- Gary Habermas
Habermas is Distinguished Professor of Apologetics and Philosophy and chairman of the department of philosophy and theology at
Liberty Universityin Lynchburg, Virginia. He holds a Ph.D.(1976) from Michigan State Universityin the area of Historyand Philosophy of Religion; and an M.A. (1973) from the University of Detroitin Philosophical Theology. He is a prolific author, lecturer, and debater on the topic of the Resurrection of Jesus. His work defending the resurrectionis often cited in the area of Christian apologetics. He has also specialized in cataloging and communicating trends among scholars in the field of historical Jesusand New Testamentstudies. Habermas has authored twenty-one books on religious and philosophical subjects. He continues to do research, publish popular and academic papers, give debates, and he frequently appears on television.
Gary Habermas and Antony Flew
In 1985, Dr. Gary Habermas and
Antony Flewdebated the question of Jesus' resurrection as a literal and historical/physical event, before a crowd of three thousand people. Five philosophers and five professional debate judges judged the debate. Of the philosophers, who judged on the content of the debate, four voted that Habermas won, and the other was undecided. Of the debate judges, who voted on debate technique, three voted for Habermas while two voted for Flew. [http://www.bible.org/page.asp?page_id=639] The debate was published as a book under the title "Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate" (Harper & Row).
In 2004, Habermas conducted an interview with
Antony Flewpublished in Biola University's "Philosophia Christi" journal, in which Flew reversed his long-standing espousal of atheismby endorsing deistic theism[http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/] . This interview has been the source of some minor controversy, centering on claims made in the interview's preface regarding the scope and nature of Flew's beliefs, and his subsequent contradictory statements endorsing atheism, the latter being a misnomer, for Flew clearly no longer supports the inference or verdict of atheism, but rather the evidential method or route by which one may secure such a verdict, i.e., the "Presumption of Atheism" is default, nullified only on the condition that the degree of proof is met [http://www.humaniststudies.org/enews/index.html?id=172&syn=true#n1] .
* "Resurrected? : An Atheist and Theist Dialogue", 2005
* with Licona, Michael "The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus", Kregel, 2004
* with Moreland, J.P. "Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence for Immortality", 2004
* "The Risen Jesus & Future Hope", 2003
* "The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ" (College Press: Joplin, MI 1996).
* "Ancient Evidence for the Life of Jesus: Historical Records of His Death and Resurrection"
* "Dealing With Doubt"
* "The Thomas Factor: Using Your Doubts to Draw Closer to God"
* Gary R. Habermas and Antony G. N. Flew, "Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate", ed. Terry L. Miethe (San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1987; Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2003).
* [http://www.garyhabermas.com Dr. Gary Habermas — biographical information]
* [http://www.theopedia.com/Gary_Habermas Gary Habermas on Theopedia]
* [http://www.apologetics.com/default.jsp?bodycontent=/articles/historical_apologetics/habermas-nt.html Why I Believe The New Testament Is Historically Reliable by Dr. Gary Habermas]
* [http://www.garyhabermas.com/articles/crj_explainingaway/crj_explainingaway.htm Explaining Away Jesus’ Resurrection: The Recent Revival of Hallucination Theories by Gary R. Habermas]
* [http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/NTeSources/NTArticles/CTR-NT/Habermas-Resurrection1-CTR.pdf Jesus' Resurrection and Contemporary Criticism: An Apologetic (Part I) - PDF File]
* [http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebrandt/NTeSources/NTArticles/CTR-NT/Habermas-Resurrection2-CTR.pdf Jesus' Resurrection and Contemporary Criticism: An Apologetic (Part II) - PDF File]
* [http://www.tektonics.org/books/lichabrvw.html Book Review: Gary Habermas and Mike Licona, The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus]
* [http://www.equip.org/free/JAR011.pdf Recent Perspectives on the Reliability of the Gospels - PDF file]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Habermas — People with the surname Habermas include:*German pragmatic philosopher and critical theorist Jürgen Habermas *Christian apologist and philosophical theologian Gary Habermas … Wikipedia
Gary Schaal — Gary S. Schaal (* 1971 in Berlin) ist ein deutscher Politikwissenschaftler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben 2 Forschungstätigkeit 3 Publikationen 3.1 Monographien … Deutsch Wikipedia
Foucault-Habermas-Debatte — Die Foucault Habermas Debatte fand zwischen den Philosophen Michel Foucault und Jürgen Habermas statt. Inhaltlich drehte sie sich im Wesentlichen um einen Konflikt zwischen Habermas’ Konzepten des kommunikativen Handelns bzw. der Diskursethik zum … Deutsch Wikipedia
Foucault-Habermas debate — The Foucault/Habermas debate is a dispute concerning whether Michel Foucault s ideas of power analytics and genealogy or Jürgen Habermas s ideas of communicative rationality and discourse ethics provide a better critique of the nature of power… … Wikipedia
Antony Flew — Infobox Philosopher region = Western Philosophy era = 20th century philosophy color = #B0C4DE image caption = Antony Flew name = Antony Garrard Newton Flew birth = birth date and age|1923|2|11 school tradition = Analytic main interests =… … Wikipedia
Antony Flew — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Antony Garrard Newton Flew (Londres, 11 de febrero de 1923) es un filósofo inglés. Perteneciente a las escuelas del pensamiento analíticas y evidecialistas, notable por sus trabajos en filosofía de la religión.… … Wikipedia Español
Bibliography — ❖ Abelard, Peter (1849 59), Opera, ed. V. Cousin and C. Jourdain, Paris: Durand. ❖ Abelard, Peter (1855), Opera Omnia, ed. J. P. Migne, Paris: Garnier. ❖ Abelard, Peter (1969 87), Opera Theologica, i iii, ed. E. Buytaert and C. Mews, Corpus… … Christian Philosophy
List of Christian apologetic works — This list contains works related to Christian apologetics. See also List of apologetic works.References* Bush, L. Russ. 1983. Classical Readings in Christian Apologetics AD. 100 1800 .Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan. * Geisler, Norman L. 1999.… … Wikipedia
Christian apologetics — Part of a series on Christianity … Wikipedia
Internet Infidels — Internet Infidels, Inc. is a Colorado Springs, Colorado based nonprofit educational organization founded in 1995 by Jeffery Jay Lowder and Brett Lemoine that maintains [http://www.infidels.org/ The Secular Web] , an online library of resources… … Wikipedia