- Cluster diagram
A Cluster diagram or clustering diagram is a general type of diagram, which represents some kind of cluster. A cluster in general is a group or bunch of several discrete items that are close to each other. 
The cluster diagram figures a cluster, such as a network diagram figures a network, a flow diagram a process or movement of objects, and a tree diagram an abstract tree. But all these diagrams can be considered interconnected: A network diagram can be seen as a special orderly arranged kind of cluster diagram. A cluster diagram is a mesh kind of network diagram. A flow diagram can be seen as a line type of network diagram, and a tree diagram a tree type of network diagram.
Types of cluster diagrams
Specific types of cluster diagrams are:
- In brainstorming a cluster diagrams is also called cloud diagram. They can be considered "are a type of non-linear graphic organizer that can help to systematize the generation of ideas based upon a central topic. Using this type of diagram... can more easily brainstorm a theme, associate about an idea, or explore a new subject". Also, the term cluster diagrams is sometimes used as synonym of mind maps".
- In computer science more complex diagrams of computer networks, computer architecture, file systems and internet can be considered cluster diagrams.
- In information visualization specific visual representation of large-scale collections of non-numerical information are sometimes drawn in the shape of a cluster diagram.
- In quantum field theory for example, according to Crawford (1998), the called coupled cluster diagram is a "simple diagrammatic formalism popularized by Kucharski and Bartlett [in 1986] by which one may construct the coupled cluster energy and amplitude equations far more quickly than by direct application of Wick's theorem".
UML Class diagram
- In the Unified Modeling Language (UML) all structure diagrams can be considered cluster diagrams. These structure diagrams emphasize what things must be in the system being modeled. UML encounters here the Class diagram, Component diagram, Composite structure diagram, Deployment diagram, Object diagram, and the Package diagram.
- ^ Lemma cluster at Wiktionary. Retrieved Sept 18, 2008.
- ^ Illustration called City of London Skyscraper Cluster Diagram at skyscrapernews.com. Retrieved 18 september 2008. Comment: This illustration depicts a "comparison diagram", but yet is called a "cluster diagram".
- ^ Cluster/Cloud Diagrams at enchantedlearning.com. 2003-2009. Accessed Nov 17, 2009.
- ^ Cluster diagrams are another way to mind map by starting with the keywords first. at www.brainstorming-that-works.com. Retrieved 18 september 2008.
- ^ T. Daniel Crawford (1998). "An Introduction to Coupled Cluster Diagrams". In: Reviews in computational chemistry. Kenny B. Lipkowitz, Donald B. Boyd eds. (2000) Vol 14. p.77. (Retrieved 18 september 2008).
- Lee E. Brasseur (2003). Visualizing technical information: a cultural critique. Amityville, N.Y: Baywood Pub. ISBN 0-89503-240-6.
- M. Dale and J. Moon (1988). "Statistical tests on two characteristics of the shapes of cluster diagrams". in: Journal of Classification, 1988, vol. 5, issue 1, pages 21–38.
- Robert E. Horn (1999). Visual Language: Global Communication for the 21st Century. MacroVU Press.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cluster — A cluster is a small group or bunch of something. Contents 1 In science 2 In astrophysics 3 In biology and health sciences 4 In computing … Wikipedia
Cluster algebra — Cluster algebras are a class of commutative rings introduced by Fomin and Zelevinsky (2002, 2003, 2007). A cluster algebra of rank n is an integral domain A, together with some subsets of size n called clusters whose union generates the… … Wikipedia
Cluster analysis (in marketing) — Cluster analysis is a class of statistical techniques that can be applied to data that exhibit “natural” groupings. Cluster analysis sorts through the raw data and groups them into clusters. A cluster is a group of relatively homogeneous cases or … Wikipedia
cluster — clusteringly, adv. clustery, adj. /klus teuhr/, n. 1. a number of things of the same kind, growing or held together; a bunch: a cluster of grapes. 2. a group of things or persons close together: There was a cluster of tourists at the gate. 3. U.S … Universalium
Cluster analysis — The result of a cluster analysis shown as the coloring of the squares into three clusters. Cluster analysis or clustering is the task of assigning a set of objects into groups (called clusters) so that the objects in the same cluster are more… … Wikipedia
Network diagram — A network diagram is a general type of diagram, which represents some kind of network. A network in general is an interconnected group or system, or a fabric or structure of fibrous elements attached to each other at regular intervals.A network… … Wikipedia
Globular cluster — s from the Sun and contains hundreds of thousands of stars. [cite news coauthors =The Hubble Heritage team url = http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1999/26/ title = Hubble Images a Swarm of Ancient Stars work = HubbleSite… … Wikipedia
Hertzsprung–Russell diagram — Hertzsprung–Russell diagram with 22,000 stars plotted from the Hipparcos catalog and 1,000 from the Gliese catalog of nearby stars. Stars tend to fall only into certain regions of the diagram. The most predominant is the diagonal, going from… … Wikipedia
star cluster — Astron. a number of stars of common origin held together as a group by gravitational attraction. Cf. globular cluster, open cluster, stellar association. * * * ▪ astronomy Introduction either of two general types of stellar assemblages held… … Universalium
Color–color diagram — In astronomy, color–color diagrams are a means of comparing the apparent magnitudes of stars at different wavelengths. Astronomers typically observe at narrow bands around certain wavelengths, and objects observed will have different brightnesses … Wikipedia