Thing That Should Not Be" and playing the third verse in its place.
The "S" in the stylized "S&M" on the album cover is a backwards treble clef, while the "M" is taken from Metallica's logo.
The drum kit Ulrich used on the album currently resides in a Guitar Center in San Francisco.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Q Spin Entertainment Weekly B Allmusic  Rolling Stone 
- Rolling Stone (January 20, 2000, pp. 57–59) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...creates the most crowded, ceiling-rattling basement rec room in rock....[in its] sheer awesomeness...the performance succeeds....the monster numbers benefit from supersizing. The effect is...one of timelessness."
- Spin (February 2000, pp. 114–5) - 8 out of 10 - "...makes their tempo and texture dynamics...into a topic in and off of itself, a deep evocation of bad-voodoo creeping willies culminating in 'One' and 'Enter Sandman'....Freed from ritualized superhuman extremism, it builds a soundtrack to everyday life."
- Entertainment Weekly (December 3, 1999, p. 102) - "Buttressed by grim strings, creaky horns, and thundering timpani, staples...creep with fearful new dimension, like an old Posada print come to life." - Rating: B
- Q (February 2000, p. 86) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...another just about forgivable flirtation with Spinal Tap-esque lunacy....a fine hit-heavy live LP with bolted-on bombast from the S.F. Symphony....Michael Kamen's scores swoop and soar with impressive portent throughout."
- CMJ (December 20, 1999, p. 24) - "...stunning....orchestral renditions of hits from the bands '90s output."
S&M sold 300,000 units in the first week of release and has sold 2.5 Million copies and has been certified 5x Platinum as of 2003.
Disc one No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "The Ecstasy of Gold" (Instrumental) Ennio Morricone 2:31 2. "The Call of Ktulu" (Instrumental) James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Cliff Burton, Dave Mustaine 9:34 3. "Master of Puppets" Hetfield, Ulrich, Burton, Kirk Hammett 8:55 4. "Of Wolf and Man" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 4:19 5. "The Thing That Should Not Be" Hetfield, , Hammett 7:27 6. "Fuel" Hammett 4:36 7. "The Memory Remains" Hetfield, Ulrich 4:42 8. "No Leaf Clover" (previously unreleased) Hetfield, Ulrich 5:43 9. "Hero of the Day" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 4:45 10. "Devil's Dance" Hetfield, Ulrich 5:26 11. "Bleeding Me" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 9:02 Disc two No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Nothing Else Matters" Hetfield, Ulrich 6:47 2. "Until It Sleeps" Hetfield, Ulrich 4:30 3. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" Hetfield, Ulrich, Burton 4:52 4. "Minus Human (also seen as: −Human)" (previously unreleased) Hetfield, Ulrich 4:20 5. "Wherever I May Roam" Hetfield, Ulrich 7:02 6. "The Outlaw Torn" Hetfield, Ulrich 9:59 7. "Sad but True" Hetfield, Ulrich 5:46 8. "One" Hetfield, Ulrich 7:53 9. "Enter Sandman" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 7:39 10. "Battery" Hetfield, Ulrich 7:25
Metallica also filmed and released the concert in DVD and VHS with direction by Wayne Isham. The VHS set has only the concert video, while the double DVD set has 5.1 sound (also: 2.0 band+orchestra, 2.0 band-only and 2.0 orchestra-only), 41 minute documentary about the concert, and two "No Leaf Clover" music videos: "Slice & Dice" version and the "Maestro Edit". The DVD also contains four songs with multi-angles where each band member can be viewed individually: "Of Wolf and Man", "Fuel", "Sad But True", and "Enter Sandman".
- James Hetfield – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, lead guitar in "Nothing Else Matters" "Outro Solo in The Outlaw Torn".
- Kirk Hammett – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Jason Newsted – bass, backing vocals
- Lars Ulrich – drums, percussion
San Francisco Symphony
- Michael Kamen – conductor
- John Kieser - general manager
- Eric Achen, Joshua Garrett, Douglas Hull, Jonathan Ring, Bruce Roberts, Robert Ward, James Smelser – French horns
- David Teie principal, Richard Andaya, Barara Bogatin, Jill Rachuy Brindel, David Goldblatt – celli
- Jeremy Constant concertmaster, Daniel Banner, Enrique Bocedi, Paul Brancato, Catherine Down, Bruce Freifeld, Connie Gantsweg, Michael Gerling, Frances Jeffrey, Robert Zelnick, Yukiko Kamei, Naomi Kazama, Kum Mo Kim,Gurthanthaclops Yasuko Hattori, Melissa Kleinbart, Chumming Mo Kobialka, Daniel Kobialka, Rudolph Kremer, Kelly Leon-Pearce, Diane Nicholeris, Florin Parvulescu, Anne Pinsker, Victor Romasevich, Philip Santos, Peter Shelton – violins
- Chris Bogios, Glenn Fischthal, Andrew McCandless, Craig Morris – trumpets
- Stephen Paulson, Steven Dibner, Rob Weir – bassoons
- Steven Braunstein – contrabassoon
- Charles Chandler, Laurence Epstein, Chris Gilbert, William Ritchen, Stephen Tramontozzi, S. Mark Wright – double basses
- Anthony J. Cirone, Ray Froelich, Thomas Hemphill, Artie Storch – percussion
- Don Ehrlich, Gina Feinauer, David Gaudry, Christina King, Yun Jie Liu, Seth Mausner, Nanci Severance, Geraldine Walther – violas
- John Engelkes, Tom Hornig, Paul Welcomer, Jeff Budin – trombones
