Neapolitan may refer to:
- Neapolitan, of or pertaining to the city of Naples, Italy and sometimes its wider Duchy or Province of Naples
- Neapolitan cuisine
- Neapolitan language, a language of Naples and environs in southern Italy
- Neapolitan horse, an extinct horse breed formerly bred in Naples
- Neapolitan ice cream, a mixture of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream side-by-side in the same container
- Neapolitan school, of music
- Neapolitan chord (also known as Neapolitan sixth), in music, is the first inversion of a major chord built on the lowered second (supertonic) scale degree
- Neapolitan scale
- Neapolitan Mastiff, a large, ancient breed of dog
- Neapolitan music, music of Naples
- Neapolitan piastra, a currency of the mainland part of the former Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
- Neapolitan sauce, a basic tomato-based sauce derived from Italian cuisine
- Neapolitan ragù
- Neapolitan song, Canzone Napoletana
- Neapolitan pizza, a variety of pizza made according to strict rules
- Neapolitan War
- Naporitan, the name of a pasta dish, which is popular in Japan
- All pages beginning with "Neapolitan"
- All pages with titles containing "Neapolitan"
- Neapolitan Republic (disambiguation)
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neapolitan — (n.) early 15c., native or resident of Naples, lit. of Naples, from L. Neapolitanus, from Neapolis (see NAPLES (Cf. Naples)); it preserves in English the Greek name of the city. As an adjective from 1590s. As a type of ice cream, from 1871;… … Etymology dictionary
Neapolitan — Ne a*pol i*tan, prop. a. [L. Neapolitanus, fr. Neapolis Naples, Gr. ?, lit., New town.] Of of pertaining to Naples in Italy. n. A native or citizen of Naples. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Neapolitan — ► NOUN ▪ a person from the Italian city of Naples. ► ADJECTIVE 1) relating to Naples. 2) (of ice cream) made in layers of different colours and flavours … English terms dictionary
Neapolitan — [nē΄ə päl′ə tən] adj. [L Neapolitanus < Neapolites, a citizen of Naples < Neapolis, Naples < Gr, lit., new town] of Naples or its people n. a person born or living in Naples … English World dictionary
Neapolitan — n. & adj. n. a native or citizen of Naples in Italy. adj. of or relating to Naples. Phrases and idioms: Neapolitan ice cream ice cream made in layers of different colours. Neapolitan violet a sweet scented double viola. Etymology: ME f. L… … Useful english dictionary
Neapolitan — noun Etymology: Middle English, from Latin neapolitanus of Naples, from Greek neapolitēs citizen of Naples, from Neapolis Naples Date: 15th century a native or inhabitant of Naples, Italy • Neapolitan adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
Neapolitan — /nee euh pol i tn/, adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Naples: a Neapolitan love song. n. 2. a native or inhabitant of Naples. [1375 1425; late ME Neopolitan < L Neapolitanus. See NAPLES ( < Gk Neápolis lit., new town), ITE1, AN] * * … Universalium
Neapolitan — 1. adjective a) Pertaining to Naples. b) Describing an ice cream combination of the flavours chocolate, vanilla and strawberry in order. Also called neapolitan ice cream. 2. noun a) An inhabitant or resident of Naples … Wiktionary
neapolitan — ne|a|pol|i|tan [ˌnı:əˈpɔlıtən US ˈpa: ] adj [Date: 1400 1500; : Latin; Origin: neapolitanus, from Greek Neapolis Naples ] neapolitan ↑ice cream has layers of different colours and tastes … Dictionary of contemporary English
neapolitan — adjective neapolitan ice cream has layers of different colours and tastes … Longman dictionary of contemporary English