- The City Sun
The City Sun Type Weekly newspaper Format Tabloid Owner Andrew W. Cooper Founded 1984 Ceased publication 1996 Headquarters Brooklyn, New York Circulation 18,500 (1987)
The City Sun was founded by African-American journalists Andrew W. Cooper and Utrice C. Leid. Cooper served as publisher and Leid as managing editor. Film critic Armond White was the arts editor.
The City Sun, whose motto was "Speaking Truth to Power", was rare among black-owned newspapers in its critical attitude toward African-American politicians. It could be unsparing in its criticism of prominent African Americans. In a front-page editorial in 1993, the newspaper advised David Dinkins, New York's first African American mayor, that he was "beginning to look like a wimp".
In 1989 The City Sun, together with the Amsterdam News, another black-owned newspaper in New York, published the name of the "Central Park jogger", Trisha Meili, who had been raped and beaten almost to death. Leid explained her decision to name the jogger by referring to an incident involving Tawana Brawley, a minor who said she had been raped, and the double standard practiced by the mainstream media:
The same media [that] had no difficulty identifying the underage Wappinger-Falls teenager [Brawley] by name [and] invading the sanctity of her home to show her face ... have been careful to avoid identifying the Central Park woman.
In 1996, financial difficulties led Cooper to shut down The City Sun. The business owed $380,000 in taxes and it had been evicted from its offices for not paying its rent.
According to The New York Times, The City Sun had a circulation of 18,500 in 1987. In 1996, when The City Sun ceased operations, The Times wrote that the newspaper's circulation could not be determined.
- ^ a b c Jones, Alex S. (1987-08-17). "Black Papers: Businesses With a Mission". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE2DF143DF934A2575BC0A961948260. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ a b c Dawkins, Wayne. "Why did The City Sun (1984-1996) matter?". African American Literature Book Club. http://aalbc.com/reviews/whydidthe_nyc_sun_matter.htm. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ Kipp, Jeremiah (April 2002). "Beyond Entertainment: An Interview With Film Critic Armond White". Senses of Cinema. Archived from the original on 2008-06-02. http://web.archive.org/web/20080602222239/http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/02/20/armond.html. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ Purdum, Todd S. (1993-09-12). "Buttoned Up". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE5DF1E3DF931A2575AC0A965958260. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ Jacobs, James B.; Kimberly Potter (1998). Hate Crimes: Criminal Law & Identity Politics. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. p. 141. ISBN 0-19-511448-5. http://books.google.com/books?id=JRgUBNEvzuwC&pg=PA141. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ "Past Winners". National Association of Black Journalists. Archived from the original on 2008-06-01. http://web.archive.org/web/20080601092527/http://www.nabj.org/awards/honors/past_winners/index.php. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- ^ a b Foderaro, Lisa W. (1996-11-09). "Black Weekly's Survival Is in Question". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E4DE143BF93AA35752C1A960958260. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
The Eastside Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = caption = The January, 2008 front page of The Eastside Sun type = Monthly newspaper format = Tabloid foundation = 2006 owners = Menefreghista Inc. headquarters = 229 Wells Ave South #123 Renton, Washington 98057 (206) 633 … Wikipedia
The Baltimore Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = The Baltimore Sun caption = The October 20, 2006 front page of The Sun type = Daily newspaper format = Broadsheet foundation = 1837 owners = Tribune Company headquarters = 501 North Calvert Street Baltimore, Maryland… … Wikipedia
The Desert Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = The Desert Sun caption = The December 22, 2006 front page of The Desert Sun type = Daily newspaper format = Broadsheet foundation = 1927 ceased publication = price = owners = Gannett Company publisher = Michelle Krans… … Wikipedia
The Vancouver Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = type = Daily newspaper format = Broadsheet foundation = 1912 owners = CanWest Global Communications Corp. headquarters = Vancouver, BC, Canada * editor = Patricia Graham publisher = Kevin D. Bent | ISSN = 0832 1299… … Wikipedia
The Seventh Sun — Infobox VG| title = The Seventh Sun: Age of Prosperity developer = Colonnelli Entertainment publisher = Colonnelli Entertainment engine = CoffeeMUD released = In Development platforms = OS Independent genre = MMORPG, MUD modes = MultiplayerThe… … Wikipedia
The Raging Sun — Infobox Album Name = The Raging Sun Type = studio Artist = Logh Released = May 12, 2003 (Sweden) May 26, 2003 (Europe) Recorded = February 2003 Genre = Post rock, shoegaze Length = 43:21 Label = Bad Taste Records Producer = Logh, John Congleton… … Wikipedia
The Midnight Sun — Infobox Television episode Title = The Midnight Sun Series = The Twilight Zone Caption =Lois Nettleton as Norma in The Midnight Sun Season = 3 Episode = 75 Airdate =November 17, 1961 Production =4818 Writer =Rod Serling Director =Anton Leader… … Wikipedia
The Gainesville Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = | caption = The March 17, 2006 front page of The Gainesville Sun type = Daily newspaper format = Broadsheet foundation = 1876 owners = The New York Times Company headquarters = 2700 SW 13th St. Gainesville, FL 32608 2015… … Wikipedia
The Edmond Sun — Infobox Newspaper name = The Edmond Sun caption = type = Daily newspaper format = Broadsheet foundation = owners = Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. publisher = Larry Miller editor = Lisa Shearer price = headquarters = 123 South Broadway Edmond,… … Wikipedia
The City of the Moving Waters — Graphicnovelbox| englishtitle = The City of the Moving Waters foreigntitle = La Cité des Eaux Mouvantes publisher = Dargaud date = 1970 series = Valérian and Laureline origpublication = Pilote origissues = 455 to 468 (Part 1: La Cité des Eaux… … Wikipedia