- Julie Ann Giacobassi, Eugene Izotov, Pamela Smith – oboes
- Russ deLuna – English horn
- David Herbert – timpani
- Linda Lukas, Tim Day, Robin McKee – flutes
- David Neuman, Carey Bell, Luis Beez – clarinets
- Ben Friemuth – bass clarinet
- Catherine Payne – piccolo
- Douglas Rioth – harp
- Robin Sutherland – keyboards
- Peter Wahrhaftig – tuba
- Bob Rock, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Michael Kamen – producers
- Bob Rock, Randy Staub – engineers
- Randy Staub, Ovidiu Nistor – mixing
- George Marino – mastering
- Billy Bowers, Paul DeCarli, Mike Gillies, Darren Grahn – digital editing
- Stephen McLaughlin – recording
- John Vrtacic – technical assistance
- James Brett, Darren Grahn, Billy Konkel, Leff Lefferts, Kent Matcke, Stephen McLaughlin – assistants
- Geoffrey Alexander, Ted Allen, Pete Anthony,Chris Wagner, Bruce Babcock, Chris Boardman, Bob Elhai, Michael Kamen, Blake Neely, Jonathan Sacks, Brad Warnaar – orchestration
- Michael Kamen - music director
- James Brett, Blake Neely, Michael Price – music preparation
- Vic Fraser, Blake Neely – music copyist
- Michael Kamen – arranger
- Andie Airfix – design
- Anton Corbijn – photography
- Michael Kamen – liner notes
- Wayne Isham – Video director
- Bart Lipton – Video producer
- Dana Marshall – Video producer
Year Chart Position 1999 Australian ARIA Albums Chart 1 Billboard 200 2 Top Canadian Albums 4 Top Internet Albums 1 2000 Billboard 200 182 Top Internet Albums 3 2009 Mexico Album Chart 55
Year Single Chart Position 1999 "No Leaf Clover" Mainstream Rock Tracks 1 Modern Rock Tracks 18 2000 Billboard Hot 100 74
Country Certification New Zealand 12x Platinum United States 5x Platinum
Country Certification United States 6x Platinum
Year Winner Category 2001 "The Call of Ktulu" Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance
- ^ Nothing Else Matters '99 release date
- ^ No Leaf Clover release date
- ^ "Metallica: James Hetfield Talks On Cliff Burton's Influence". Ultimate Guitar. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/metallica_james_hetfield_talks_on_cliff_burtons_influence.html.
- ^ All Metallica - Symphony of Destruction - James Hetfield: 1999
- ^ Michael Custodis, chapter Film Music in Concert: Metallica mit Michael Kamen, in: Klassische Musik heute. Eine Spurensuche in der Rockmusik, Bielefeld transcript-Verlag 2009 ISBN 978-3-8376-1249-3
- ^ Allmusic Review
- ^ Rolling Stone Review
- ^ Billboard - Google Books
- ^ "Latest Gold / Platinum Albums". RadioScope. 12 September 2010. http://www.radioscope.net.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=62. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- ^ RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America
- ^ RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America
Issues by KoЯn
Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
November 29, 1999–December 5, 1999
All the Way... A Decade of Song
by Celine Dion
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
MTV's Amp 2 (album) — Amp 2 is an Electronica compilation album released by MTV. It features prominently collaborations and remixes between electronic musicians and rappers.Infobox Album Name = MTV s Amp 2 Type = Compilation album Artist = Various Artists Released =… … Wikipedia
Album Leaf — In diesem Artikel oder Abschnitt fehlen folgende wichtige Informationen: Bandgeschichte Du kannst Wikipedia helfen, indem du sie recherchierst und einfügst … Deutsch Wikipedia
Amp Fiddler — Infobox Musical artist Name = Amp Fiddler Background = solo singer Birth name = Joseph Amp Fiddler Born = Died = Origin = Genre = Soul, funk, R B, Occupation = Singer songwriter, Keyboardist Label = Muthas Of Invention URL = http://www.ampfiddler … Wikipedia
Amp (band) — Infobox Musical artist Name = Amp Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = London, England Genre = Space rock Years active = 1992 1994 ndash;present Label = Associated acts = URL = [http://www.ampbase.net/ www … Wikipedia
Album Hootie & The Blowfish — Hootie the Blowfish (album) Hootie The Blowfish Album par Hootie The Blowfish Sortie 4 mars 2003 Durée 47:43 Genre(s) Rock US, Blues Rock Producteur(s) Don Was Label … Wikipédia en Français
Revenge (Album) — Kiss – Revenge Veröffentlichung 12. Mai 1992 Label Mercury Records Format(e) LP, CD Genre(s) Hard Rock, Heavy Metal Anzahl der Titel … Deutsch Wikipedia
Déjà vu (album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Déjà vu. Déjà vu Album par Crosby, Stills, Nash Young Sortie 11 mars 1970 Enregistrement … Wikipédia en Français
Crosby, Stills & Nash (album) — Crosby, Stills Nash Album par Crosby, Stills Nash Sortie 29 mai 1969 Enregistrement 26 juin 1968 3 avril 1969 Durée 40:52 Genre … Wikipédia en Français
American Dream (album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Rêve américain. American Dream Album par Crosby, Stills, Nash Young Sortie 3 novembre 1988 Enr … Wikipédia en Français
CSN (album) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir CSN. CSN Album par Crosby, Stills Nash Sortie 17 juin 1977 Durée 43:50 … Wikipédia en Français
All Lights Fucked On The Hairy Amp Drooling — Album par Godspeed You Black Emperor! Sortie Décembre 1994 Genre(s) Post rock Label Auto production … Wikipédia en Français